Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would you purchase an exotic with....

Old 11-16-2003, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you purchase an exotic with....

...minivan doors?

The ones that pop out and then slide back.

Is this cool or I'm I an idiot?
Old 11-16-2003, 02:27 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

I would. My only concern is how much weight those gee-whiz doors would add. Big help on uphill parking
Old 11-16-2003, 02:41 PM

I wouldn't call you an idiot, but I wouldn't let you design a car for me either...
Old 11-16-2003, 09:16 PM

Okay, lemme explain how I can up with this idea. While watching the Top Gear review of the Ford GT(40?) I thought it was a cool and smart idea of having apart of the roof as the door. It makes for easy entries and exits.

So while I was focusing on my studies I wondered how that design could be bettered. Then it hit me. Minivan doors. Sliding doors don't occupy much space when they are fully opened compared to the conventional swinging doors. You don't have to worry about dinging other car doors, or yours for that fact. If you incorporate both designs you get a very practical and simple door design.

I think is beats all other doors. The only bad aspect is associating the door with a minivan.

Is there anybody else who thinks this is a bad design? If there is I
Old 11-17-2003, 02:32 AM

The slidings rails would give you problems aesthetically - there's no way to hide them. You could eliminate them with pieces that retract into the door/frame, instead of the traditional setup where it has a 3-point mount, with the 3rd mount at the back end of the door, but you'd lose a lot of its structural integrity in doing so.

If you don't want to ding your doors, just get some scissor (Lambo-style) doors.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:14 AM

The Koenigsegg has some sweet doors that slide forward.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:16 AM

The GT doors would still have something your minivan doors would lack....the ability to easily get in and out with a helmet on. I think that something like the minivan doors would have ugly rails and alot of weight, but for a really wide car it would be nicer than having to crack your door open in a tight parking spot.

Keith
Old 11-17-2003, 11:10 AM

I think you could maybe achieve something similar with suicide doors. hehehe, it's look kind of goofy having 2 doors with just 1 seat there, but it'd open up the middle of the area so you could easily get in and out, and would also cut down on the amount of swing the doors would have to them by 1/2. Might be goofy, but we are talking about putting a sliding door on a sports car here
Old 11-17-2003, 11:29 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

You could actually have the door swing out and back on extending and retracting arms as opposed to huge rails and such. They'd have to be beefy but it would allow you to keep the sliding rails to a minimum (and make it look pretty cool in the meantime). I'd probably have to draw it up to explain what I mean but I do know long, clunky rails aren't required. It'd kind of be a lift (push) and swing (slide) deal.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:59 AM

i think the lambo guys have this sorted with their upward opening doors!

Quick Reply: Would you purchase an exotic with....