Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Animal noises

Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Animal noises

The wastegate on my Elan I know was small beer but used to sound like a little whinnying pony. Loved it.

What does yours sound like or your favourite sound like? Got to put it into words. I've heard of rattlesnake and chipmunk being bandied about.

Not technical but love those sneezing Scoobies.

Willing to be enlightened on aural intricacies.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
pip

The one on the Fiat Punto I heard the other day was wicked bruv.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by pip,Apr 14 2010, 11:50 PM
Think I am getting the meaning of irony at long last. Thanks pip.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in 1991 my Rover 214 used to mooo. Most often at night when parked outside the Parents bedroom window...
Old 04-15-2010, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by pip,Apr 14 2010, 11:50 PM
Sorry pip, I'm a bit touchy as I know that I often 'don't get it', thought you were having a jibe at me when in fact you were making a valid point.

In the same way that non-virgins can buy an artificial hymen that spews blood when penetrated, an owner of an entry-level Punto can buy a kit for his car that makes it merely sound as though it is getting boost.

I have a genuine interest in this subject. I'm sure I am not the only one on here to prick my ears when a car makes a noise that sets it apart from the crowd. Was hoping that people would enlighten me and maybe post a few vids.

This thread was in part inspired by unclefester's engine video in Muppets. I was not muppeteering but would be quite happy if the mods see fit to move this.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mistress Quickly,Apr 15 2010, 08:39 AM

In the same way that non-virgins can buy an artificial hymen that spews blood when penetrated,
where from?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:58 AM

Well I love dump/blow off valves!!! Chav at heart!!!

Had an HKS SSQ blow off valve on my Scooby, sounded like a echoing sneeze.

The S2000 I'll be picking up in 2 weeks is a muted version of the above.

Nick.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 AM
pip

Originally Posted by Mistress Quickly,Apr 15 2010, 08:39 AM
Sorry pip, I'm a bit touchy as I know that I often 'don't get it', thought you were having a jibe at me when in fact you were making a valid point.

In the same way that non-virgins can buy an artificial hymen that spews blood when penetrated, an owner of an entry-level Punto can buy a kit for his car that makes it merely sound as though it is getting boost.

I have a genuine interest in this subject. I'm sure I am not the only one on here to prick my ears when a car makes a noise that sets it apart from the crowd. Was hoping that people would enlighten me and maybe post a few vids.

This thread was in part inspired by unclefester's engine video in Muppets. I was not muppeteering but would be quite happy if the mods see fit to move this.
No apology required. My post was inane

However, I have seriously seen, rather heard people with fake BOVs or whatever they are.

All turbocharged cars require a wastegate as far as I know but I'm not sure about why some make sure a racket. I think it's only required on very high pressured FI engines. MB will be able to explain.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by pip,Apr 15 2010, 09:59 AM
No apology required. My post was inane

However, I have seriously seen, rather heard people with fake BOVs or whatever they are.

All turbocharged cars require a wastegate as far as I know but I'm not sure about why some make sure a racket. I think it's only required on very high pressured FI engines. MB will be able to explain.
All turbos have a wastegate, however, it's not these that make the noise, it's the dump/blow off valve.

Dump valves/blow off vlaves are fitted to all turbo cars, they are usually recirculating though, i.e. they vent the waste gases back into the induction system. People change them for VTA (vent to atmosphere) valves, these are the ones that make the noise.

VTAs are not strictly needed as non-VTAs do the same job, infact some cars, like the Evo, don't really like VTA dumpvalves and getting them running right with a VTA is sometimes very difficult. This is because the MAF (mass airflow sensor) accounts for the air in the induction system, the VTA then gets rid of the excess air that the MAF has already metered, thus throwing the fuelling out.

HTHs

Nick.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:25 AM

the sphincter muscle is a dump valve.

also used by assholes.

Quick Reply: Animal noises