Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would anyone pick a EVO over a STi ?

Old 05-02-2003, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think it'd be good for you to know that the 4G63 has been around for almost a decade, race proven AND mod proven. Also you can't compare PSI like that, it doesn't work that way. You can only do that if its the same turbo running at 19 psi being boosted to 22 psi. Let me give you an example, FD RX7s are running 9 lbs of boost, single turbo supras are running in that neighborhood as well. RX7s are notorious for breaking down if not taken care of PERFECTLY, detonation is a problem. I'm just saying there's many factors that contribute to reliability, and PSI isn't a good one for comparison. Different turbos made to run differently, bottom line. Again the 2.5L turbo in the WRX is not race proven, nor mod proven. The 4G63 has been pushing 400awp with no problems, and no upgrades necessary to strengthen the motor or drivetriain. I'd say that's plenty for me. The STI, well it's uknown how it will react under those conditions, we'll have to wait and see.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpander4
[B]Well I think it'd be good for you to know that the 4G63 has been around for almost a decade, race proven AND mod proven.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:21 PM

people have been modding and racing evos for the last decade. As long as you know what you're doing(tuning, proper monitoring with guages, proper fuel delivery) then they last as long as you want to. It's pretty proven man, you should check out evolutionm.net and do proper research before you make any decisions based on stuff that has no bearing on reliability.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpander4
[B]Well I think it'd be good for you to know that the 4G63 has been around for almost a decade, race proven AND mod proven.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:51 PM

NO!! The Evo is butt ugly.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:31 PM

anybody seen the brochure on the evo. Its really funny stuff. its like reading import tuner.

tuff choice b/w the evo and the STi. I prefer the sharp lines and the front/rear of the EVO.

oh, and the evo engine is very durable. the scubby engine is a 2.5l boxer - is unproven.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:31 PM

How is the 2.5L boxer not proven?

Sure, it's never been turboed in a USDM vehicle, but it's very capable as N/A and Cobb Tuning has a 2.5L turbo race car that is very reliable.

www.cobbtuning.com

-Matt
Old 05-05-2003, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by Cobreth
How is the 2.5L boxer not proven?

Sure, it's never been turboed in a USDM vehicle, but it's very capable as N/A and Cobb Tuning has a 2.5L turbo race car that is very reliable.

www.cobbtuning.com

-Matt
First of all "proven" is subjective. People will belive something is proven, even if its not just to satisfy what they like. 2nd of all, there is no debating that it is nowhere near as proven as the 4G63. Just because one race team is building and rebuilding and rebuilding motors, does not mean it is proven. Most race cars have fully built motors that like change every race. I said before the 4G63 is not only race proven on one of the largest race series in the world, but people have been boosting, modding, programming, and running the hell out of this motor on the streets for the last decade. It is known what the engine can take, and it is known what kind of things need to be done to ensure reliability. It is proven for instance that the stock turbo/internals on the 4G63 can get you safely to the 400hp mark daily driven. It is proven that 22psi is the limit you'd want to reasonably boost to on the turbo. All of this information is unknown for the 2.5L, and therefore, may not be unproven in your eyes, but compared to what the 46g3 has been through, it is certainly unproven. Until there are boosted STIs running hard on the US streets for a couple years it won't be proven......well not proven like the 46g3 is at least.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:06 AM

Any word on the EVO's tranny? Is it tough or manufactured to just barely take the cars stock power?
Does the EVO engine suffer from crankwalk? Or is that just the DSM's?

I think the STI weight was released, it's the same as the EVO's weight (perhaps auto week was wrong though).

xpander, have you traded in yet? You should at least test drive the STI, so you don't have to wonder what could have been.

Where the STI has so much suspension travel I bet there is a lot of room for improvement. I know the WRX 5spd wasn't the best tranny
but I've heard the STI 6spd is way stronger, prodrive didn't have to make any improvements.

It's bogus the STI doesn't come with a radio, come on. How much money could that have cut off the MSRP?

Happy boosting

P.S. If you do drive either can you take note of the throttle response, the WRX was pretty bad, the s2k is awesome.
I'm wondering how the EVO / STI will feel.

-Ed
Old 05-05-2003, 11:01 AM

The EVO has excellent throttle response. Thanks to the fact it boosts high with a small turbo, and uses twin-scroll technology, turbo lag is greatly minimized. Boost is there when you need it....BELIEVE me

A couple words on the EVO tranny:

[QUOTE]Hey guys and gals... Just a little extra information in reference to our 5 speeds...

Quick Reply: Would anyone pick a EVO over a STi ?