Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Your choice for affordable daily driver/track car?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, my Miata has several mods to make it better for the track.

- Tein Mono-flex coilovers
- RX-8 Sport swaybars
- I.L. Motorsports chassis braces
- Enkei 17x9's w/ 235/40-17 Star Specs
- Goodwin header/midpipe/catback, plus MS CAI
- ACT HD clutch & Fidanza LW flywheel

I never stated a stock Miata would be my choice, as very few people I know who track regularly run stock cars. Heck, I even couldn't believe it when the Miata placed third in one of the auto rags' "Best Driver's Car" comparison recently - I really don't think it's very good stock due to the horrid suspension tuning and too skinny wheels/tires. FWIW, I think the S2000 is a better track car stock, but the NC responds better to mods and works better prepped similar to what I've done - just my opinion, which is not colored by being comfortable w/ front engine configs - my Cayman S felt like an extension of my body, and 911's don't bother me either. Perhaps comparing a modded Miata vs. a stock Cayman S isn't fair, but that's the condition I had/have them in.

The current Ferrari Challenge North American champion drove my car around the track today, and he was very impressed. The only thing he critiqued it for is that it seemed reluctant to rotate on trail braking. Had the track been drier, I'd have softened the front, but I didn't want to make it any more tail-happy given the water on many corners (we had torrential rains on Friday night).

For those who still don't believe, here are a couple of on-track vids:
Vs. a 997 GT3 @ TWS: http://vimeo.com/7427609
Here's one where I screwed up and spun it, but overtook an S2000 CR from way back: http://vimeo.com/8304286

Old 01-17-2010, 06:58 PM

Also, I got to drive a 996 GT3 and a Ford GT @ the track today. The GT3 is my new dream track car, it seemed to do no wrong and was stunningly competent and fun to drive. After driving it, I was having all kinds of crazy thoughts go through my head since they're now relatively affordable, until another friend told me that a crate engine is $45K.

I didn't drive the Ford GT nearly as fast, b/c it's a lot more expensive/harder to replace, and has way more power on a traction limited day. I felt like a million bucks behind the wheel, it def. felt more exotic. Power out the wazoo, and it cornered very flat. The clutch felt a bit funky, though - sometimes it was hard to tell when it released, as it almost felt like I mis-shifted into neutral.

Needless to say, I'll have great memories from today for a long time!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just didn't have the whole story. I know what Miatas are capable of when tinkered with by someone who knows.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:40 PM

My answer is the next car on my list to buy: a 997S.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:14 PM

If you could find a good deal the new STi's seem like a great DD/fun car. Being a 5door it has mucho room. Maybe Mazdaspeed3 if the Sti is too expensive and the room is still required.

Otherwise I'm going s2000 as I dont have much to haul and my roommate owns a truck. lol
Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jan 17 2010, 07:51 PM
Vs. a 997 GT3 @ TWS: http://vimeo.com/7427609
Here's one where I screwed up and spun it, but overtook an S2000 CR from way back: http://vimeo.com/8304286
Lol mid corner downshift, no rev matching???(Maybe I just couldnt hear it over the wind noise?).... tsk tsk

....and unless I am mistaken, that was an HPDE event right? Aka not a race? Why presume that the s2000 was being driven as hard as you were attempting to drive? He pointed you by, you didnt overtake him because of the car, thats for sure.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 AM

Oh, and out of your 3 choices, id say BMW 1 series...

My own personal choice in said price range would be the new STI(1 year used of course)

**This is excluding the s2000, which is obviously my actual choice. I have no kids and we have a second car so not having any room isnt an issue personally
Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by 4evertopless,Jan 18 2010, 09:48 AM
Lol mid corner downshift, no rev matching???(Maybe I just couldnt hear it over the wind noise?).... tsk tsk

....and unless I am mistaken, that was an HPDE event right? Aka not a race? Why presume that the s2000 was being driven as hard as you were attempting to drive? He pointed you by, you didnt overtake him because of the car, thats for sure.

Yes, I botched something (it happened so fast, I'm not sure), no excuses. It was my first spin ever on the track, so I was overdue!

The CR owner is a friend of mine, and we play out there all the time. He's recently bought wider wheels, NT-01's, and just installed a KW S/C. He has a TraqMate (data acquisition). It's safe to say he wants to go faster. He has more power, I have more grip and more brakes.

The only S2000 that's ever given my a challenge had a KW S/C and NT-01's vs. my NA & Star Specs. Also, no S2000 has ever lapped this track as fast as UKExotics in his NC Miata, either.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jan 18 2010, 09:07 AM
Yes, I botched something (it happened so fast, I'm not sure), no excuses. It was my first spin ever on the track, so I was overdue!

The CR owner is a friend of mine, and we play out there all the time. He's recently bought wider wheels, NT-01's, and just installed a KW S/C. He has a TraqMate (data acquisition). It's safe to say he wants to go faster. He has more power, I have more grip and more brakes.

The only S2000 that's ever given my a challenge had a KW S/C and NT-01's vs. my NA & Star Specs. Also, no S2000 has ever lapped this track as fast as UKExotics in his NC Miata, either.
Chris:

is your miata faster then a properly setup spec miata?

I was impressed with my one ride in a competitive spec miata at TWS. The cornering speeds were fantastic.

My slightly modified evo IX on RA-1s is just slightly faster then the fastest spec miatas at my local track, PIR (portland international raceway) here in oregon.

My IX has no engine mods, it's a full weight SSL, with a sway bar, and the evo IX MR suspension (stock suspension just form another model).
Old 01-18-2010, 08:50 AM

[QUOTE=Chris S,Jan 17 2010, 07:51 PM]
Vs. a 997 GT3 @ TWS:

Quick Reply: Your choice for affordable daily driver/track car?