Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

BMW 120d

Old 02-27-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW 120d

Mini Clubman was in the dealer's again today to have another fault rectified that appeared after an earlier unrelated fault was supposed to be fixed... any way, the loaner was a 120d with the 177 bhp motor. I was looking forward to extended try-out of this engine.

The car had the BMW Efficient Dynamics (as my Clubman 1.6 does) and consequently has a optimal gear indicator for max. mpg/lowest CO2.

My Clubman (petrol) is ushered into 6th gear just after 40 mph.

Perversely, the 120d wasn't even suggesting 4th gear until over 30 mph. And as soon as speed dropped below 30 mph, 3rd gear was being indicated as the optimal gear. Aside from the gizmology telling me to change gear, the car itself was clearly uncomfortable pulling in high-ish gears at low-ish speeds.

When rung-out the 120d certainly felt quick, but the power delivery was put to shame by the S - and even the S is OK in 6th at 30 mph.

The overall MPG I managed in the 120d was nowt special either - I didn't thrash it and it was showing an overall of 37.8. The Clubman is averaging 41.6 in my hands.

I was expecting more. The Clubman's ride and handling are miles better too. Minis are better 'BMWs' than BMWs methinks.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:38 PM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Looks like dear Jeremy was right

[QUOTE]"Of course, because the 3-series became so enormous, BMW was able to launch the 1-series beneath it in the lineup. And that would have been fine but unfortunately it was styled by the same chap who did Corporal Jones
Old 02-28-2008, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Feb 27 2008, 11:38 PM
Looks like dear Jeremy was right

He loves the 135i though....

[QUOTE]The fact of the matter is this. The 135 coup
Old 02-28-2008, 04:17 AM

We have a 120d M-Sport (in white) sitting outside as a company pool car - not tried it yet, but don't think I'll bother if it's as bad as you say
Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 AM

The 123d I drove was every bit as dull, I can handle this as its really just a run around ecomomy car albeit far too expensive. What I felt midly irritating is that the interior quality seems to be getting worse not better, okay you have more gizmos but the feel and look of the plastic in the current bmws i think is shocking. My old man has a 535d m sport and its the same, they are no better than mondeos. The previous generation bmws seem to be made from more robust materials.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:52 AM

Sorry but when has anyone said a diesel is exciting - surely the d stands for dull.

To quote Nick Graves would be the best option!!

When people smirk when I say I drive an S, my response is to say it is exciting.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mole,Feb 28 2008, 04:29 PM
The 123d I drove was every bit as dull, I can handle this as its really just a run around ecomomy car albeit far too expensive. What I felt midly irritating is that the interior quality seems to be getting worse not better, okay you have more gizmos but the feel and look of the plastic in the current bmws i think is shocking. My old man has a 535d m sport and its the same, they are no better than mondeos. The previous generation bmws seem to be made from more robust materials.
This is true, sadly; they're now beating suppliers down on price like Ford, too.

Any Teir 2/Prestige status will soon be like the Emperor's new clothes; entirely Illusory.

And if you cannot afford the proper straight-six in your BMW, stop pretending & get something decent instead!
Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mole,Feb 28 2008, 08:29 AM
The 123d I drove was every bit as dull, I can handle this as its really just a run around ecomomy car albeit far too expensive.

Surely you bought it because it was a BMW, if you want frugal & cheap ownership then surely buy something that doesn't contradict with meaning of economical!!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:19 AM

We used to have an E46 and the interior in our E92 is much nicer, just as well built and I think the quality is good. Some of the plastics used are worse in some areas and better in others.

IMO Audi always produce the best quality interiors with the highest quality of plastics, the only problem is that they can tend to be let down by the build quality e.g. rattles.

I have sat in both the new Mondeo and the new Jag XF and I was really dissappointed, especially so with the XF which I thought was terrible. The XF is so obviously made for the Yanks, a huge let down IMO.

I like the interior in the 1 series coupe, out of all the cars that I test drove, the only car that was nicer inside was the TT.

I agree that diesels are fairly dull to drive, our 335d has got loads of torque and the acceleration can be fun, but overall I still don't get enough satisfaction out of driving diesels. I am often annoyed when people continually claim that they are 'sporty' and 'fun' to drive, maybe the R8 is, but low rev limits are frustrating.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by (S2K4ME),Feb 29 2008, 12:37 PM
Surely you bought it because it was a BMW, if you want frugal & cheap ownership then surely buy something that doesn't contradict with meaning of economical!!
Not so.

If one's definition of economical (as it is in my case) is competitive monthly contract hire cost, low maintenance costs, reduced BIK taxation then BMWs are 'economical'. Mini's more so - my optioned to the hilt Cooper Clubman costs me less in BIK than my Prius (even though the Mini was more expensive and not an eco-hybrid) and with a service deal for 80K miles costing just over

Quick Reply: BMW 120d