Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Any experience of.....

Old 11-18-2006, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any experience of.....

Not entirely the right forum, but I know alot of people on here have graduated from Civic Type-R's so there is a bit of experience. Can you fill me in on a few bits and bobs?

I've been looking for a second car (one really for the missus) but also for us for long journeys and when we need to be practical! Really been focussing my attention on Focus range - but ultimately, even going for the Titanium or Ghia - it's ultimately just a Focus. Anyway - today the missus saw a Civic Type-R and loved it. FINALLY, she gets some taste; and also finally I might end up beating around in something with a bit of streetcred when not in the 'S'!!!!!!

Anyway - long way of saying - what are peoples experiences? Presumably, being Hondas they're pretty bombproof providing they're looked after? Not too expensive to service? Quietish on motorway journeys? Good day-to-day car?

Cheers all!
Old 11-18-2006, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mate had one and it's was great!

neither of us could fault it at all!

make sure she doesn't leave you init mind when it's wet outside

Rick
Old 11-18-2006, 06:36 AM

Great cars and just as reliable as other Hondas - should get some good deals in forecourts now they have stopped EP3's ands awaiting the new model.
Premier is the better one to go for, 55 reg with the air con, tints etc.

Also should be able to find some well looked after specimens

HERE
and
HERE

and whilst you are at it, don't rule out the Integra Type R, DC 5

INTEGRA TYPE R
Old 11-18-2006, 06:57 AM

My wife has had her Type R for the last 2 and a bit years and I have been driving it fairly regularly since I sold my S in September. We both think it is a wonderful car. It looks good, it certainly shifts and has acres of space inside. Nothing has gone wrong (as is only to be expected) and I would certainly recommend it.

We have used ours on the motorway and the ride is good if a little too firm over the pot holed roads we pay our taxes for. Servicing costs are in the order of the S2000 and we can get 30 to the gallon on average. The front wheels can slip if the road is wet and the accelerator is put down hard but all in all a very good car.

We are trading ours in though for our SLK 350 (and getting noweher near enough) as she now has a lease car. She couldn't get a Type R but has gone for the sport which has many of the attributes of the Type R , just not the speed.

You won't go wrong in getting one-at least one of the old style - the new ones are ugly)
Old 11-19-2006, 07:11 AM

Cheers guys - I figured, being from the same stock as the 'S' and the DC5 and all other great Hondas it was unlikely to be poor. I have to say, I am now really looking forward to going on the hunt - I think a 2lt Focus would've bored me to tears!

One question though - how do people get on with the gearstick on the dash? The missus is really worried about that......!!
Old 11-19-2006, 07:19 AM

You should worry - the metal knob is freezing in winter.
The position of the gear lever and changing gears is very comfortable though.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spuffington,Nov 19 2006, 04:11 PM
One question though - how do people get on with the gearstick on the dash? The missus is really worried about that......!!
Surprisingly we have had no problems at all. I was worried before we bought but after less than a day it felt quite natural and we have no problems moving from a conventional to dash mounted gearstick on a regular basis
Old 11-19-2006, 07:44 AM

My better half is on ther second CTR (see my sig), and she loves it.

It is a totally different drive to the S, so direct comparisons are irrelevant, but outright performance is not much different. Front end traction from standing start is poor in the wet, and I find the ride terrible on the crap roads round here.

But get it on a smooth road and it's a real blast, and easier to drive fast than the S (FWD), though not as rewarding. Really practical, seats 4 comfortably, with a dog in the boot and two mountain bikes on the roof. Motorway driving is also not a problem.

Gearstick in dash is fantastic, but Traction Control is not an option.

HTH - Dave
Old 11-19-2006, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll be tripping down to my local stealer soon and get us a test-drive.

One little point - the missus hasn't driven for 5yrs or so, so she's a bit apprehensive. I'm not overly worried about her in the CTR given I imagine it's a bit of a pussycat when you're not ing? Is this true? As far as I'm concerned, it will probably be me blatting around in it and her in the sub-5000rpm area
Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

don't buy one without a/c

MUCH more difficut to sell on

Quick Reply: Any experience of.....