Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

a car for 2012

Old 01-30-2015, 04:36 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
I never said anyone was under duress to buy I was making the point that nott completed, the forecourt price will be 40ish.

I'd never trade in. Never have. Always buy cash and sell privately.
I read from the tone of your post that the dealers were doing something wrong and that the trade in figure was a surprise. If not to you, then to your colleague.

What have I missed?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My point was that the dealers will offer bottom book for a car then sell on at top book. I understand the business side of this.

My point was that a 34k bm will sit proud on the network for 42. I know, I know...

But the REAL point was to warn nott at the risks with that 235
Old 01-30-2015, 05:25 AM

Received 649 Likes on 565 Posts

Fast, good, depreciation full (assuming it's a spanker). That's the main downside

Work colleague was telling me yest, his £57k, 16 month '1 of 500' M3 went into the dealers for a price this week. 9k on the clock. £34k.

Dealers are absolute shysters.
and here we go

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/M/4.0-Limi...cmdc=se_na_re_

£40k and higher mileage

I agree dealers are wanting crazy margin.. they will add £1k warranty (for £400) to that car and wash and hoover it
our Golf was up for trade 2 months after we bought (missus back playing up), they offered £3.5k less than paid.

suffice to say i declined. the price we paid was keen enough though, they shaft you at the other end now

edit to say i like this
http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/M/4.0-V8/N...cmdc=se_na_re_

and if it had CSLs i might go for it but it would be folly
Old 01-30-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

This is the one for you Jason
Top Cars of Sheffield £36,750

Apart from the black rear spoiler it looks the identical spec to the Performance 30 run-out spec that I have except they removed the dash and doorstep badging. Bet it doesn't have the 12v sockets either Still it's already fitted with a DAB radio so you should be sorted. Quite like that diddy spoiler (whatever I said before). Hmmmm.

If you get that 235M it'll price match this after 18 months with depreciation.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:54 PM

That is nice but...

I often have a sniff round AUC but its just leisure, theres little point (to me) spending another £14k+ for a newer version of mine
Old 01-31-2015, 05:17 AM
Banned

My point was that the dealers will offer bottom book for a car then sell on at top book. I understand the business side of this.

My point was that a 34k bm will sit proud on the network for 42. I know, I know...

But the REAL point was to warn nott at the risks with that 235
OK

I just don't see what the issue is with {insert your hated brand here] dealerships.

Everyone KNOWS how they work but I'm not sure how much people think it costs to rent and run a typical dealership.

Even a small garage, far from the stainless steel and glass edifice that typifies makes like BMW is going to cost you north of £100K a year in rent, rates and utility bills, before you start paying any staff.

On the trade-in in question, circa £10K of the purchase price was VAT

And your colleague bought a limited edition - which is as close to a mug's game as it gets in the car business (I know there are always exceptions)
Old 01-31-2015, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't dispute any of what you typed but then I'm from a mindset that buys cash private and sells private. Getting caught up in the dealer network opens up the ridiculous margin want/need.

My point was to argue that the one shite thing in that 235 will be the losses, the rest will be pretty good.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:30 AM

I think some people live entirely in the comfortable bosom of dealer land.

When i bought my M i could not find a compelling private deal. I didnt pay over the odds (i think)

But selling them a car is tantamount to anal rape these days. As gad says they have huge overheads to service.. And generally service helps with that
Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

When I bought my ideal M3 (from a dealer in Carlisle) they gave me a few weeks to sell my old one privately. No one came forward. I priced it by looking at all others on the market then dropped it £1,000 or more every few days for the duration of the Autotrader advert. I said it was bound for a dealer at £low if I didn't sell privately. Anyone looking could see what I was doing. I had over a thousand looks and in the end only one caller who offered £3,000 under, which was £2,000 less than than my agreed trade-in.

It is all very well for expert traders to pontificate but in the real world of BMW warrantied cars you take what you can get. This depreciated about what I expected in the year of ownership and I shall consider what to do when it gets to three years old. My experience so far over five years and three cars is that they are well built and I will think hard about the £167/month to extend the BMW warranty come December.

If the missus didn't have such a squitty little car I would strongly consider the new MX5. The S2000 was a one off I will always love but they never attended to the original flaws and I shouldn't have to twitch my bum driving it nor do I want to spend time fixing and maintaining it. Not my scene.

Back to basics and the open road with the wind in your hair (if only I had some!) for me. If only I can persuade the other half to drive a sensible car with room in it - like the M3
Old 01-31-2015, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I think some people live entirely in the comfortable bosom of dealer land.

When i bought my M i could not find a compelling private deal. I didnt pay over the odds (i think)

But selling them a car is tantamount to anal rape these days. As gad says they have huge overheads to service.. And generally service helps with that
Forgive me as I've only been involved in business for the best part of four decades but is there some sort of unwritten rule about making a profit that's specific to main dealers?

Should their profit in a car be capped at say, £3K?

I'm sorry but I just can't take this outrage seriously.

Quick Reply: a car for 2012