Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Best track/race car out of...

Old 08-24-2011, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best track/race car out of...

... Accord Type R or mid 90s Prelude 2.2 VTEC (BB4 chassis, H22A engine). Out of the two, which would be the better option for track use/racing? Opinions please
Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Neither.

It's gotta be an EK or a DC.

Not that either are bad cars; far from it. They don't make 'em like that any more. Both are quick on the track, even in stock form.

It's just you're buying a lot of pointless size & mass for refinement, which is pointless on a track car.

Plus, the H22's a bit of a long-stroker so revving the nuts off it's not such a good idea.

An B series has a lot of tuning potential relatively cheaply & the cars are great fun to drive like you stole them.

The Prelude 4WS is a far faster, more refined road car than the EK/DC, but that's an entirely different question.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 AM

I'd even go so far as to say to save even more money and go for the B16a2 powered EG Civic.

Having said that, as Nick says - the DC2 Integra is a superb choice now, and it's amazing how little money they can be had for. Essentially the same chassis as the EG civic, but with a coupe body and the fabulous B18c2 (?) Type R engine - not to be confused with the B18 that went into the MB6 Civic VTi (still a DOHC VTEC but not had finished).

Depends on a couple of things:
What's your budget
What do you plan do do with it in terms of modifications for use

The ITR would be the best one out of the box.
An EG civic with a B20 (DOHC VTEC head on a CR-V bottom end) or even k-swap, then properly set up chassis, would monster all sorts of glamorous machinery - there's a best motoring vid of an tuners S2000 struggling to keep up with another tuners EG civic around a circuit.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 AM

Get an EG Civic.

Shorter wheelbase and the same suspension setup. It also has less glass, weighs less and can have more weight removed from it. Simply drop in your engine of choice be it B18C-R or, if you have £4k, drop in a K20a which is lighter than a B18 and has a 6 speed box meaning more time in the powerband

However, as per your original question, the prelude is the better car.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by keith2.2
Depends on a couple of things:
What's your budget
What do you plan do do with it in terms of modifications for use
I should have said from the start, this is all purely hypothetical, the chances are nothing is going to come from this. I was just kinda inspired by the Honda VTEC Challenge and wondered what car I would enter if I could. Basically, completely stripped, strengthened chassis etc, possibly ITB's for easier breathing, all completely N/A, something along those lines.

Originally Posted by keith2.2
An EG civic with a B20 (DOHC VTEC head on a CR-V bottom end) or even k-swap, then properly set up chassis, would monster all sorts of glamorous machinery - there's a best motoring vid of an tuners S2000 struggling to keep up with another tuners EG civic around a circuit.
Ironically, that was going to be another question, would an S2000 be any good in a race series like the VTEC Challenge?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 AM
ge2

Unless you've got a burning desire to be different, I'd look at using something that's already a popular track/race car.

You can theorise and talk numbers all day long but you can't beat years of collective experience, most of your development work already done for you and foresight of what your problems will be and how to solve them.

Maybe a bit boring but it helps if you want to get stuck in to the fun stuff.

The S2000 probably isn't the best choice due to weight and a not very tuneable engine but it will depend on the series regulations and how deep your pockets are.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Graham talks sense.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 AM

Get this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3161025.htm

You'd only need to add an extinguisher system and remote battery cut-off.

Bargain.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is reasonably well priced. When I read the description I expect 15k or so. Not that it would be worth it but most people tend to overprice stuff like that. Which also speaks good volumes potentially about the seller.