Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Bruce in his Spiritual Homeland

Old 04-04-2016, 12:57 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

So nice to see a car thread with a dirty car actually being driven.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Great stuff, Mikey. I understand why you bought it, now.

I'm actually surprised the roads there ARE so wide and it doesn't appear to be much of an issue.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:26 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

DSC01024 by Mikey K 650S

Is the flowerpot an extra ?

Beautiful landscape & car pics.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shis - thanks many are from a new camera I was messing with
UF - I know what you mean about Devon & Cornwall (more so Cornwall). I'm hoping to avoid the obvious bottle necks It looks wider than it feels.
I keep thinking about IoM and NI.
Ferries aren't an issue with 60mm lift all round! (it looks very odd but works well!)
The roof is actually very simple, one cover that tilts up and two panels that stack underneath. Slower than the S2000 works up to 25 mph though!
Martin - we didn't do it as a looped route more a star going out from Inverness area each day in the opposite direction to the bad weather (well most days!)
Nut & Groova - we were pleasantly surprised just how practical and useable it is! We have walking boots and all sorts in there! I refused to wash it (its still dirty!) until I got home
Nick - Once you get in the wilds above Inverness ALL the roads are single track with passing places, it's not an issue at all, plus the thing stops on a six pence so cars suddenly round bends don't get very close This trip was a bit of a trial of how well it would cope before we do France and Norway. I'm REALLY looking forward to them
JML - that's actually a Haggis in disguise
Old 04-04-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

A pic the wife took on the road to Durness a few years ago,

these pictures remind me of good friend who would organise trips but very sadly is no longer with us.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:11 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Great pics.

I did a lot of those roads a few years back but unfortunately in a pos hire Focus. I think they're impossible to beat anywhere else in the UK. At least it's bloody freezing a lot of the time, or my jealousy would be off the scale.

It used to be said that Porsche made the only 'usable' supercars in terms of being able to use them for higher mileages but I'm not sure that's true as most other supercars are more mileage sensitive when it comes to value. Maybe Mclaren will acquire a similar repuation for durability.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:07 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

We covered 600 miles in a week on the IOM - sadly in the Aygo and that was during TT fortnight - still plenty of space and easy to get around. Only really a bit manic just prior to and just after racing.

I didn't realise just how pretty it is - however it is VERY much weather dependant.

Plenty of walking / hiking to be done if that's your bag
Old 04-05-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

600 miles on the IoM,! You must have covered every inch of Tarmac on the island, biggest mileage we did in a day was around the circuit on Mad Sunday.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by martin j
A pic the wife took on the road to Durness a few years ago,

these pictures remind me of good friend who would organise trips but very sadly is no longer with us.
That's the old military road over the Lecht SE of Inverness, ~3.5 hours from Durness
Belting bit of road!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Great pics.

I did a lot of those roads a few years back but unfortunately in a pos hire Focus. I think they're impossible to beat anywhere else in the UK. At least it's bloody freezing a lot of the time, or my jealousy would be off the scale.

It used to be said that Porsche made the only 'usable' supercars in terms of being able to use them for higher mileages but I'm not sure that's true as most other supercars are more mileage sensitive when it comes to value. Maybe Mclaren will acquire a similar repuation for durability.
some fantastic (empty) roads and scenery all with in a days drive
It wasn't that cold, well nothing that hat, gloves and heated seats couldn't sort
I think you are right on usability, many more are capable now, though few do it as mileage kills the value.
Doesn't affect McLarens as much, an owner recently sold a 2 year old "kermit green" 650S spider with 16k miles on it for £25k less than I paid for mine new built to order. There has been a run on 12C sales so far this year so I'm hopeful on values but not paying too much attention

Quick Reply: Bruce in his Spiritual Homeland