Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

2.5 WRX

Old 08-13-2006, 01:49 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

WR1 was a ltd edition 320 bhp UK only model saloon.

Try a PPP, it is a fair bit different but not huge. I guess you're probably not into mods, but you can get a WRX to the pace of a stock STi with very little money and effort! Sports cat, filter and ECU remap. Only the sports cat *may* affect warranty but dealer has to be a bit fussy.

Of course you still miss out on all the extra STi extras including handling, interior, brakes, turbo, but depends what you want.

Spec D is well worth a look, as John mentions.

MB
Old 08-13-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to be into modifying, but having just bought a Caterham I'm happy for my daily car to be standard and not need "babying" or too much attention !

Will def. look at the Spec D, as I didn't realise that was the difference (no picnic table would be a good start!) but it's getting a bit pricey unfortunately - I was hoping the WRX would fit the bill cos its cheap, but even the normal STi is getting a bit pricey.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:04 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you looking for brand new?

If not there are bargains to be had! Scoobs depreciate pretty badly so buying new isnt something I would personally do as im poor

An 03 / 04 STi's can be had for 13-14k with low miles which is a bloody great saving!

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/private-sal...352.html?f=352
http://bbs.scoobynet.com/private-sal...-f17.html?f=17

MB
Old 08-13-2006, 02:10 PM

We swapped our S for a 2.5L Saloon WRX type UK. It has taken a little getting use to but pretty happy with it now after 2500 miles. We had the prodrive sport springs fitted before collecting it to sort out the overpowered steering and slightly choppy ride that is standard. Very happy wiht the suspension now, firm but not BMW daft, amazing grip and feel.

Currently standard power but we will get either ecutek or PP at some point. It is quicker than it feels compared to the S2. Country B road disspears at what feels in the S2 like 69 mph, you look at the dash and your travelling at 85mph.

No where as involving and fun as the S2 to drive, but that is the price for practicality etc. A very capable, fast, comfy vehicle. Type UK means specced up with leather, smartnav and heated seats and hands free, otherwise a WRX SL.

Hope that helps.

S
Old 08-13-2006, 10:53 PM

Ok so a WRX SL is the same as a UK Spec?

Mark - new isn't necessarily required, but it has to be 2 years old maximum really, and I prefer the 06 shape. Would consider importing (although the 3k's worth of free fuel sounds nice) or nearly-new.

Haven't made up my mind about this yet, but the S might have to go
Old 08-13-2006, 11:27 PM

Jo,

I had the new 2.5 UK STI for 3 days and really enjoyed it. I did a review on here about 3 months ago if you can find it.

I really enjoyed the car, and it was very quick. It is faster still than a PPP WRX (which has 260bhp) with its 280bhp.

My only real gripe were the stock tyres which were terrible in damp / wet / cold conditions. I wasn't a fan of the interior either.

At times I wish I had swapped as it is faster than the S (IMO), and is the only car that I have driven to give me a sore neck over a 60 mile blast down my local country roads

There are some bargains to be had, and I would be suprised if you couldn't get a brand new STI for <
Old 08-13-2006, 11:33 PM

That's quite a lot off list - they're about 28k list price
Old 08-13-2006, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are running cost that much better than an Evo?

I nearly bought an FQ300 when I bought the S. Yes two completely different cars but both much fun as a weekend driver. The Evo was amazing on the twisty's

I ended up with the S due to the styling and I didn
Old 08-13-2006, 11:43 PM

10000 mile service intervals as opposed to 4500 for the Evo, that would make a bit of difference to the costs.

I guess Jo knows about the fuel consumption if she's had one before. Suffice to say, I don't think they've improved it over the years!
Old 08-13-2006, 11:45 PM

Well I don't remermber as I had a fuel card back then... but according to the marketing gumph the fuel consumption isn't THAT different to the S for the scoob (a lot less for the Evo, and a lot higher emissions)

Quick Reply: 2.5 WRX