Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: What'd you buy?
Z06
71.60%
Boxster Coupe
28.40%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Z06 v Boxster coupe

Old 01-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Why should I care why other people bought the car I want to buy? Ironically, by displaying contempt for poseur Porsche buyers, you're revealing that your own decision is largely image-driven."

What kind of pyshco babble bullshit is this?
He states he buys the car because of the car not the image and you tell him he has an image problem....
Perhaps I can clear up your confusion. He thinks the car is grossly overpriced, the quality is lacking and that a lot of the folks who buy them do so strictly for the nameplate. He thinks that for 10k more the vette, which by the way will eat the porsche in just about any contest, is a much better buy.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What rai said.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a C5 Z06 with <20K miles for around 30K. Add a mid end cam and do a stage 2 porting job on the stock cylinder heads, longtube headers, and you are looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 430rwhp. all for less than 3 grand in mods.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:58 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OK I voted for the BC, love the under-dog. I don't want to flame either car. Just it's hard to see people putting down a car b/c it only makes 290hp or it's "overpriced" when in fact it'll put a serious scare into a 997 S

<<no it won't beat the 997 S but it't won't be too far behind for $30K less to boot>>

The BC (IMO) will have a better interior. I can say that sight unseen.

The BC (probably) will hold it's resale better than a Vette.

The BC (probably) is cheaper $10K cheaper never hurt anyone.

The BC (probably) is as much fun as a Z06 <take away acceleration>

The BC (probably) is more fun on an un-farmiliar road <Were you don't need or want to be going 100mph around a curve to "feel it">

BC (IMO) lookes better.

OK I could go on about why the Z06 is better than the BC

Z06 OWN3S the BC.

Z06 is faster all day long

Z06 has more creed. You're more likely to get props for a Z06 than a BC

Z06 will (probably) sound a lot better

Z06 is faster (did I say that already)

Z06 has has just 6.4 lbs/hp.

Z06 will get it done even if you can't drive for shit.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=rai,Jan 20 2005, 06:15 PM]Well, I'd like to get a coupe.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:20 PM

Yeah, the whole performance thing is a bit played out as both cars allow you to exceed the speed limit very easily. It would be fun to have 500HP on tap and boxster just does nothing for me. The S2000 has less performance then both cars and is a lot of fun on a race track. I just figure if I'm going to spend ~60k I would like to get more performance/dollar then the boxster offers. The other intangibles the boxster coupe offers just don't add up to a better value for me. I am no street racer, but I think it would be fun to have a 500HP car on the street and track. It is probably too much car for me, but it is pretty damn cool, not that the boxster isn't.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:23 PM

The only reason I'd consider the BC over the Z06 is if I'm wanting a convertible or have a need to run PCA events. Otherwise the rich feel of the BC's interior finish is going to feel like crap whenever a Z06 bullies me (straight line or twisties)...

I don't think you'd be crazy to pick the BoxS over the Z06, just that you've got different priorities or sense of style than I do.

Steve, the Z06's do outrun the BoxS's at local auto-x, though I'm not certain we have good representative BoxS drivers (Where's Sharp?) in my region.

And yeah, I do jump on a 10 second sport bike when I feel the need for serious speed The Z06 is for when I want to be lazy but still quick. Let's face it, living on a bike alone is for folks further out on the psycho scale than me.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:37 PM

This would be a difficult decision. Both cars have their pluses, and the Z06 is with out a doubt the most car for the money in the 50K+ range.

But..... I traded my 01 6spd M3 for my 04 S2k because of the fun factor. I like most of the people on this forum love to drive. At the legal limit, the M3 was boring. Yes it was incredibly fast off the line, would see 170 in 5th (never did that), was smooth and quiet. But for me it was no where near as fun as my S.

I might have the same problem with a Z06. In most areas of the country you would have the fastest car around, but then what? Would you look forward to driving your car after the initial excitement wore off?

I would like to be able to own both for a year then decide which I would keep.

BTW, has the price been fixed on the Z06, I read somewhere that it might push 75K (would still be a great deal).
Old 01-20-2005, 04:18 PM

If I was going to put that kind of money into a sports car, I'd go with the Porsche. After 2 years, a 2003 Boxster S in base trim, which MSRP's pretty much the same as a 2003 Z06, is worth almost $5,000 more right now. When it comes down to getting rid of the car when that something new you want comes out, it's just going to be another Chevy.

That and I just like the Boxster coupe better and ultimate performance limits aren't the only factor in my choice of cars.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Jan 20 2005, 04:23 PM
Steve, the Z06's do outrun the BoxS's at local auto-x, though I'm not certain we have good representative BoxS drivers (Where's Sharp?) in my region.
I should clarify what I was trying to say. The Z06 is definitely a faster autocross car than the Boxster S, and the C6 Z06 will almost definitely be a faster autocross car than the Boxster Coupe. I was referring specifically to slaloms in the literal sense of the term -- repeated left-right transitions. The Corvette suffers in these purely by dint of its size, and the Z06 will be wider than the normal Corvettes.

Steve

Quick Reply: Z06 v Boxster coupe