Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Bilbao to Portsmouth (or Santander leg) - Anyone done it?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilbao to Portsmouth (or Santander leg) - Anyone done it?

Looking at options for next years south of France road trip and considering coming back via Bilbao to Portsmouth to maximise the amount of time we have away (saves a 24 hour drive from south of France/Spain) back to the uk.

Has anyone done that crossing? If so, what's it like?

I know it'll be 24 hours on the ferry but we're looking at a nice cabin so wondered if there's stuff to keep us occupied during the daylight hours.

Ta.

Gary
Old 11-27-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not cheap mate, around £300.00 for a couple with cabin for the evening. I looked at it last year and decided to drive all through Europe visiting as many countries as I could, It's much more fun driving through the Swiss/Italian Alps on your way down to Monaco. It was the best driving experience of my life, 2600 miles in 6 days, amazing!

If you want advice on routes etc then I'm happy to help.

edit-just noticed your condidering sailing back, so forget my comments.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 AM

Yep. We drive down every year to the south of france (Kids go to Grandparents for 10 days) but this time (next year), we were considering the ferry back.

We usually stay down as long as we can and mile munch the trip back but because it's returning home, it's a bit of a trudge.

It's not a driving holiday as such other than the drive there really as we always stay in the same part of the South of France for a full week.

The cost isn't really an issue. We've priced it up and looked at sailing days etc, just wanted some real world experiences of the crossing.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 AM

I did the opposite journey in the summer (Portsmouth the Bilbao) to get our Euro trip underway;

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/892206-euro-trip-2011

We paid £525 for a basic internal cabin so was not cheap at all, but was a great way to cover the distance. I was worried we would be bored to tears on a ferry akin to the dreadful cross channel ferries.

I was very pleasantly surprised however as the Brittany Ferry was actually pretty impressive. Not a great deal to do, other than sit in the their bar to pass the time (I had a GP to watch so that was great). Things to note from my experience.

No middle ground for food, is either a really naff burger bar, small shop with sandwiches or 'posh' (aka expensive) restaurant. We just wanted some casual hot food, but that wasn't really on offer, so I would prob take my own next time.

You can't go back to your car once out (well you can, but is a bit of a fuss as the garage is locked). Handbrake ON and take what you need to your cabin.

Highly recommended for me and we will certainly use again, this time to tour north west Spain a little more.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 AM

That's great, thanks.

We usually enjoy the drive down so will be doing the tunnel again and staying at the same place we usually stop at on the way there. The drive there is great but as we usually try and stay as long as possible, this year, the drive back felt more of a trudge and we didn't really enjoy it.

If we go for the Bilbao option back to Southampton, it's 6 hours from where we stay in France so we can check out of our Hotel in the morning and easily make the crossing time. Then 24 hours of relaxing on the ferry before the 4 hours to get back to the Grandparents from Southampton to get the boys and the civic and then 3 hours home from there.

It all seems to make sense on the face of it but I was concerned about it being 24 hours of hell. I hate the cross channel ferries, they just seem so crappy. (Being a bit of a snob doesn't help ).
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 AM

i had similar fears... but the ferry is nothing like the cross channel buses....

Beer was surprisingly cheap at around £3 a pint too, which considering the captive audience was very generous, I'd have paid £5!

All staff are French though, which seems odd on a crossing from UK to Spain?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 AM

Very interesting
I was contemplating this route for a Pyrennes run in September. But the ~£500 fare is not good value IMHO
I could get the ferry, a hotel and 750 miles in the Aston
Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 AM

Keeps the Aston Box fresh and shiny for when you get there...

Although if I was doing our France trip in your motor I'd be sleeping in it too. The missus would be having to prise my hands of the wheel at the end of each day.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by GaryB
Keeps the Aston Box fresh and shiny for when you get there...

Although if I was doing our France trip in your motor I'd be sleeping in it too. The missus would be having to prise my hands of the wheel at the end of each day.

Sod keeping it clean S2k nut polished it up and it's now plastered in paint film and Zaino so I can get it VERY dirty
I liked the idea of sailing over to the Pyrennes and straight in to hoon mod but I guess I could find some interesting roads down the NW coast of France
Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 AM

Pamplona well worth a stop, as is Carcasonne if you are coming from France. The route on Petrolhead Nirvana is great, so real treats in there, personally, I would skip Lerida (Lleida) if doing again.

Quick Reply: Bilbao to Portsmouth (or Santander leg) - Anyone done it?