Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is it worth it to buy a 90s sports car now adays?

Old 02-22-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BPUKiller' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:51 PM
Supras are great and they age even better. People don't think it's from the early 90's. A VR4 is a overweight FWD POS, over 3800lbs. Yes I said FWD because that's how it runs unless they start to slip then the AWD kicks in.

Sam
I've mentioned this before, but both my roommate and his dad have both owned VR4's that were modded to hell. His dad still has his and it has been dead reliable through 80k miles. My roommate drove his far more aggressively, and with proper care, it gave him absolutely no problems. These cars are serious ass kickers when modded properly. If you doubt me, check out some of the aftermarket tuned cars.

The way theirs were/are tuned, they are simply monsters on the track. I will say they drive differently than the S, but they are still very fast and have tremendous braking and handling. With the AWD, they are virtually unstoppable on the track. To hell with what everyone else says, I've had firsthand experience with THREE of these cars (a '91, '94, and '97), and they've always been great. If anyone doubts me, you should've seen my roommate's '94 beat the living piss out of a 993 turbo. It was downright embarrrassing for the 993. I say go ahead and buy one; you won't regret it!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha you said 300zx easy to repair.......no comment

Going from a s2000 to a VR4 to me is not worth it step down. Going fast in a straight line gets boring fast. So much $$$$$ into my 300zxTT then it just got old and I sold it and lost out on alot of my mod money. Stock timesof the TT match the stock times of the s2k pretty much. Best 300zxTT time is 13.8 or so and best s2k time is 13.8. Once the modding starts then of course the turbo will def do better.

Basically, if its going to be your DD then be prepared to spend alot of
$$ when something goes wrong and for cars these old crammed with technology of the 90s, its not a matter of if but when. Even worse are the high mileaged ones. Have a few thousand in the bank in case shit happens. That was the first the 300zxTT owners told me and it turned out right.
Buy a beater as a backup also.

I remember us Z owners use to give shit to the VR4 owners. Seriosuly, think about it...Mistsu service There was a pretty bad prob on the trannies of the VR4 shitting out I belive. Not sure its been awhile. Plus I see VR4s everywhere!!!! 300zx almost as much to. Most of them aren't in great condition at all.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:42 PM

remember us Z owners use to give shit to the VR4 owners. Seriosuly, think about it...Mistsu service There was a pretty bad prob on the trannies of the VR4 shitting out I belive. Not sure its been awhile. Plus I see VR4s everywhere!!!! 300zx almost as much to. Most of them aren't in great condition at all.

This post has been edited by SilverKnight on Feb 22 2005, 11:36 PM

I agree on the mits service and about those trannies i think they had trouble with the motors to.

But i wouldn't buy a car from a company that couldn't keep a crank in one( Usdm 4g63t)
Old 02-22-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

haha you said 300zx easy to repair.......no comment tongue.gif
Okay, I should have qualified that. Compared to an RX-7, MR2 or VR4, they are easy to repair...

And if you get any car and mod it, you will have more problems than if you kept the car stock. I'd go with a car that I'd be happy with as close to stock as possible, like an MR2 - it will probably be the most like your S as far as manuverability and "spriteliness".
Old 02-22-2005, 08:49 PM

Well, one particular reason is that I want the mods to do something to the car- and the VR4 responds extremely well.

I guess the reliablity will make it practically unmoddable from what I hear?

Also, yes, this will be for the most part a daily driver with a short 6mi commute to school.

My S will be mostly straight line racing (puts on flamesuit hehe) but I like the ability to take some nice corners and still have fun through the canyons.

With the 300zxTT/Rx-7 I could make up for that by throwing some huge drifts that I can't do in an S

I don't think the VR4 can drift very well though... AWD and Heavy?

The thing is also its going to be the car pus about 8-10k in mods and repairs if necessary even though I wouldn't like to spend much, or any, on repairs.

The S is looking best so far.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:53 PM

NSX, Supra, anything LS1 that's what I would buy.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:03 PM

oh wow forgot to mention this!! All those cars above were excesiively overweight!! 3600lbs, supra, 300zx. Vr4 was the fattest piggy of them all, even heaviar than the supra and 300zx.

Its a world of diff going from 3600 to 2755 I love the weight loss, don't ever want a heavy car again.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:26 PM

I could tell this topic is as biased as they come since no other cars but japanese were mentioned as "90's sports cars" not that I'm putting you down, but there are many more sports cars made in the 90's that were pretty good.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:46 PM

My friend had a 300o GT for a while, eventually sold it & now has a Supra TT. The interior of the 3000 GT was ahead of it's time. Very nice interior, but the car was a beast, in that it was very ponderous & felt like it. If I had a choice from a 90's car & was coming from an S2000 it would be the RX7. Talk about a car that still looks sexy today. And you can get over 300 hp with a simple exhaust, & intake swap. My friend had one with the intake, exhaust, boost controller, & upgraded IC was pushing out 300+ at the wheels. Unfortunately the reliability factor isn't there. But hell, if you want a car that needs maintenance you might as well get one that goes fast & corners well (comparable to an S2000). Unless you are going for 450 whp + the RX7 can be a beast of a car & it is light.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:21 AM

[quote name='Clayman' date='Feb 23 2005, 04:15 AM'] I've mentioned this before, but both my roommate and his dad have both owned VR4's that were modded to hell.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to buy a 90s sports car now adays?