Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

2.5 WRX

Old 08-13-2006, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 WRX

Took the 2.5 WRX out for a quick testdrive today - I'm toying with getting rid of the S for one for various reasons.

I had a 2L WRX years ago, but only for a month, and it was the most powerful car I'd ever driven at that point. I loved it, and was hoping for something a bit tasty with the new WRX.

First impressions weren't too bad - it was the wagon (their only demo) which apparantly handles exactly like the saloon.

The interior is a lot better than it used to be - better quality, less tatty looking, smart 6-disc changer in teh dash (even if it still has a cassette deck too ). Clutch was nice (not too heavy or too light) although a little weird when changing gear - very easy to judder it for some reason. Brakes were fine, seats fairly comfortable (these were the cloth seats) although no lumbar support and I'm not sure how they'd be on a long journey. All the dials look fine - the usual a/c / climate control etc.

Steering was quite nice - really light in comparison to the S - you could drive it with your fingertips. It gripped as you'd imagine really, and I didn't notice any understeer (it was a short test drive). It handled a lot better than I had anticipated.

Apparantly the road noise in the back was extremely loud - not sure if it would be quieter in the saloon?

The new front lights look a lot better too, and the car looks great in black.

However....

I was expecting a lot of "grunt" - a bit of attitude and for it to be a bit of a handful. Actually it wasn't - it didn't have that "shove in the small of the back" that I was expecting. The turbo lag was hardly noticeable (larger engine, torquier low down so less noticeable?), and although you ended up going fast, it didn't really feel like you were and the acceleration wasn't much fun. It sounded a bit weedy too.

It was a 5 speed box (you get a 6 speed with the STi) and had only done 600 miles.

Am booking a test in the STi as I was sorely disappointed with the fun-factor
Old 08-13-2006, 08:03 AM

afaik the sti is meant to be a lot better that the standard wrx - especially if fitted with the ppp pack which gives extra goodness iirc.

subaru are also doing some crazy petrol for a year deal just now with new cars aren't they?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by billy_i_vtec,Aug 13 2006, 04:03 PM
especially if fitted with the ppp pack
Piss Poor Performance pack? Don't get that!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:56 AM

Yep 3k's worth of free fuel with a WRX

Not sure if they're doing it with the STi, but tis worth having !
Old 08-13-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jo,
have you considered an Evo?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:59 AM

Yep, haven't looked at pricing yet

Went to a Mitsubishi dealer but they didn't have any Evo's.. nor did the other dealer in the area....
Old 08-13-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Aug 13 2006, 04:59 PM
Yep, haven't looked at pricing yet

Went to a Mitsubishi dealer but they didn't have any Evo's.. nor did the other dealer in the area....
I think that car may have what you are looking for.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:04 AM

Just checked the theoretical mpg for the bottom of the range Evo (comparable in price to the STi type UK) and its a bit of a nono!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Aug 13 2006, 05:04 PM
Just checked the theoretical mpg for the bottom of the range Evo (comparable in price to the STi type UK) and its a bit of a nono!
Oh, oh well.

Its worth a test though, just to say you've had a go in one! Spend the dealers petrol, why not ?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I think that's a pretty fair write up, Jo.

To be fair, there's no way the car's an S2000 replacement. It's a C-segment hatch rival. A Civic with Prelude performance, if you will.

Didn't notice the clutch problem, but I was anticipating the extra 'stiction' in the 4WD, so probably was more patient with it. The 'Lude also can judder similarly if rushed. Possible they use the same clutch plate, I dunno.

The effortless torque from any revs & good traction belies how quickly you're actually accelerating. It's very easy to go quite quickly. The boxer engine encourages good turn-in and the similar suspension front & rear keeps responses consistent. I felt the estate was a bit rear-rolly & the 1" wider track of the saloon should improve matters considerably.

I didn't particulary notice rear road noise as being too bad, but that may be surface-related.

Ont thing that did impress me was the ride quality - firmly damped but so much better than its pretentious German rivals.

The inside's far better, thanks to SAAB, & the leather makes it quite acceptable.

The platform's so ancient that visibility's good, the car is compact & relatively light.

Since you can get one for under 16K from the importers, it's a no-brainer.

Realistically, you've gotta ask how it compares with Chris' Mondeo, even if it does replace the S.

Quick Reply: 2.5 WRX