Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is it worth it to buy a 90s sports car now adays?

Old 02-23-2005, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, unless there is some nostalgic connection or financial reason, buy new.

Cars evolve; why would you want something extinct or out-dated?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:09 AM

A friend of mine had one back in the mid 90's. Awesome car back then. They never really got a lot of respect due to all the gizmos and the fact that VR4 weighs almost 4000lbs. I remembver the car being very fast and fun to drive.

Oh, one thing I can remember from those sites. a lot of the cars had engine trouble once they 100,000 miles. So I would try to find one with low miles....good luck
Old 02-23-2005, 10:36 AM

[quote name='Clayman' date='Feb 23 2005, 02:29 PM'] Thanks for apologizing in advance....

....but, NO I'm not talking about in a straight line.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my opinion, but I feel that most 90's sports cars are not the best ever made. Thew one exception is the Miata. They are good, solid little cars that are bullit-proof and cheap to fix and modify.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I think the MR2 T is the closest thing you'll find to a 90's sports car that is similar to the S. If you want a fun, light AWD sports car, get a Subaru XT-6.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:11 PM

As fanman has mention, if you have money get the RX-7 TT. Seriously that car still looks sexy as it stands today. It is lightweight just like the S2000 and can be made to have good power. It doesn't matter what car you are buying... you just better do your homework on the repair of those cars.

-Alan
Old 02-23-2005, 05:27 PM

My favorite from the ones mentioned thus far is the RX7. The styling is still up to date and it was one of the 2 (MR2-T being the other one) that was sub-3000lb (2800lbs for both the MR2-T and RX7). I would still like to get an RX7 if there weren't so many reliability issues w/ the 13B motors. Keeping them completely stock, you can get some decent mileage out of them, near 100k, but that assumes the previous owner took very good care of it (which many didn't), or that you buy a new motor or have it completely rebuilt. Once modified tho, the 13Bs didn't last much beyond 60k after needing rebuilds. The seals would go, even if you got the larger 3mm apex seals. Just too many issues from the engine that killed an amazing car/chassis.
I love Supras...they just look so nice. But like many have said, good luck finding one that hasn't been abused horrendously, and even one for a decent price. They did weigh quite a bit, but still felt good and are monster-fast in a straight-line. I still love the look of a nicely modded Supra.
For the VR4's, I only liked the last years when it was around (was that 97 or 98?). I liked the headlight redesign and some of the other subtle changes in the front and rear fascias. I have no idea or insight into their reliability. Considering they weighed almost 4000lbs, I doubt I would've gotten one then (had I been able to afford it) nor get one now if I really wanted a 90s sports car.
300ZX's look nice and performed well. They weighed close to that of the Supras, but the styling never appealed to me as much as the Supra.
MR2-Ts are nice!...the other 2800lb car mentioned. Tho I like the way they look and perform, I'd still take the RX7 over it if both were equally reliable. My friend's building up a 93 SW21 (NA version) w/ a 3S-GTE. It'll make about 300bhp once done, running on the stock engine and CT26 turbo. It should be a very fun ride! Considering it's reliability over the RX7, if I were to get one, I'd get the MR2-T...preferably a 93+, but those are impossible to find.
Sorry, I didn't at all help in your decision for the VR4 or other 90s sports car. I just wanted to chime in as I always find myself wanting one when I see them on the street. The 2 I long for most are the RX7 and Supra, but I wouldn't replace my S with one. It'd be in addition. But, there's always a reason why I don't get one...VR4 - the years I like are pricier and they weigh too much, Supra - pricey and abused, RX7 - damn 13B motors!...and I don't want to be the guinea pig for a 4-rotor Renesis, 300ZX - just not as interesting to me as the others, MR2-T - most likely one of all of them, but I've always had issues about buying an MR turbo'd car...and since my friend has one, I'll just get my MR2-T experience thru him.

edit: holy crap!...I wrote a LOT!, and most of it probably didn't even make sense...blah blah blah blah blah...bleh...brainfart...............
Old 02-23-2005, 06:04 PM

I agree with a lot of other posts but would like to add my 2 cents:

Supra - probably the most coveted 90s car from Japan. Pros: Great looks, decent handling feel for a car its size. Potential, potential potential! Targa top always a bonus Cons: Expensive to buy and to perform major mods. It is a myth that these cars can make tons of power for just pennies on the dollar. If you want to play with the big boys you had better pay like the big boys. Handling is not up to par with the smaller cars from this period (i.e. MR2, NSX, RX-7)

RX-7 - probably the best looking car from this time period. Pros: Great handling, Potential, potential! Sound of a rotary! Less expensive to buy the car and parts than many others from this time period. Increased popularity of engine swaps (i.e. LS1). Cons: Engine is VERY delicate compared with peers. Power potential is not up to par with Supra. Ride can be very harsh compared with peers

VR4 - probably the best daily driver of the bunch. Pros: AWD, AWD, AWD!! The convertible is a very nice piece! Less expensive than many of its peers. Cons: Expensive to modify and less potential than its peers. Handling is not up to par with the others in this group. Very heavy!

I can't speak to the MR2 but I am sure it has its ups and downs like all cars. If it were me I would go with the 7 first followed closely by the Supra. The 7's 13B does not have the power potential of the Supra's inline. But the handling feel is just so good I can forgive that, AND a modded LS1 engine inside the bay of a RX7 will put almost all Supras to pasture and probably costs less...

hmmmm toss the rotary for piston power what a concept.....
<Flame suit on>
Old 02-23-2005, 06:40 PM

If anything get the Supra or RX7. Two of the best Import sport cars from the 90s.