Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Bugger - 3 points on the licence... (rant content)

Old 04-02-2007, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stormcloud,Apr 2 2007, 10:14 AM
My only other 3 points are 3 years old in May, so this is a fresh batch, suppose I'll have to phone the insurance people and let them know. Of course when I phone them in May to tell them my old 3 points no longer count I'm sure they'll completely ignore my request for reducing my premium.
But they are valid for insurance companies for 5 years, not 3
Old 04-02-2007, 07:10 AM

Yes, I'm sure the insurance company have a 5 year hold on the points as well, just totally wrong.

I did get caught for speeding and not dangerous driving. Although I'm sure if you asked a police officer what the problem was with speeding he would say you are more likely to cause an accident so it is dangerous, hence why I treated the two as one.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Welshman,Apr 2 2007, 09:05 AM
So you have my sympathy but if you can't do the time don't do the crime!
I think that probably sums up my take on it too.

Anyone who does any significant amount over 70 (i.e. it isn't just a minor lapse in concentration and you've sneaked a little over the limit) has to know that they're running the risk of getting done, in the current "Speed kills" climate and when drivers are an easy target.

There's no a lot of point banging on about whether you were driving safely or whether 70 is a reasonable limit to start with. Neither is ultimately relevant. It's frustrating - and I'm sure I'd be just as hacked off as you are - but it's really just an occupational hazard of spirited driving these days. You know the risks when you choose to drive at those kind of speed.

If I were you, I'd try to focus on the fact that a few mph more and you'd have had a lot more to be mad about.....
Old 04-02-2007, 08:00 AM

Accepted, I knew my speed was over the 70mph limit and was not required for any valid reason.

However, with cars as capable as they are now, if performance cars were not physically able to be driven above the speed limit given for any road in the UK, would you actually buy one?

On with life I go.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Welshman,Apr 2 2007, 08:05 AM
...So you have my sympathy but if you can't do the time don't do the crime!

Sorry to hear about your 3 points mate. Nice to see your local Police are putting their limited resources to good use once again, by generating some more revenue.

Don't dwell on it too much mate. The f**kers get a few more
Old 04-02-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Apr 2 2007, 03:38 PM
...it's really just an occupational hazard .........these days...
Mark, the last time I got done the lady police officer said "you don't seem very upset" and then seemed less than impressed when I used those exact words
Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by stormcloud,Apr 2 2007, 04:00 PM
Accepted, I knew my speed was over the 70mph limit and was not required for any valid reason.

However, with cars as capable as they are now, if performance cars were not physically able to be driven above the speed limit given for any road in the UK, would you actually buy one?

On with life I go.
I agree with you on a lot of your points (scuse the pun) although with the caveat that I don't know the road in question so have no idea how that speed relates to it.

I disagree iwth your point about cars though ; peoples perception times and reaction times haven't got any quicker (that I know of), or their ability to control a car or see around corners.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Starlight,Apr 2 2007, 07:14 AM
especially as you were driving (I assume in the S) a car design to perform very safely at speed unlike some of the vehicles that go down the outside lane.
Yes the cars are designed to perform safely at speed....

What about the idiots that are driving them?
Old 04-02-2007, 02:20 PM

Has anyone ever tried driving around numerous roads (non motorway) below the speed limit for an extended period?

It highlights how the road law has not kept pace with the safety and handling of modern cars, especially in good driving conditions.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:23 PM

At the end of the day, the actions of a few make it difficult for most, that's life I s'pose.

Quick Reply: Bugger - 3 points on the licence... (rant content)