Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

A bit of fun for the weekend

Old 09-07-2009, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gutted for you guys!
Can you tweak the replacement engine or must it be stock?
Old 09-07-2009, 04:13 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat,Sep 7 2009, 11:15 AM
ACH! Unlucky.. anything but mechanical failure

An off would be more welcome than mechanical (without injury or huge expense of course )

Next time chaps.

Also next time I might not not be such a clutz and actually get in to see you

Long story but I arrived at the ticket gate at 12ish only to find my wallet bare and they wouldnt take a debit card Drove almost all the way to Louth to find cash then my Satnav screwed me over and I ended up almost in Grimsby (DAMN ITS EYES!) It then subsequently shafted me a second time and sent me vaguely back towards Cadwell but had decided to send me home

By the time I realised I was past Cadwell and en route home, was fuming at the satnav (or likley my incompetence ) and had missed your race anyhow so just went home.

What a waste of a day and petrol

So you werent the only ones to have bad luck yesterday
Bad luck there.

Was SatNav a TomTom by any chance? Mine went mental like that in the end.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Sep 7 2009, 01:13 PM
Bad luck there.

Was SatNav a TomTom by any chance? Mine went mental like that in the end.
No; It's an older Garmin 370T or something if I remember.

It's generally OK and has bailed me out of a lot of situations in Europe; Chances are it was me cocking up Just one of those days.

Really wanted to see the chaps in thier inaugural race as well as it's something I'd like to do at some point so as well as being there for encouragement etc it was partly for me to get close to what happens when you 'have a go yourself'.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 PM

This isn't going to help but if you had my mobile I would have been able to get you a spare ticket Thanks for trying to get there though, appreciated. Sat-nav and Cadwell Park is a b*stard, my other half got totally lost and ending up asking. Why are there so few signs to the place, grrr. Your always more than welcome next time we are about somewhere nearby.

Engine challenge looks nearly complete. Sourced an engine, in fact been offered 5 in less than 24 hours. Looks like we will probably go with a relative low mileage late engine complete with sport gearbox, lower ratios so more speed Every cloud and all that.

We also found out shortly if we have been admitted to our next race, which would be at a track we know which will help.

According to the results there were 28 runners in the Sevens, I remember them turning reserves away whilst I was signing on. Timing results here http://www.tsl-timing.com/cscc/2009/93664.pdf

The guys at CSCC were great really helpful and actually quite approachable. From the outside it all seems so daunting and having never done it all before there is SO much to remember and do. The other competitors were good too, only a few take it really seriously. Helping your competitors bump start their cars in the pits was a surprise but the camaraderie was good.

Also watching the swinging sixties was top there are some lovely cars out there and it seems to be quite a draw with the crowds. There were far more spectators than I expected which was a pleasant welcome, maybe there is nothing else to do up there.

I bloody loved and cannot wait to back to it.
We also need a new jockey wheel and to fix the winch on the trailer. Never stops does it!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Well that was an interesting weekend

Camping was bloody freezing on friday night - Cadwell is a bit open. I haven't camped in this country for 14 years. We put the tent up in about 20 mins in the dark

Saturday went particularly quick, especially the morning. There's sign on, scrutineering, 2 driver briefings. Making sure you are in the right place at the right time.

Then there's the 20 or so mins before the race, waiting with the other drivers in an enclosed paddock. We were greeted immediately by several other drivers, all giving good advice but not being patronising.-all have been in the same boat and this calmed the nerves There's real tension in the air, some drivers sitting in their car, helmet on, belts done up. Clearly each person has their own pre race routine.

The 20 mins or so qualifying was the nervous I have been in a car for a very long time. Don't crash/don't crash/don't crash/what's the right line for that corner/what gear. I had no idea of times and felt like i was going extremely slow.

I handed over the keys to Lee-I reckoned we were doing 2:10's but to be honest there's too much going on in the pit lane. Driver changes/people with lap boards/people talking about their co-drivers poor/fast last lap. A bit overawwing.

I was pleasantly surprised when we came back with a time that meant we weren't on the back row.

I was actually a lot less nervous for the race than i thought, although I completely forgot what was the signal for the start - was it red light out go or red then green? It turned out to be red light out so I didn't get a great start, although I held my place through the first turn (Coppice), 3rd from the back.

I was passed by the Rover who had started from the back for some reason (turns out he was one of the fastest on the day) through the long right of Park Corner. I forgot to defend and took the racing line & he passed me on the right.

The rest of the short race was a bit of a blur - from what I remember my lines went to pot, which I think was because i was a little preoccupied with the car later on. On lap 2 as I entered Coppice for the second time I tried to drop from 4th into 3rd and thought I had put it in neutral. This gave the Porsche time to catch up (I'd started to lose him through lap 1. Something on the car started to rattlle, maybe a loose nut? The same thing happened on lap 3 and then I heard a metal type clang and what sound like a bag of nails being dropped. I knew then that the car was sick. I spent the rest of the lap coasting. I was debating to exit the track at the Mountain but that would have meant Lee, being in the pits and stuck there, would not have known what had happened. I thought it best to drive very tenderly back to the pits by which time I could see smoke coming through the vents. You know the rest.

Disappointing not too finish but a lot of plusses from the day and I can't wait to get back out.

Looking at the race times I would imagine in a short space of time we could become a little more competitive.

Next race 26 September at Oulton Park with any luck.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Oh and thanks for Mark & Rich for turning up - sorry we couldn't last long.

Mark's pep talks were good

ODM-really sorry you didn't get in-what a bummer. My phone was dead on its arse so even if you had my number it would have been fruitless. atnavs seem to take you to a farmhouse on the peripheral of the circuit, much to the annoyanc of the owners I guesss.

Driving with a trailer is a PITA sometimes. Morons sitting in the middle lane being an utter nuisance
Old 09-07-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can blast past in the rough with the new tow car
Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 AM

Thanks chaps and sorry I missed it.

I know where Oulton is and I will NEVER forget to pack the wallet with folding ever again (he says.. totally unconvinced that it wont ever happen again )
Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 AM

I learnt a while back when visiting race circuits make sure you have plenty of paper monies otherwise you go hungry and thirsty.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:07 AM

Aye; tbh Lee I knew better. In fact I'd stopped for fuel and cash at a Shell Garage in Halifax and both the pumps and the cash machine weren't working. I then stopped for fuel on the M62 but completely forgot I needed cash as well Dumb.

Quick Reply: A bit of fun for the weekend