Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Bilbao to Portsmouth (or Santander leg) - Anyone done it?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done this trip many times. If you are going to do it then make sure you are booked on the Pont Aven and NOT the Cap Finisterre. The latter does not have a proper galley so all the food in the restaurant is microwaved. The Pont Aven has a very nice restaurant with sensibly priced menus and wine.

There is plenty to do on board if you are so minded but I much prefer to sit down with a nice bottle of wine and a good book until its time for dinner.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the spanish armada.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Welshman
I've done this trip many times. If you are going to do it then make sure you are booked on the Pont Aven and NOT the Cap Finisterre. The latter does not have a proper galley so all the food in the restaurant is microwaved. The Pont Aven has a very nice restaurant with sensibly priced menus and wine.

There is plenty to do on board if you are so minded but I much prefer to sit down with a nice bottle of wine and a good book until its time for dinner.

Handy advice, thanks.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by phil121081
Pamplona well worth a stop, as is Carcasonne if you are coming from France. The route on Petrolhead Nirvana is great, so real treats in there, personally, I would skip Lerida (Lleida) if doing again.
Thanks. Carcasonne is only about an hour away from where we'll be setting off from so maybe a nice place to stop for breakfast.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Welshman

Well, due to routes and timings it looks like we're stuck with the Cap Finisterre. Hey ho, looks like we'll take a picnic.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:03 AM

I was on the Cap Finisterre, have not been on the other I can't compare and we did not use the restaurant anyway. My advice regarding food, just be mindful that choice is limited, if you are happy to eat in the restaurant you need to book a take early (always a big queue), otherwise consider taking a nice picnic (that is what I would do) as other options are a bit limited.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by GaryB
Originally Posted by Welshman' timestamp='1322503132' post='21190998

Well, due to routes and timings it looks like we're stuck with the Cap Finisterre. Hey ho, looks like we'll take a picnic.
Cabins on the Cap Finisterre are perfectly OK but food is poor so yes take a picnic but don't waste your money on the so called restaurant. Of course the wine in their on board shop is perfectly nice and sensibly priced so feel free to indulge in that - indeed have a glass or four on me!