Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

WRX vs IS300 vs C230 Coupe

Old 01-21-2002, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX vs IS300 vs C230 Coupe

My friend is buying his next car. He would like to know what car people think is the best car. Don't need to worry abt his budget/preference, he just want to other people's view.

1) 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
2) 2002 Lexus IS300
3) 2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Coupe

My vote is 3.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2002, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely going for IS...
very nice looking car
Old 01-21-2002, 08:31 PM

Did anyone ever make a new gearset for the IS300???

Phi
Old 01-22-2002, 04:32 AM

The Merc is ugly. Its performance is mediocre and it gives you little for the money.

The IS is nice. Performance is okay with a 5-speed, but its definately not fast. At least where I live everybody has this car.

The WRX is fast but ugly. Its definately the most bang for the buck. This would be my choice!
Old 01-22-2002, 05:54 AM

I know someone who owns the Mercedes. . . Unless your friend wants the "name", don't get this car. For the money it doesn't offer much. If he wants a Mercedes go for the SLK.

I also know someone that has the Lexus (actually this is his 2nd IS300). Its quite well equipped for the money. However, it isn't BMW 3 series quick. A very nice car, that could be a little sportier. . .

As far as the WRX goes. I've never been in one, so I can only speak from what I've seen at the Autoshows and read in various car magazines. We all know about the performance. But personally, I'd never get one because I really don't like the exterior styling. . .

In my opinion, I'd get the IS300 and wouldn't look back. It offers better than average performace in a really nice package. Lexus also makes a "L-Tuned" version of the IS which has bigger 18" wheels and actually has a few more Hp. I read (Sportscar International) TRD is working on a supercharged version of the IS. . .
Old 01-22-2002, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, go for either the WRX or the IS. The MBenz C coupe looks extremely cheap inside, not the best quality, and it's too generic looking imo. Kind of reminds me of the failed BMW 3 series hatchback.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:51 PM

WRX is the best hands down. IS 300 is alright but the Subaru would kick its butt. The Mercedes is not a very well made car. Lot of corners were cut to make that pricepoint. Plus the merc is ugly, back end looks like a Chevy Cavalier.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:03 PM

I will pick the WRX
my mom drive a IS300. and it isn't sporter as I expect
It is very comfortable and quiet, but there are alot body tilt when making fast turn.
and it is not very stable when drive in high speed on the Freeway

the c230k coupe...your friend should wait to see is there are a V6 or AMG version come out in the future.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:02 AM

3 very different kinds of cars, IMO.

The Benz is a very nice hatchback. It performs OK and is pretty well equipped (as it should be for that much money) but it's ugly as hell, IMO. Not to my taste and more for someone who really wants a "badged" car for that curb appeal, I think.

The WRX is one hell of a performance bargain. It goes like stink, handles pretty well, and can be a really fun little car. To anyone who's spent some real time in one, however, it becomes readily apparent that Subaru spent all the money on the car''s drivetrain. The car is very tiny, IMO inside and would become tiresome after a while. At least, to me. I don't mind the way the car looks, especially with the BBS wheels and rear spoiler in silver. Again, it's a hell of a performance bargain, but it ain't no luxury car.

The IS is, to me at least, a Lexus version of the last BMW 3 series. It's very well balanced, quick but not blindingly fast, has excellent brakes and steering, and is a little cramped inside. It has all the luxo goodies one could want and has the benefit of Lexus resale, Lexus service, and the Lexus badge. Like the WRX, it's obvious that Toyota/Lexus spent more money on other parts of the car as opposed to the interior, but truth be told it's plenty nice. It comes standard with every bell and whistle that any reasonable person could want all at a price that's way below the C class Benz or 3 series BMW. It's a great car (my better half just got one) and I highly recommend it.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ICEMAN666
[B]Unless your friend wants the "name", don't get this car.

Quick Reply: WRX vs IS300 vs C230 Coupe