Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would you buy GM products going forward?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a recipe for another bankruptcy.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An emphatic NO. I had the new Camaro at the top of the list. It's now erased.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Saki makes a lot of great points.
Hopefully by the UAW owning a portion of the company, they will step up their efforts since now they are tied to the company's success.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM

GM needs to fire everyone except people associated with the Corvette & Corvette motor. That's been one of the few long-standing "good" products to come from there.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Jun 2 2009, 04:13 PM
Saki makes a lot of great points.
Hopefully by the UAW owning a portion of the company, they will step up their efforts since now they are tied to the company's success.
Like they didn't have a stake in the company's success before? Poppycock! If there was no UAW there wouldn't be any of these layoffs or factory closings. GM would have been profitable, as would the others.

Please, please, please people....study the true nature of the union movement in America. It's worked so well for the unionized workers that we barely have any industry left!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I'd get a Vette (when the wife lets me)
Old 06-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by GPMike,Jun 2 2009, 02:22 PM
Like they didn't have a stake in the company's success before? Poppycock! If there was no UAW there wouldn't be any of these layoffs or factory closings. GM would have been profitable, as would the others.

Please, please, please people....study the true nature of the union movement in America. It's worked so well for the unionized workers that we barely have any industry left!
I hear what you're saying, but it's like any workers who's paycheck isn't directly affected by the company's success, over time these folk tend to lose sight just how businesses work; the simple fact is that people don't work as if they were self employed, it's always me vs. the man kinda attitude.
Like in my company, folks continue to complain about receiving alot of work whereas I take pride in handling the largest caseload, when asked why I simply say it ensures my employment, better to be completely booked than sitting around. I guess it's cuz my parents were always self employed and my bro and I supplied free child labor growing up.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:36 PM

The workers suffered from the tragedy of the commons. Individually they are better off demanding more. They personally, in the short term, lose a lot by giving back. They know things need to change but they don't want to be the one to take the hit that change would require. It's not like they could move someplace else and get the same money and benefits for the same job. Also, it's easy to say that collectively things need to change but it's harder to say you are willing to take one for the team. Most/all of us here think the stimulus plan contains way too much pork. However, I admit it would be hard for me to say no to a bit of pork thrown my way.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think I ever want to purchase anything from government motors and I have already contributed more to the UAW than I ever wanted to give. I have lost plenty on bad investments and this is the worse investment I ever (involuntarily) made.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Jun 2 2009, 10:23 AM]Actually, its looking for people with finance experience, and no auto experience -

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090321/AU...0357/1022/rss10

You know, like the accountants that so successfully managed GM before but building cars to cost points rather than design merits.

The Obama Auto task forc has no one with auto experience on it.

Quick Reply: Would you buy GM products going forward?