Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would I be looking to die going straight in to an RC51?

Old 04-20-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Would I be looking to die going straight in to an RC51?

I haven't ridden a bike in years. Back in my high school days I did some dirt bike ridding for a few months with a 250cc but that is the extent of my motorcycle history. Recently I came across some money which will allow me to finally purchase a bike; but, I am hesitant about spending money on one which I may want to end up selling in a few months.

I remember looking at the RC51 about a year and a half ago and I fell in love. Now that I hear it's being removed from the model line after 03 I am worried about purchasing an F4i, R6, 750, etc. and missing my window of opportunity for purchasing the Honda.

For those that have purchased the 600-750cc level bikes listed above, how long did they keep you satisfied before wanting to go to the next level?
Old 04-20-2003, 12:47 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes....dead ..

If you are responsible no. However a RC-51 is a extreme sportbike, and likely to scare the crap out of you. Not a great choice for a newbie, but hey it's your money.

Personally I would love one for a track only bike, but not a street bike. Its hard on the wrists and back.

Why not buy a beater also, re-learn to ride that. Save the RC for when you are ready, say in about 10K miles.

George
Old 04-20-2003, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No bike will go faster than you let it. It's whether or not you have the willpower to keep things sane (most of us don't) that will keep you from hurting yourself.

I have had many hours of saddle time on a 51. The motor is awesome, the stock suspension works reasonably well...but I don't recommend it as a STREET bike for anyone. The riding position is of the "race only" type and will break your back on rides over 30 minutes. The side mounted radiators bake your legs even when you're moving fast. It is also quite challenging to ride smoothly, on/off/on throttle response is the most abrupt of any bike I've riden.

It is a great looking bike, and sounds crazy with pipes on it...but if you're hooked on a big twin, and it's for street use only, I'd buy a nice used Suzuki TL-R.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:13 PM
pfb

Not a great choice...

It might not kill you, but it will certainly be expensive to repair all those plastic parts the first time you dump it, and if you haven't *ever* ridden a powerful sport bike and have limited overall riding experience, I'd say a minor crash at minimum is likely...

On top of that, it's simply just not a great choice for everyday riding. Now if you plan on gong from near zero riding experience to open tracking the bike in a matter of weeks, maybe you should go ahead
Old 04-20-2003, 05:19 PM

Oh...I wanted to say.

I stopped riding on the street a couple of years ago. I ride friends street bikes occasionally, but 99% of my riding time is on the tack these days.

I found, before I sold my last street bike, that I wanted smaller and smaller bikes as my skills increased. I've owned GSX-R 1100s, 900RRs, GSX-R 750s...but my last street bike was an F4. I got bored with straight line speed and started to enjoy everything else more. To me there was a lot of personal satisfaction in being able to run a 600 at the front of a pack of guys on R1s and 929s.

All the newer 600s make a lot of power, you just have to work for it more.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:36 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sokitset
[B]Oh...I wanted to say.

I stopped riding on the street a couple of years ago.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:30 PM

Yeah, not a good starter... a GREAT SECOND bike though.

Start small and move up. I suggest a 250 to testosterone junkies, and 600's to responsible people.

Look into a used F4/F4i. The new 600RR looks too extreme for a newbie, and looks painful to ride, too, judging by sitting on it for a few minutes.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:47 PM

You're kidding right? An RC51 is a race bike with lights to make it street legal and puts out 120 horses at the rear wheel. You don't want to be making mistakes with that kind of power in your hands...else your life will come to a violent end.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:09 PM

My first bike was a Honda F4 and it was a perfect first bike. I did ride an RC51 during the first few months of riding and it was amazing - a real torque monster and really easy to ride if you can keep the wrist temptation.

But do you really need an RC51 at first? I seriously doubt it. You're just wasting money and will look silly when you get blown away by someone on a Vespa. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the wisest move would be to start out with something a bit smaller and to take a refresher course. I'll probably take a look at the F4i and some used VFR's.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Would I be looking to die going straight in to an RC51?