Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

WRX STI: 300hp, 300lb/ft torque, 2.5l Turbo

Old 01-06-2003, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX STI: 300hp, 300lb/ft torque, 2.5l Turbo

Unbelievable. Subaru has seriously trumped the EVO8 in a HUGE way!!!

Subaru Introduces the 2004 Impreza WRX STi at North American International Auto Show

`No-Compromise' Performance Model Is the Most Powerful Subaru Ever Offered in North America

DETROIT, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Subaru of America, Inc. today introduced the long-awaited 2004MY Impreza WRX STi, an ultra high-performance all-wheel drive sedan, at the North American International Auto Show. Based on the critically acclaimed Subaru Impreza WRX, Impreza WRX STi is completely re- engineered to provide world-class sports car levels of acceleration, handling and braking performance. Impreza WRX STi will serve as the performance flagship of the Subaru line when it arrives in dealerships this summer and will earn distinction as the most powerful Subaru ever offered for sale in North America.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20030106/PHM043 )

The Impreza WRX STi draws motorsports technology directly from Subaru expertise in World Rally Championship (WRC) competition, and is designed to appeal to the serious driving enthusiast. Impreza WRX STi is powered by a turbocharged and intercooled 2.5-liter DOHC boxer engine producing 300 horsepower @6,000 rpm and 300 lb.-ft. of peak torque @4,000 rpm, teamed exclusively to a 6-speed manual transmission. Power is transferred to all four wheels via a sophisticated Subaru All-Wheel Drive system designed to optimize performance in all conditions.

Introducing Subaru Tecnica International (STI)

STI stands for Subaru Tecnica International, the high-performance and motorsports subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. Subaru, which offers the only exclusively All-Wheel Drive line of passenger cars and crossover-type vehicles in the United States, has been proving the performance and durability of its All-Wheel Drive technology in World Rally Championship competition since 1989.

Until now, STi-badged Subaru vehicles had been available only in select world markets. However, the success of the WRX in the U.S. prompted strong (and vocal) demand from American consumers for an even more extreme- performance version of this car.

As a result, the U.S.-market Impreza WRX STi gives up nothing compared to models offered in Europe, Japan and other markets and in some ways offers more performance. For example, the 2.5-liter turbocharged powerplant is the largest displacement engine ever installed in a WRX STi model and is exclusive to the North American market. This unique engine also provides strong torque characteristics at both low and high rpm.

Rally Tested, Road Ready

The Impreza WRX STi benefits from the redesigned front and rear styling of the 2004MY Impreza line. The expressive new design is the result of close consultation with Subaru STi engineers and the Subaru World Rally Team to improve air resistance, optimize lift force balance, maximize engine cooling and provide Impreza models with a bolder, more dynamic appearance. In its exterior design, Impreza WRX STi leaves no doubts about its performance potential -- a look that is equally functional. The enlarged hood scoop in the aluminum hood feeds outside air to the intercooler that is significantly larger than the unit found on Impreza WRX. A completely functional dual element rear spoiler -- which appears to be borrowed directly from the Subaru World Rally Car -- helps reduce lift and improve stability at high speed. Airflow is also managed via front side spoilers on the front bumper and STi side ground effects. The front fascia features four high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with smoke tinted lenses and distinctive STi fog light insert covers for a no-nonsense look. Large diameter Brembo
Old 01-06-2003, 12:30 PM

Quad HID's, Brembo brakes, BBS wheels, dual plane rear wing, DCCD!! OMG, OMG!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2003, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the price? I suspect that this will be a $30k+ car. Not that its good or bad, but it certainly moves the Sti into a different market.

UL
Old 01-06-2003, 12:49 PM

Holy crap! Yes....that is what I had been waiting for... actual confirmation. I really like the numbers on the Evo but I just can't get past the styling. The numbers and the WRX ISTI look even more impressive. If it's coming out this summer, I better start saving up!
Old 01-06-2003, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now THIS is a car. I was impressed with the EVO, and I'm even more impressed with the STi. I wish I could afford to drive this and the S2000... but I'd still take the S2000 if I could only own one of the two.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Zam

It will also be much better looking...

I say it is the perfect car to complement the S2000.

Zam
Old 01-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Zam

One more shot:

It says at scoobytuner.com it should be out between Mar & June of this year. 8000rpm redline and $30-$32k.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Zam

Interior:

All courtesy scoobytuner.com.

Zam
Old 01-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 311 Likes on 149 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]What's the price?
Old 01-06-2003, 04:53 PM