Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Best way to buy Trackday alloys?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to buy Trackday alloys?

Want to buy a different set of wheels for my car but don't understand all this offset guff. Also anyone know a sensible place to buy a used set of 18s that will fit my motor?

Sorry for the basic questions but I'm a bit of a virgin when it comes to alloys!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok, for trackday alloys, forget all this 18" dick-extension crap. The car will drive better on its originals.

It's width, stagger (relative front:rear widths) as well as offset that's critical. The diameter's purely dick-waving and smaller usually has less inertia/momentum and unsprung mass.

Your safest bet for some dedicated track tyres is a second hand set of OEM wheels. Or Volks or Mugens, if you can afford them!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try rarerims. I'm not sure on FD2 alloy sizes/offsets, but their alloys are reasonably cheap compared to Mugen/Volk style wheels. Usually
Old 12-21-2007, 05:11 AM

No dick waving Nick my car comes with 18" wheels from the factory .

Volks or Mugens are out for being far too expensive unless I'm lucky and find someone who was mental enough to buy 18" Volks for a DC5.

Alas OEM wheels are very rare at the moment on account of the very small numbers of cars in the country so it's aftermarket, am thinking about Rotas because they are relatively cheap but wanted to see if there was a second hand option.

The width I know is 7.5" don't know about Stagger but what does offset mean? and what about the distance from the centre of the wheel to the inside of the rim? or is that offset?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:12 AM

Thanks Mark
Old 12-21-2007, 05:13 AM

Danny, you won't have a stagger (ie rear wheels bigger than fronts), but the offset is to do with where the hub sits in relation to wheel depth.

So you're looking for 18*7.5, and once you know the offset you're all set.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:17 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Boab01,Dec 21 2007, 02:11 PM
No dick waving Nick my car comes with 18" wheels from the factory .

Volks or Mugens are out for being far too expensive unless I'm lucky and find someone who was mental enough to buy 18" Volks for a DC5.

Alas OEM wheels are very rare at the moment on account of the very small numbers of cars in the country so it's aftermarket, am thinking about Rotas because they are relatively cheap but wanted to see if there was a second hand option.

The width I know is 7.5" don't know about Stagger but what does offset mean? and what about the distance from the centre of the wheel to the inside of the rim? or is that offset?
Oh, THAT car! Sorry, short-term memory problems at this time of year!

Yes, Julian at Rarerims is recommended (Not by Womans Genewals with speech impediments).

FD's about a +55 offset, no? Although for tracks a reduced offset is less likely to be a problem. What it mans is that if the mounting surface of the wheelhub were centreline of the wheel, it would have zero offset. Because you need to squeeze big brakes in there the spokes & surface are pushed outwards by 55mm, which is why you never see deep-dish mag wheels on a Honda

I told you what stagger means above, but it means nothing if your front & rears are identical width. Which they are, so don't worry. There is a 1 inch difference on the S2000s and 2 inches on NSXs, which must be kept to retain the handling balance.

Hope that makes some sort of sense!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:19 AM

If you do call Julian, can I ask that you tel him I sent you? I might be trying to tap him up for sponsorship for the Time Attack series.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:28 AM

The OEMs are offset 60 but I'm told 45 is about as close as you dare get. 55ish sounds sensible. Thanks guys, I now understand all about wheels!

I shall give Julian a call after xmas and see if I can't get myself some Rotas, his website is a bit annoying as I can't search by size, only by style. Yes Mark I will tell him you sent me, what's the plan with Timeattack then? Did you talk yourself into it?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:55 AM
ge2

What's the latest Mark?

Presumably it'll be PJL's car?

Quick Reply: Best way to buy Trackday alloys?