Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Britains most dangerous roads?

Old 06-26-2007 | 11:28 AM
Administrator
Gold Member (Premium)

Thumbs up Britains most dangerous roads?

I expect the numbers such because these are good roads, and maybe lots of bikers?

Although I do not like the headline "most dangerous roads" they are not necessarily so, statistically they may have had the most accidents on them, but there might be even more dangerous roads, that are so dangerouns people are more careful and therefore less accidents

Anyway, some interesting ones, if you read between the usual nanny state hype

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6236636.stm
Old 06-26-2007 | 12:16 PM

That's strange because the other year it was the road to Gainsborough and that doesn't get a mention.

A46 is notorious round here for accidents - I avoid it and go A15 to Lincoln - wonder sometimes if it's due to rural traffic that people are desperate to overtake and therefore take unneccessary risks on these sorts of roads.
Old 06-26-2007 | 12:24 PM

This has nothing to do with statistics.

Thay are one off ABSOLUTE figures.

You are right Ian-you need to look at traffic density and speed of traffic.

It's also the number of accidents rather than number of deaths that we should look at (as % of traffic density)
Old 06-27-2007 | 03:52 AM

Thos figures are all a bunch of crap, changes year on year, and no-one seems to learn how to give correct statistics!
Old 06-27-2007 | 04:35 AM

I used to produce stats like this, my boss used to come to me and tell me the result and then to do the stats for that result.
Old 06-27-2007 | 04:41 AM

I know the road at the top of the list (A682) and the third on the list (A683) very well.

They have some common features:

1. Used by a variety of traffic HGV (quarry traffic, drive like nutters as they're paid by the load), farm vehicles, commuter traffic, tourist traffic at the weekend motorcycles (the A683 goes to Devil's Bridge)

2. Narrow and twisty for an A road (that's why the bikes like them)

I would say that they are not inherantly dangerous (I use them both regularly and haven't had any serious issues - touch wood). I just think that the variety of traffic that use them and the speed differential that often occurs emans that they have, perhaps, more than their fair share of accidents...
Old 06-27-2007 | 04:43 AM

I say put speed cameras on all of them and a blanket 50 zone.

All the 50 zones round here say "It's 50 for a reason, slow down".

Must be true that driving at 60 caused all the accidents.

Wow, I could not believe there was such a simple solution.
Old 06-27-2007 | 05:31 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

I'm not surprised that the A54 Congleton to Buxton is 2nd on the list - I know it well, and it's part of my favourite route if I've got an hour to take the car for a run.

It's a winding undulating stretch that attracts a lot of bikers and petrolheads, but it's also the main route from eastern Cheshire up into the Peaks and so it's common for it to be quite busy with dawdling "normal" traffic. With very few obvious passing places, I can imagine that people get impatient and try to force an overtake where maybe they shouldn't.....
Old 06-27-2007 | 07:15 AM
JMP

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Jun 27 2007, 02:31 PM
I'm not surprised that the A54 Congleton to Buxton is 2nd on the list - I know it well, and it's part of my favourite route if I've got an hour to take the car for a run.

It's a winding undulating stretch that attracts a lot of bikers and petrolheads, but it's also the main route from eastern Cheshire up into the Peaks and so it's common for it to be quite busy with dawdling "normal" traffic. With very few obvious passing places, I can imagine that people get impatient and try to force an overtake where maybe they shouldn't.....
I had the opportunity to take that road a few days ago going from Macclesfield to Stoke-on-Trent. (Yes, the long way round )It was about 8pm and the road was deserted, but for maybe 2 cars going in my direction. The road then from Buxton to Leek (A53) is also a lot of fun at least in the first speedy section over the top until you start hitting the 50 zones further down.
Old 06-27-2007 | 07:17 AM
JMP

And I see the A53 is also on the list a bit further down

Quick Reply: Britains most dangerous roads?