Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Boxster S

Old 07-12-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
I suppose it's now effectively a Caterham 7 in the over-refined modern automotive world...
No When you drive back from a trackday and it rains, you know if you have been driving a 7 or not

As for the boxster opinion - full on agree. It was competent but a bit...sterile. Anyone could get it and drive it fast and you could drive it at a rapid pace with 60% effort.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but I don't want a car stupid people can drive because then I'll become lazy.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Poofter - try an Ariel Atom!

I think Porsches only really come 'alive' at about 10/10ths. Then you're going a bit quick for the pubic highway. They are a tad Mercedes-like at more sensible speeds. Good or bad, I suppose. But it's still a great car, even if a bit detatched.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:58 PM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Well, you get two boots and an under-roof stowage rack in a Boxster, so you're really no worse off. Even if it looks slammed.

Mind you, they are all probably a bit hot to transport good wine.

I've had tertiary fermentations going on in X-1/9s and NSXs.
Beggars cannot be choosers ....
Old 07-13-2013, 03:40 AM

Bit of a first-world problem, it's true.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Polemicist
I'm guessing you're an Audi driver?
What? God no. My dislike for overbadged Skoda's aside, I'm not even successful enough to qualify for a company car

No my comment was purely anecdotal based on the people who dis the Boxster typically driving some god awful econobox yet feel the Boxster driver is the failure for having the 'cheap' Porsche
Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 AM

Or similar 'hairdresser' comments proffered by the terminally envious & bitter...
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

If i were in the market for a new Porsche i think i would buy a Cayman.
After all with a speed camera around every corner nowadays that's more than fast enough for me
In the end 'you can't hide from the turning of the tide'
Old 07-18-2013, 02:08 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think I've changed views on the Cayman now and actually think the Boxster offers more, so I would go for that.

I saw a new Cayman yesterday and in silver it looked very uninspiring. Maybe just the colour, but I though the previous generation R looked far better.

The canvas roof on the Boxster sort of breaks it up a bit. And whilst not a big fan of roof down action, its nice to have the option without any apparent negative chassis effects.

I really do like the idea of it.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know where you're coming from but... the Boxster hasn't really made a lasting impression on me. I don't get an ache to drive one again, let alone own one.

It must be an age thing or perhaps I am becoming cynical (!), but the more interesting - relatively speaking - contemporary vehicles are really about perceived brand value and social currency rather than any meaningful 'joy' in ye olde petrol-head sense. Road conditions and traffic mean using a seriously fast car is very, very limited.

I have had considerable fun tooling around in my ancient Lincoln Continental of late and methinks another classic may well be where I go for my fix of automotive fun; a 1300 cc Alfa Spider Duetto would ideal.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:40 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I think Porsche parts prices are what originally put me off the idea of a Boxter S, plus the intermediate shaft bearing engine-detonationing scariness

Quick Reply: Boxster S