Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

You know how folks here like to call US cars junk

Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Jan 22 2006, 07:57 PM
I've seen it on ALL car forums though. (Even S2ki.) People feel the need to justify their purchase, or their taste by putting down or finding flaws in other cars.
One of the smartest statements on this forum yet. I completely agree.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05BerlinaFan,Jan 22 2006, 04:36 PM
They just did in the C6 Z06 and the new Viper coupe...
Both cars are insanely fast for the price range (or almost any price range for that matter). But alas there have been some let downs as of late, like the solstice. It's a beatiful car with no grunt (though I hear they are fixing that with the GXP) and the crossfire is another in this category, you have to spend 45K on a supercharged version to get what the 35K version should have been.
When I say defining performance, I mean takin' it to the track and kicking ass. Sure we have the Z06 and Viper to show other showroom cars up for less dough, but the US is not nearly as well represented on the track.

Chevy is dominating Le Mans for sure, and other similar GT-type races, but America needs an LMP to win Le Mans bad. I suppose F1 wouldn't hurt either, but rally racing is another example. The only reason I can see America not doing rally is because a lot of our cars aren't available in the countries where that is popular. That is changing somewhat, but we still have a lot of cars here that no one else gets, or at the very least sell poorly across either ocean.

Where the Solstice is concerned, I don't consider it a failure at all. It's barely out of the gate and no one is giving it a chance. In fact, there's already a local Phoenix Solstice club that is forming fast, and when they showed up to the local weekly show a couple weeks ago, everyone was looking at their "meagerly-powered" new rides. So the Solstice only has 177hp. That hasn't stopped GM from selling out their first year of production. The miata has very similar power ratings too. It may be lighter, but it is not dramatically different from the Solstice in most other ways. They even cost the same.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Jan 23 2006, 11:14 AM
When I say defining performance, I mean takin' it to the track and kicking ass. Sure we have the Z06 and Viper to show other showroom cars up for less dough, but the US is not nearly as well represented on the track.

Chevy is dominating Le Mans for sure, and other similar GT-type races, but America needs an LMP to win Le Mans bad. I suppose F1 wouldn't hurt either, but rally racing is another example. The only reason I can see America not doing rally is because a lot of our cars aren't available in the countries where that is popular. That is changing somewhat, but we still have a lot of cars here that no one else gets, or at the very least sell poorly across either ocean.

Where the Solstice is concerned, I don't consider it a failure at all. It's barely out of the gate and no one is giving it a chance. In fact, there's already a local Phoenix Solstice club that is forming fast, and when they showed up to the local weekly show a couple weeks ago, everyone was looking at their "meagerly-powered" new rides. So the Solstice only has 177hp. That hasn't stopped GM from selling out their first year of production. The miata has very similar power ratings too. It may be lighter, but it is not dramatically different from the Solstice in most other ways. They even cost the same.
I can understand that, but I like performance that I can get my hands on (meaning pick up in the showroom and track on the weekends). And, yes to the other posters I did forget a few cars such as the GT and GT500...my bad

I'm not saying the solstice is so much a failure as it is a let down. I love the car and the looks but I was hoping for higher performance (which like I said is hopefully going to be delivered in the GXP). I do however thing the crossfire was a pure and utter failure for the market it was going for...underpowered and overpriced. That's just my opinion though.