Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would this Honda sell well here?

Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would this Honda sell well here?

Would this Honda sell well here? I mean it has some mean options.

Leather, HIDs, motorized mirrors...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEFNDcY0i24&feature=player_embedded#![/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jai8ygxRfhU&feature=player_embedded[/media]
Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would, but the problem is AMERICAN Honda is run by a bunch of retards who believe Americans only want the dull, cheap non-performing stuff
We never got the previous version, especially the 3-door Civic Type-R, and almost all the Honda enthusiasts I know, would have loved to romp a Type-R

Ameican Honda, you suck...
Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I think it would. It would certainly attract younger buyers to the brand.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sign me up, I want one bad.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the right price they could sell a ton. At the wrong price, less than a ton.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

I think it would sell just fine. The new American civic got such bad reviews also. I don't under stand why they don't sell this version here. It would be a nice thing for many fit or other small hatchback owners to step up to without dropping alot of money. They new focus is similar and I think that will sell just fine. I also don't see how they justify the crosstour and yet don't sell this here. Not ever american has to have a massive suvish car.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I lIke it.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by fishfryer
At the right price they could sell a ton. At the wrong price, less than a ton.
I don't know the weight of that car but I think it's safe to assume that all modern Hondas weight over 2000lbs thus a single sale would constitute a "ton".

Really, we complain that Europe gets the nicer versions of the cars but we have also consistently seen that the US market is less willing to pay for "nice". This is illustrated by Ford having trouble selling the nicer Contour and Focus to the US market (they had to be cost reduced). This is being seen as VW decided to sell more cars they have to push the price down hence we get a larger but cheaper Passat and Jetta. We see this with the larger but cheaper Accord and Camry. The list goes on. Sorry, the US on average just isn't willing to pay for those nicer cars... at least not in this segment.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

I see your logic but I think it is alittle flawed. With the higher cost of ownership in Europe I would guess the people that can afford to own a car generally have a higher income on average than the average car buyer in the US. Also lets not forget that Europe does have much cheaper cars than this like the Fiat Panda or things like the smart car or the toyota IQ which are much smaller for the same price as our civic. The American market would have a higher volume of sales and therefore should represent lower prices than a lower volume market. Granted in the US you may sell 10x more base on middle of the road models to the high end model but thats why you would either order one with your specs or have some stuff as dealer installed options. I think all around the civic above would sell just fine here if it was made availible in the different range of trims.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I see your logic but I think it is alittle flawed. With the higher cost of ownership in Europe I would guess the people that can afford to own a car generally have a higher income on average than the average car buyer in the US. Also lets not forget that Europe does have much cheaper cars than this like the Fiat Panda or things like the smart car or the toyota IQ which are much smaller for the same price as our civic. The American market would have a higher volume of sales and therefore should represent lower prices than a lower volume market. Granted in the US you may sell 10x more base on middle of the road models to the high end model but thats why you would either order one with your specs or have some stuff as dealer installed options. I think all around the civic above would sell just fine here if it was made availible in the different range of trims.
Perhaps a better way to think about it is the European cars of this size are more premium. For the price of this Civic in the US you could buy an Accord. For most buyers the Accord is not only nicer (and typically the Accord does feel a bit more up scale than a Civic with similar equipment) but also more practical. I say more practical because generally the larger size of the Accord doesn't make it harder to park or much more expensive to fuel given our typically larger parking spaces and cheaper gas.

So yes, as you have said, if in the US you have $24k to spend on a Honda sedan you get the larger Accord rather than the loaded Civic. Conversely, in Europe if you have $18k to spend you get the Fit or something sub Civic with a level of features similar to our $18k Civic. Note: All prices created for illustrative purposes and not actually researched.

Quick Reply: Would this Honda sell well here?