Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would YOU get an Acura TL Type-S or a Lexus IS300?

Old 08-29-2002, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS300 with a 5 speed and RMS tail lamp covers for those hideous altezzas!
Old 08-29-2002, 07:52 AM

is300
Old 08-29-2002, 07:57 AM

If you are planning to drive it like a sedan, get the TL-S.

If you are planning to drive it like a sports car and mod the hell out of it, get the IS300. But probably you have picked the wrong car to begin with...
Old 08-29-2002, 08:19 AM

IS300 (should have made it a poll)
Old 08-29-2002, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by S2000typeR
one thing that doesn't appeal to me about the IS is that only in the automatic can you get a Nav System.
not true.

what is unfortunate (at least here in CA) is that you have to get the full leather seats to get the Nav system.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:54 AM

We went through this very same exercise when we purchased my wife's car earlier this year.

We ended up buying the Lexus and I'll try and share with you why.

First of all, let me say this. The Acura product is the better value. I don't argue that for a moment. You simply get more car (more space, more power, more doo dads, everything but a better warranty) with the Acura. Also the Acura is undeniably quicker in a straight line.

After all that, we chose the Lexus. Why? Driving dynamics, the Lexus experience, and driving dynamics again.

Simply put, straight line acceleration isn't everything. If it was, I would have bought a Mustang Cobra and not my S2k. The Lexus is plenty snappy off the line, in traffic and on the highway. The I6 motor is plenty quick and unbelievably smooth. The ride is stiffer in the IS but the payback is that handling is phenomenal. The car is very well balanced with fantastic brakes and you always feel like you have complete control over the car. To me, the TL was a little too big, a litttle too floaty, and while Honda has done a great job of dealing with torque steer, it's still there.

It's only the two of us, so the comparatively smaller back seat wasn't a problem for us. My wife and I are both small people (neither of us is taller than 5'6") and the Lexus product simply fit us better.

Finally, we got a very good deal on our car and we were treated like royalty. We took delivery essentially off the truck and paid $30,000 (b4 tax, lic., etc.) and got all the bells and whistles that we wanted. We did not want the full leather seating. We wanted the Alcantra suede inserts (a fantastic decision BTW) but we got the Xenon lamps, moonroof, LSD, 6 disc changer, heated mirrors, bla bla bla. About the only other option we did not get was the Nav system. Sometimes I wonder if we should have sprung for that but we only commute back and forth to work in the car and there's almost no residual in that option.

We got a fantastic rate over 60 months and have been ecstatic with our car. We just went pass the 10K mile mark. The car has been in for its first three regularly scheduled maintenance stops (the first two were paid for by Lexus/the dealership) and my wife is treated like a queen. We get a loaner car (an RX300 twice and the new ES300 the most recent time), the car comes back spotless and my wife has gotten a fresh rose when she took the keys back. I have no worries about her getting the BS that some dealers give to women bringing their cars in.

The truth is that the ownership experience thus far has been so good that Lexus has probably earned a customer for life in my wife.

I wanted the car for the way it drove, she wanted it for how it makes her feel. Suffice it to say, we're both very satisfied.

BTW, I wasn't originally all the fond of the tailamps either. However, our car (a dark Navy blue) doesn't have the chrome accents. The lamps are almost blacked out around them and the looks is very sharp.

A big from our household.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, actually given these two choices I'm afraid I would be buying a new pair of sneakers, because I would be doing a lot of walking. The TL Type-S although a wonderful car could never find its way into my garage because it does not come with a standard transmission. The Lexus does not appeal to me at all, both inside and outside. I would buy a BMW.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:09 AM

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

I like the IS.

Agrred that the Acura gives you more value but the Lexus dealers give you a better ownership experience.

For freezing roads, get a set of blizzak lm22s and you are good to go.

Where are you in law school?
Old 08-29-2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Triple-H
The Lexus does not appeal to me at all, both inside and outside. I would buy a BMW.
Style is subjective.

I, for one, was very interested in the BMW as well. However, the best price that I could get on the internet for a similarily equippped 330i (admittedly a nicer car, IMO) was almost $12K more before taxes, etc. That's a 40% premium and not even remotely worth it, again IMO. The 325i was even more money than the IS and I didn't think the 325i was as nice, nor as much fun to drive as the IS.

Honestly, I thought the IS was a better car than the 325i and not quite as good a car as the 330i. However, calculate in the value component and it's a no brainer. At least for me.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:25 AM

I had a Type S before I got the S2K. I would say the type S is much more classy. You don't have to worry about you car being "riced" out as much as with the IS300. Too many young kids getting the lexus and putting fart pipes on them. Also i wouldn't want those altezza lights, I mean you got american trucks with altezzas now Also the type S has a much better looking cabin. The only thing I would give to the IS300 is that it is RWD.

Quick Reply: Would YOU get an Acura TL Type-S or a Lexus IS300?