Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is it worth getting a bike lock?

Old 06-19-2002, 09:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it worth getting a bike lock?

any recommendations?
Old 06-19-2002, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends.

for me, i live in a nice neighborhood and rode in nice neighborhoods. moreover, the bike stayed in the garage.

if those conditions didn't exist then maybe i'd re-think it. however, if (for example) i couldn't garage my bike i wouldn't have bought one. bikes were always play things and too easy to steal so the headache and stress of parking outside wouldn't have been worth it, IMO.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:37 AM

Nothing is going to keep someone from stealing your bike if they want it bad enough. A few guys can carry most motorcycles and place them on a trailer or in a truck easy enough. What you really need to protect against is the casual thief that just seizes the opportunity. For that individual I always lock my fork and use a rotor lock when I am forced to park away from home. It isn't going to keep a real thief from stealing the bike, but it should deter a person looking for an easy theft. You can also add an alarm system that would really slow em down.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:38 PM

Dan,

If you are going to park your bike in Flushing or anywhere in NYC for that matter, I'd strongly recommend at least a rotor lock. If you are going to leave your bike outside over-night, you should have a chain.(the best one is the New York Chain)
I would also put an alarm on the bike too just in case. I learned the hard way, I had my new ZX-6R stolen from the front of my house with rotor lock. I didn't even break in the bike yet.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:18 PM
Former Moderator

Tom, yeah Flushing and Manhattan are in the plans. I figure it would be easier to find parking with the bike on my weekly basketball league and volleyball league games. So I guess I need a lock and alarm.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:31 PM

A lock will

- NOT prevent someone stealing the bike
- Prevent your insurance company from NOT paying you

Get a rotor lock, it's not expensive compared to the value of your bike. Mine came with a handy storage bracket for when not in use. I put it on the bolt the exhaust pipe hangs on so it's out of sight. Don't keep something like a lock say in your pocket while driving, it may cause really serious damage to your bones if you crash and land on it.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:36 PM
Former Moderator

Are there any better rotor lock that I should be looking for or are they all pretty much the same?
Old 06-20-2002, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by turbo_pwr Are there any better rotor lock that I should be looking for or are they all pretty much the same?
There's probably a bunch of good ones to choose from, I use an Abus lock, it's supposed to be one of the best. Check out http://www.abus.com/abus/usa/menu/motorcyc...ictory_page.htm

One thing to remember is to always check you have removed the lock before driving off! Sounds silly, but many have stood on their ears by forgetting that.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:15 PM

Uhh, "stand on your ears" is perhaps a Swedish expression. Having trouble keeping the languages apart here...

It means falling flat on your face, or something similar.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:17 PM

so running a rope chain type lock through both wheels and to a metal fence is no good?

Quick Reply: Is it worth getting a bike lock?