Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would you buy a 4 door Mustang

Old 09-12-2024, 01:34 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by silvio1522
If I was looking for a 4dr sedan, and this fit the bill, why would I care what it was called? I agree it shows lack of creativity from Ford, but it wouldn't stop me from being a potential buyer, which I am not.

True, they called it a Flying Turd, but if it was a RWD, manual, flat plane V8, 2500lb beautifully designed car for $5k with a luxury car level interior, I'd buy it. But for the sake of this conversation through a marketing lens, it's a dumb move.
Old 09-12-2024, 03:49 PM

Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
But for the sake of this conversation through a marketing lens, it's a dumb move.
Right. If my memory serves me right, the Chevy Chevelle (and others) were available in coupe, sedan, convertible and station wagon trim. Not exactly a novel idea. Can't recall how well that move worked out!
Old 09-13-2024, 06:34 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Call in a Falcon and watch the old school Ford fans lose their collective minds (in excitement). Then sell it in Australia as well (see previous reaction, now repeat for Aussies).
Old 09-13-2024, 08:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

If I was looking for a 4dr sedan, and this fit the bill, why would I care what it was called? I agree it shows lack of creativity from Ford, but it wouldn't stop me from being a potential buyer, .
This was what I was getting at. I think calling it a Mustang is lame, but if you make a decent looking sedan with a V8 and a stick in a average car price range I don't care if you call it the Ford Failure, or the Ford Freakshow, or whatever, I would be interested in taking a serious look.

Since cars have always been about fads and trends and we have been on an SUV/CUV kick for way too long, I wonder if they made this and it was a success, and cars like the Integra Type S/Civic Type R flying off the shelves if automakers try to see it as a trend. It is harder to do these days because cars are so expensive and most people can only afford one that has to do everything if they can afford to buy new at all, but there are still car people with cash.

Last edited by vader1; 09-13-2024 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2024, 11:25 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Right. If my memory serves me right, the Chevy Chevelle (and others) were available in coupe, sedan, convertible and station wagon trim. Not exactly a novel idea. Can't recall how well that move worked out!

Right, some models were offered in multiple body offerings from the get go, and that's fine, like the Chevelle and Nova. But the Camaro wasn't, same with the Mustang. I'm just conversating from a marketing perspective, these same marketing idiots who think that it'll sell better by using a revered name like the Mustang should also understand how that name became revered. Brand managers, marketers, snake oil salesmen, whatever you want to call them, are sorta like NFL head coaches, at some point you realize that almost all of them are idiots hoping to take credit for a good team winning the Superbowl. If I was the chief marketing officer for a new product that the company owns the patent on that cured cancer while delivering world peace, I seriously could not F up that marketing campaign.

Anyway, as mentioned, if the car is good then it's good and I'd consider buying it, but this already creates a somewhat polarizing topic. As mentioned, would've been cooler if they dug into Ford's treasure trove of names.