Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1

Old 08-04-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

10+ hours @ 50 to 80 quid an hour + parts + VAT?

I think I'd be wanting to have a go and if you don't see yourself as that type of chap or you haven't got a 'mate that will', you may well have bought the wrong car. My mate has a silver S1 with the 1.6L engine in it, it's off the road for 6 months of the year whilst she fettles out the issues the 6 months of use have given it.

These are awesome fun but they are not the sort of thing you can leap into every day and expect them to be turnkey reliable like the Honda. 120% fun vs 50% reliability isn't a number I'd be happy with based on the facilities / tools at my disposal.

Fair play to the Fishy one for rolling his sleeves up - i think that's part of the 'fun' of ownership.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With uf on that. The worst thing about getting someone else to do this job (aside from cost) is that having done it, I know that it is a long job, so things not cared for will get damaged. I also know that there are lots of fixings that can get dropped into place pretty ugly areas. I expect people do drop them and I expect they would just leave them. I don't like that. What if that bolt you dropped under a rad you fitted end up in the fan assembly and jammed that. Also, I wanted everything greased and replaced, not churned and cross threaded.

This is not a job I would have had a firm do go me. These cars are just meccano. You have to be methodical and have access to an average tool set and some decent trolley jacks. There's no ultra complexity, just annoyances and the odd dexterity struggle.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps Ill get there, I do enjoy learning things like this, but first job taking the clam off, finding lots of potential rusted up bolts etc is more than Im comfortable with right now.

Id say its in safe hands at Essex autosport. One of quite a few tasty Lotus parked up there:

Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-xsepcyo.jpg

The said put a triple pass on the car and its what they put on all cars that need a rad, so perhaps I go with that one.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
10+ hours @ 50 to 80 quid an hour + parts + VAT?
They've quoted £360 plus VAT for the labour. Not too bad. I'd just end up with the car in bits cursing, and lose a weekend and then probably more, which doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:42 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

If you can get a fixed price quote - i think that's the way forward. Last thing you want ( once it's in bits at someone elses place ) is an ever growing invoice for stuff you weren't prepared for.

The advantage of doing it Cheshs way is that you get to replace / upgrade / derust / clean up every single thing to your own satisfaction as you remove and refit.

If you must have them do it, I would be inclined to save up the money, get all the parts including any upgrades or SS bolt kits etc etc and take it in as one job so that you aren't paying labour two or three times.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
Perhaps Ill get there, I do enjoy learning things like this, but first job taking the clam off, finding lots of potential rusted up bolts etc is more than Im comfortable with right now.

Id say its in safe hands at Essex autosport. One of quite a few tasty Lotus parked up there:

The said put a triple pass on the car and its what they put on all cars that need a rad, so perhaps I go with that one.
Wonder what's under the bonnet on that exige. Decals look fab.

Triple pass you see :-)

Go proalloy.

430 quid labour for that job is cheap. Tell them not to loose panel shims down the cracks that's the fiddliest part of the sodding job. Oh and separating the aircon condenser out. All very doable though.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 AM

It looks like a cup car from the filler cap
Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
It looks like a cup car from the filler cap
Yep, it was 'full racecar'

There was an S1 Exige alongside it and three other Elise variants opposite, so they know these cars well

I wish they weren't moving to Chelmsford, I was able to get the bus door to door today after dropping off the car!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

love it!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 AM

So I got the car back with the boot done.

They noticed one on the other side is letting some grease out and didnt get time to do that. So I'll get that done with the rad in a week or so.

They secured a few hoses that were rubbing on bits and bobs, but didnt have the time for a full front to back check.

Worryingly the gearbox only had 1litre of oil in it. So they changed that of course. Hopefully its fine, but on my list was a DC5 gearbox in the future anyway, as that has shorter 4th,5th and 6ths and the LSD.

I also sourced a used speed sensor from integrastella to see if that stops the rev readout/limp issue due to the broken clips on the one on the car.

Stop start traffic home, but the car was fine. Off out for a razz in it later tonight, fingers crossed.

If found one new thing out, you have to drive it with the passenger window open all the time! So the noise from the induction kit is blasted into the cabin

Quick Reply: Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1