Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

A bit of fun for the weekend

Old 08-12-2008, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need help stripping the interior, I'll be a willing help. I want my own E36 M3 track car at some point so I'm keen to rip something apart.

I also agree with the weld in a bar for harnesses, get some race seats in and just enjoy it. If you think you're not that quick on track, you're better off just getting the track experience and doing the racing thing properly next year.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks chaps.

Mike -sorry mate, we just went ahead and did it. Never thought about 3rd parties

Mark - correct! Very nice, honest mechanic

Chilled - thanks for the offer We may try and strip it down this week, and any help would be appreciated.

The biggest problem we are both finding is putting in the available time.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 AM

I'm available on Sunday. Just PM me if you're going to do it then.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by chilled,Aug 12 2008, 11:24 AM

I also agree with the weld in a bar for harnesses, get some race seats in and just enjoy it. If you think you're not that quick on track, you're better off just getting the track experience and doing the racing thing properly next year.
No thinking involved. We just are.

Very different driving styles. Lee is a tad more agressive than me. I'm more of a steady eddie.

I'm not the type to throw money at something I don't understand and so all the red flags were raised in my mind about race-prepping it from the start.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Aug 12 2008, 01:27 PM
Mark - correct! Very nice, honest mechanic
Indeed he is.

He looked after my 993 for me after Lee sang his praises. He conveniently lives just down the road from me too so collected and dropped the car off, rather than me having to schlep to and from Mobberley, and then latterly Knutsford, to his workshop.

Top bloke - glad to see you're keeping him busy and that he's doing a good job for you.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:15 AM

Good work! This was the route I had planned to go down originally, but we have just moved to a place without a garage so I'm looking for something a bit more everyday.

Probably a wise choice swerving the E36 328 - they have an alloy block which isn't as strong as the 325's iron one and might well have proved more trouble in the long run.

Lee, I can't believe you've read the blue book, I don't know anyone who's done that!

If you're ever stuck, Nigel has my numbers, I'm happy to help with advice regarding racing or whatever really.

Keep us informed of your progress
Old 08-12-2008, 05:18 AM

Oh, and your 325 have more cylinders than an E30 M3!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Aug 12 2008, 01:15 PM
If you're ever stuck, Nigel has my numbers, I'm happy to help with advice regarding racing or whatever really.
We would both be keen to get advice from other people on all aspects of the process and I for one don't have a problem with people taking the car out for laps on the track.

Hopefully we'll have a track day booked before the end of the month.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:36 AM

If I'm free I'm happy to come along on track days and pax and advise. I'm not a pro or anything, but I can pedal a bit.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 PM
ge2

Sounds like a great project.

Potentially quite expensive if you're going to build it into a race car from scratch but there's a lot of benefits you don't get from buying a ready made one

There was some BMW racing at Snetterton this weekend, the Kuhmo tyres series. There were quite a few heavily modified E30s including 7 lovely lovely M3s

There was a round of the smaller budget Production BMW Cup at Brands when we were there earlier this year, the grid was mahoosive and the racing very close. I'm tempted to give it a go myself at some stage. I think it might be only 318s and 320s though so you'd have to downgrade the engine if you went that way.

Just getting out and using it is a good plan though, good luck and enjoy it.

Quick Reply: A bit of fun for the weekend