Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would anyone pick a EVO over a STi ?

Old 05-01-2003, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok

you're mean
Old 05-01-2003, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hoonda
Why did you bump this up? I'm gettin real sick of this topic...
trim the sig...
Old 05-02-2003, 06:04 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by s2kpdx01

trim the sig...

Old 05-02-2003, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who drives an s2000 or has that "handling first" mentality would go for the EVO. The EVO does everything better, except for go in a straight line. The STI has a noticeably softer suspension and chassis setup making it "more practical" on an everyday basis and also better and more forgiving on dirt roads. The EVO also looks better thanks to its sharp lines. The STI is too bubbly and cartoonish with its ridiculous front end and hood scoop. IMO
Old 05-02-2003, 06:41 AM

Top gear did a review this month with the UK STi 300bhp 299lb-ft torque out of the 2.0, and the UK evo (270 ish hp).

The evo was faster by 4 seconds around the test track at 1:34, vs 1:38 for the STI.
I know it's not apples to apples but it's something

They also tested a lotus elise 190, it ran 1:31.

They commented that the EVO felt telapathic compared to the STI, but both felt like tanks compared to the lotus.

The also had a super 7 running 1:29 i think.

At the end of the article most editors decided they'd take the EVO, because it is a good balance
of day to day livability and speed. Although the lotus was more fun at the track.

The lotus is apparently only slightly more livable than the kit cars.

STI or EVO hmm...
Tough.
If I was going to own it for 5 years STI,
if I was going to own it for 2 and mod it up the EVO.

I'll agree with XPander on the s2k mentality (handling first, speed second), the EVO is more tempting from that perspective.
(Which is why I got the s2k in the first place). The STI is a good mix, but if your into straight line speed the domestic boys
have much to offer in this price range.

I'll be intrested to hear how the EVO feels compared to the S2K, the S is a bit held back because of the electric power steering system.

-Ed
Old 05-02-2003, 07:05 AM

After driving the EVO, the S2000 feels pokey and unpredictable. The EVO is SO predictable, and it will never snap oversteer like the S2000 will. The EVOs steering is something to dream about at night. The ratio is the lowest i've ever seen/experienced on a car. You touch the wheel a little bit, and you're turning. Some may find this high HIGH steering response a negative, but once you get used to it, it makes it VERY easy to make input corrections mid turn. The EVO also feels much more planted at higher speeds(110+) than the S2000, obviously thanks to its huge carbon fiber wing, as well as the underbody aerodynamics of the car. The EVO has more grip thanks to the 235 advans all around, and the nice AWD with center coupling diff, and rear LSD. The EVO is a more aerodynamic vehicle, however there aren't that many high end sports cars that are less aerodynamic than the S2000, so this may not even be a factor to most. Another factor that comes into play is the torque issue. If you wanna drive the EVO hard you do not have to be in the lowest possible gear to maintain throttle control in a turn. As long as your near 3,000rpm, you're good. If you wanna drive an S2000 hard you better be at no less than 7,000rpm mid-turn on the tach, other wise you will not have the power at the wheels to control the car with throttle adjustments. Basically the evo inspires more confidence than any car i've ever driven. Add on the fact it has AWD, and this thing really does feel like its riding on rail road tracks. The S2000 is more of a momentum car. You have to know how to carry speed, and know how to keep revs flinging near redline all day long, much like a sport bike. I personally feel the 2000 is the more unforgiving of the two, but again, how many cars do you know as unforgiving as the S?

One's a rally car, ones a roadster. The EVO handles like a rally car would, and the S2000 handles like the perfect roadster. It's not really fair to compare the two because I feel they are both at the very top of their respective goals/style. But when you look at what a rally style car is made for, it's no surprise that it handles better(and that its uglier ), the car is made to handle in the most extreme of circumstances, so when you put it on pavement, watch out.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:41 AM

Your review kind of reminds me how I felt about my WRX.
Very easy to correct mid turn, very, very forgiving. I've recovered from some insane mistakes in awd cars.

In my old impreza RS I actually recovered from a near spin, no joke I was about 10 degrees from a complete 180.
It was on snow I turned way too fast. But I hung in there and unbelivablely pulled out of it! a 170 degree correction!

I wouldn't belive you if you told me that so I don't expect anyone to belive me. If I was on pavement I couldn't have corrected
because the RS didn't have nearly enough power to keep all 4 spinning in that situation.

Personally I love the touch of danger and dificulty of driving the s2k, gets the heart pounding. In a very different way than my WRX did.
The risk of messing up is scary enough to be fun (for me anyway). And knowing the difficulty makes it all the more rewarding when
you get it right.

But I can totally see the appeal of ultimate control

I think the EVO is more of a realistic tarmac car, it's tires and suspention seemed designed to maximize that.

The STI is apparently better in dirt and snow like a rally car (more suspention travel). It's designed to take the bumps in
stride. Which my wrx did as well, crazy suspenton travel and it kept clinging it's really an amazing thing to feel.

Honestly though, how much time do any of us spend driving in the snow / dirt? And of that time
how much is spent racing? Almost none if you're on a public road.

If I got an EVO I'd drive the tires off of the stock set and get a semi crappy set of all seasons with good break away.
Not nearly as fast, but lots of fun (again, danger is sadly appealing to me).

-Ed
Old 05-02-2003, 07:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NoMoreWRX
[B]
If I got an EVO I'd drive the tires off of the stock set and get a semi crappy set of all seasons with good break away.
Not nearly as fast, but lots of fun (again, danger is sadly appealing to me).
Old 05-02-2003, 08:02 AM

Your talking to a guy who still has his snow tires on in 75 degree weather.

That is what I call fun OMG they are so much worse than my summer tires. I don't even have to be near switchover to coax some tail out fun. The car actually understeers now if I go a bit to fast into a corner, a little throttle fixes that .

I'm swiching soon, i've been lazy. But, the snows are more "fun" for me though

-Ed
Old 05-02-2003, 11:50 AM

My plan is to try to get into the Sti. Why? Numbers seem to go the way of the evo but I think I would prefer to have the 2.5l 300hp engine at 14 Pounds of boost over the 2.0 at 19 pounds of boost, that just worries me.

Quick Reply: Would anyone pick a EVO over a STi ?