Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would it be halfway crazy to buy this as a daily driver?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Performance can only get you so far (imo). The cobalt SS is so damn ugly, it really hurts for me to look at it (specifically the rear). The wing looks like those old ricer wings that people put on accords (think they were called shogun style kits), and the taillights look hideous as well. Props to GM for building a fast car, but man the styling isn't just bad, but offensive to me.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Why has nobody seconded my advice.... if you must have ITR, just take a fat insurance policy out on it and enjoy! If it gets stolen, oh well!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
Why has nobody seconded my advice.... if you must have ITR, just take a fat insurance policy out on it and enjoy! If it gets stolen, oh well!
Probably because there's others like me who think it's not worth the hassle of going that route. Even with coverage, I don't want to be worried about theft all the time and when/if it does get stolen I won't be saying "oh well, thats why I have insurance" as I'm stranded somewhere. It's just not worth it as a DD, should be a weekend toy only IMO.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by FurY
Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1382120246' post='22834525
Probably because there's others like me who think it's not worth the hassle of going that route. Even with coverage, I don't want to be worried about theft all the time and when/if it does get stolen I won't be saying "oh well, thats why I have insurance" as I'm stranded somewhere. It's just not worth it as a DD, should be a weekend toy only IMO.

Eh, true. You have a point.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man if i could i would buy another type r in a heartbeat
Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it.

I've been DD'ing a stock R in Toronto for the past 4 years and have loved every minute of it. Will it get stolen? Maybe. But that's why we have insurance. Is insurance expensive? Depends on many factors. I pay less than 100/month for full coverage for my wife and I.

Super reliable - I drove 14 hours straight to EXPO 11, beat the crap out of it for 2 days at CMP, and then drove it back 14 hours without a hiccup. I've never been stranded in the pits after any track events for that matter. For just driving around the city, there is something to be said about driving a slow car fast to lift your spirits without getting into too much trouble.

Also an amazing hauler. I've packed BBQ's, small furniture, lawn mowers etc into the back with the seats down.

It's a pretty good all around car for the money.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Performance can only get you so far (imo). The cobalt SS is so damn ugly, it really hurts for me to look at it (specifically the rear). The wing looks like those old ricer wings that people put on accords (think they were called shogun style kits), and the taillights look hideous as well. Props to GM for building a fast car, but man the styling isn't just bad, but offensive to me.
The big wing was a factory option. A decklid spoiler is standard.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
Originally Posted by woodburn' timestamp='1381984662' post='22831657
[quote name='Da New Yawka' timestamp='1381970537' post='22831378']
I said it before and I'll say it again: 2008+ Chevy Cobalt SS...Turbo..

Best FWD car ever....Future classic.....Get that for the same price and thank me for those good sleeps you will get.

It can hang with the big boys.

2.0 260 hp/260 tq
13.9@ 103 mph quarter mile stock.
It's fast for its time NOW. The type r was fast for its time THEN. Both are great cars but given the choice I would I undoubtedly pick the type r. Look at my sig
Educate yourself about the 2008+ Cobalt SS TURBO....A lot of people don't know much about its capacities.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/i...balt-ss-turbo/

It comes with 18" forged wheels, Brembo front brakes, magazine numbers are close to S2000 numbers. I have heard on the track, it can hang with RWD machines including the S2000. Not to mention u can actually launch this, unlike the S2000.

A 2007 Cobalt SS Supercharged and 2008 Cobalt SS turbo are 2 different stories. One has 205 hp and isn't bad and the other has 260 hp and it is turbo. If u had a 2008+ ,I doubt u wouldnt be saying that.

As for people saying, "then your driving a Cobalt". If your main objective is going fast, then it shouldn't matter. Do you know how many people have switched brands mainly because of the high theft of Hondas? We know.have to worry about.our whole S2000 getting.stolen, not just the seats.

I give the ITR its props, I owned a Teggy and loved it, but for MOST, its just not worth it.

They already are calling the Cobalt SS TURBO a future classic, due to limited production and how good the car is.
[/quote]
Dude I know about the turbo model also. I just don't care for the car much even given the extra 55hp. The car has cheap interior and the build quality is horriable.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by woodburn
Originally Posted by Da New Yawka' timestamp='1382058132' post='22833186
[quote name='woodburn' timestamp='1381984662' post='22831657']

Best FWD car ever....Future classic.....Get that for the same price and thank me for those good sleeps you will get.

2.0 260 hp/260 tq
It's fast for its time NOW. The type r was fast for its time THEN. Both are great cars but given the choice I would I undoubtedly pick the type r. Look at my sig
Educate yourself about the 2008+ Cobalt SS TURBO....A lot of people don't know much about its capacities.

It comes with 18" forged wheels, Brembo front brakes, magazine numbers are close to S2000 numbers. I have heard on the track, it can hang with RWD machines including the S2000. Not to mention u can actually launch this, unlike the S2000.

A 2007 Cobalt SS Supercharged and 2008 Cobalt SS turbo are 2 different stories. One has 205 hp and isn't bad and the other has 260 hp and it is turbo. If u had a 2008+ ,I doubt u wouldnt be saying that.

As for people saying, "then your driving a Cobalt". If your main objective is going fast, then it shouldn't matter. Do you know how many people have switched brands mainly because of the high theft of Hondas? We know.have to worry about.our whole S2000 getting.stolen, not just the seats.

I give the ITR its props, I owned a Teggy and loved it, but for MOST, its just not worth it.

They already are calling the Cobalt SS TURBO a future classic, due to limited production and how good the car is.
[/quote]
Dude I know about the turbo model also. I just don't care for the car much even given the extra 55hp. The car has cheap interior and the build quality is horriable.
[/quote]
I need details on the horrible build quality.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
Originally Posted by woodburn' timestamp='1382164383' post='22835449
[quote name='Da New Yawka' timestamp='1382058132' post='22833186']
[quote name='woodburn' timestamp='1381984662' post='22831657']

2.0 260 hp/260 tq

[/quote]
[/quote]
I need details on the horrible build quality.
[/quote]

It's a cobalt dude. The paint chips easy, the interior plastics feel so cheap, the window switches stopped working, the door locks don't work anymore, the seat warning stopped working, tail lights keep blowing out for some reason, gas tank started leaking, the remote for alarm and keyless entry dosen't work. That's about man. The engine has been super reliable though so that's good.

I almost feel the cobalt is like the new neon.

Quick Reply: Would it be halfway crazy to buy this as a daily driver?