Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Your choice for affordable daily driver/track car?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Jan 19 2010, 09:04 AM
I'm as big a Porsche fan as anyone on this board, but I still wouldn't put the words "Porsche" and "affordable" in the same sentence.

The Boxster's a great, relatively inexpensive track car, but I don't see the point of paying more for one over a 350Z or an S2000 for track use. For street use, absolutely, but for track use when you run a significant risk of wadding up the car, no.
Because, to me at least, the Boxster S is a more rewarding and fun car to drive than an S2000 or a 350Z.

As far as oil changes go, unless you go to the dealer, you can slash that price in half with an indy shop that specializes in Porsche.

Mine charges me 130$ with filter and all. And it lasts a lot longer than the S2000 oil change interval.

I just feel that a 987S is more fun on the track and more comfortable as a daily driver than an S2000 or 350Z.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be clear, my comment wasn't about the expense of changing oil -- it was about the expense of losing the back end going around an 80 mph corner and totaling the car. I could walk away from totaling a $12k S2000 at the track without epic regrets, but I can't say the same about totaling a $30k+ 987S, thus for me, tracking the Boxster wouldn't be an option. Your financial position and/or tolerance for risk may vary, and thus your willingness to lap in a Boxster vs. a 350Z, but for me "more fun on the track" isn't worth $20k.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

if you aren't going to count the S2000, i'd rock a Mini Cooper S.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:56 AM

No clue why the S doesn't fit the bill. Been DDing my S hard for the past 2.5 years and it more than works for me. In fact my S was down for two months and I was driving my dad's 7 series (which is nice), but during that time I was literally having dreams about getting back in the S. No other car I've driven yet seems as fun to drive every day.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

I'm into this one in half.

I have a daily driver -- hell more than one.

I was looking at a used Lotus Exige for quite some time -- cut some costs from my track day budget putting shoes and brakes on the P-Car .. not to mention the S2k which while not as expensive does eat brake pads at an absurd rate.

Enter in ..... the 1999 Miata I purchased a week back.

Look, we all make fun of the Miata. Yeah -- it really is that gay. Yes it has nearly zero power and for the love of god that ****** car does not fit anyone over 6 feet tall.

All of this written, for 3 grand I can turn it into a ****** track monster that requires almost no upkeep. So the motor blows up? Pfff. Junkyard. Tires are small and cheap, brakes are a joke and stripped of the top and other bits it weighs nothing.

I'll send some pics when I finally have it in the garage. Ugly, red, gay and ****** more fun than the S2000 because the limits of adhesion are lower.

As to the mini mentioned ... seriously really? I've tracked with those ****-twats on numerous occasions. Nowhere else have I ever seen such a bunch of closed community slow ****-tards ruin a track with their overweight tard-mobiles. If you want to go FWD, go with the ITR ... or better yet an old Civic or CRX. Mini's are for fat chicks or douche bags.... sorry .... but years of experience at the track have proven this for me at least. Will you Mini driving wig wearing poseurs please ... please .. stop ****** up the track days?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 PM

S2000
E36 M3
E46 M3
Miata
Evo Ix
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steviec,Jan 20 2010, 09:08 PM
I'm into this one in half.

I have a daily driver -- hell more than one.

I was looking at a used Lotus Exige for quite some time -- cut some costs from my track day budget putting shoes and brakes on the P-Car .. not to mention the S2k which while not as expensive does eat brake pads at an absurd rate.

Enter in ..... the 1999 Miata I purchased a week back.

Look, we all make fun of the Miata. Yeah -- it really is that gay. Yes it has nearly zero power and for the love of god that ****** car does not fit anyone over 6 feet tall.

All of this written, for 3 grand I can turn it into a ****** track monster that requires almost no upkeep. So the motor blows up? Pfff. Junkyard. Tires are small and cheap, brakes are a joke and stripped of the top and other bits it weighs nothing.

I'll send some pics when I finally have it in the garage. Ugly, red, gay and ****** more fun than the S2000 because the limits of adhesion are lower.

As to the mini mentioned ... seriously really? I've tracked with those ****-twats on numerous occasions. Nowhere else have I ever seen such a bunch of closed community slow ****-tards ruin a track with their overweight tard-mobiles. If you want to go FWD, go with the ITR ... or better yet an old Civic or CRX. Mini's are for fat chicks or douche bags.... sorry .... but years of experience at the track have proven this for me at least. Will you Mini driving wig wearing poseurs please ... please .. stop ****** up the track days?
OMG the Mini comment was hilarious!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 PM

^ funny and true.

plus with the maint on them i wouldn't call it a cheap car to track.

i would say that if you are looking for something that is cheap to run, and fun as well, either a miata or gt mustang. ya the live axel isn't great, but with the right suspention setup its fine
Old 01-22-2010, 01:15 PM

Corvette.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Got to drive a friend's '00 S2000 w/ suspension, wheel/tire, and I/E mods at the track today. The previous S2000 I tracked was supercharged w/ bad suspension setup = not very impressive. I had a blast driving this one today, and fell in love all over again.

I also got a ride in a 997 GT3 RS on Hoosiers.

Quick Reply: Your choice for affordable daily driver/track car?