Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Boxster S

Old 07-18-2013, 09:26 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Polemicist
I know where you're coming from but... the Boxster hasn't really made a lasting impression on me. I don't get an ache to drive one again, let alone own one.

It must be an age thing or perhaps I am becoming cynical (!), but the more interesting - relatively speaking - contemporary vehicles are really about perceived brand value and social currency rather than any meaningful 'joy' in ye olde petrol-head sense. Road conditions and traffic mean using a seriously fast car is very, very limited.

I have had considerable fun tooling around in my ancient Lincoln Continental of late and methinks another classic may well be where I go for my fix of automotive fun; a 1300 cc Alfa Spider Duetto would ideal.
I saw you in your Lincoln the other week. It was a Saturday afternoon and I was sitting outside of the Waggon Inn when you went past. I was in my Porker
Chris.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Polemicist
I know where you're coming from but... the Boxster hasn't really made a lasting impression on me. I don't get an ache to drive one again, let alone own one.

It must be an age thing or perhaps I am becoming cynical (!), but the more interesting - relatively speaking - contemporary vehicles are really about perceived brand value and social currency rather than any meaningful 'joy' in ye olde petrol-head sense. Road conditions and traffic mean using a seriously fast car is very, very limited.

I have had considerable fun tooling around in my ancient Lincoln Continental of late and methinks another classic may well be where I go for my fix of automotive fun; a 1300 cc Alfa Spider Duetto would ideal.
Odd that; I can really see the appeal of the even older Giuletta/Giulia spyders. Simple beauty. And the twin-cam.

Expensive now, though.

I agree that too much 'brand image' gets in the way of most cars these days and it's a bit irritating.

One of the reasons I'm enjoying the Acura RL/Daewoo Arcadia so much. Yes, I didn't make that up.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
One of the reasons I'm enjoying the Acura RL/Daewoo Arcadia so much. Yes, I didn't make that up.
2nd gen though, not like yours
Chris.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It wasn't the Boxster's image that put me off buying one (was considering it) it's the bloody running costs! Fuel wise it's a bit better (or about the same if you're talking Boxster S and factor in the fuel quality difference) but the parks prices are a lot higher. Plus they have lists common issues that make the running costs a lot higher than an S2000. The earlier (986s) had pretty crud interiors, the plastic window couldn't be folded in half without doing the 'Boxster chop' and those horrid Fried Egg lights don't look good at all (and £1000 to swap for clears!) The facelifted 986 is better obviously, and the 987 a different car but they're a lot higher priced than an S2000 so that ruled them out for me.