Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Women and cars

Old 11-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Women and cars

I like to tease my wife about women and cars. If you gave my wife $1 million to park parallel park her car, she could not do it. I just posted a story of my brother not changing his oil because he knows nothing about cars and though of two different women and cars stories, so I though to be male chauvinists, we could share stories about our mom's, sister's, wife's, girlfriend's total screw ups with cars.

The two things that come to mind first are when my sister took me along to test drive a car. She wanted a stick shift because she had driven one for 10 years an really enjoyed it. 10 points for her! We were driving a couple of the mini utes and she kind of liked the Kia Sportage but thought it lacked power. I said, yeah if you really want this car you are going to have to rev it high and do lots of downshifting to keep up with traffic. She said, "Downshifting? What is that?" I said, "You know when you don't have enough power so you drop down a gear get going." She said, "You can do that?" Apparently for ten years, she just rode the highest gear she attained until coming to a stop because she thought that was the only opportunity to "start over". She must have lugged the hell out of that engine. -10 points.

Another girl I knew in high school, who was totally hot but very blond, was taught by her father to change oil. 10 points for her! He wanted her to be self reliant and know about the car she was driving. One day, her car was due for a change so she went to thegarage to retrieve a new filter and some oil from the cases her dad had in the garage. She changed the oil and it would not start. Her father spent the next week getting it running again. She forgot the part about the dipstick "full" line and just kept pouring in quarts of oil until it was full to the top of the crankcase. -20 points.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Hahaha. Jesus.

Women and cars-gpalgih.gif
Old 11-05-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Hahaha. Jesus.

You beat me to it
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was fun that my wife is miffed about the fact that her TL is limited to 130 mph.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Girl I dated in College had a friend who would RANDOMLY BRAKE while driving on the freeway. I'm not talking about applying pressure to modulate speed, I'm talking full-on braking where the car jerked and squabbled. I asked her wtf the reason for that was and she replied, "It makes me feel safer."

Randomly braking at speeds of 60mph+ makes you feel safe??

Regardless, I'm no longer with said girlfriend and only rode with her friend that one time...glad I'm still here to talk about it.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:03 PM

This isn't so much a "der, my wife are dumb because vagina" type post as it is an observation on gender roles and how they affect our purchasing decisions (thesis paper, anyone?), but I am always fascinated to hear what my wife thinks about cars. She has no interest in them as anything other than an appliance, so my enthusiast's perspective is equally perplexing to her, no doubt.

But so far she has told me that I can never have a 911 because it's an "old man car." She constantly gets her Pontiac Vibe mixed up with actual SUVs (like Ford Explorers, etc.). She's said things like, "Is that the same car I have?" while pointing to like a Honda Pilot... WHILE WE'RE DRIVING IN TH VIBE and are sitting at eye level with the Pilot's tires. She refuses to believe that my 2003 Civic Si is not a minivan. Corvettes are "dorky." The Honda Odyssey is "luxurious". It goes on like this.

Every time we drive somewhere I'm constantly asking her, "What do you think of that car, and that one?" I am always floored by the answer.

Here's the important part:
In the time I've been married to her I have arrived at a very significant conclusion. She is the reason that car companies do all that stuff that makes enthusiasts go, "WTF?" And then it occurs to me that, statistically speaking, I'm the weird one and she's just a typical consumer. And it makes me sad. So... so sad.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

my woman tracks her car...

and she has tracked mine.

One requirement of mine of the women I date is that they know how to drive a manual gearbox.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Here's the important part:
In the time I've been married to her I have arrived at a very significant conclusion. She is the reason that car companies do all that stuff that makes enthusiasts go, "WTF?" And then it occurs to me that, statistically speaking, I'm the weird one and she's just a typical consumer. And it makes me sad. So... so sad.

My wife makes double what I do, and her employer gives her a negotiated $700 a month car allowance which she could lease/buy or use the money as income. It buys shoes.

She only wanted three potential cars this last time around, the Fiat 500 and Ford Focus because they are "cute" or the Kia Soul because she likes the hamster commercials. She said if they gave away a plush hamster doll with the car she would have bought one. She ended up buying the Focus, and a week later hated it. (I think it is decent) The reason is "when I push on it, it does not go and I hate the Ford Touch." She never test drove it and does not get why the gutless engine and poor transmission are not responsive.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know of any screw-up stories.
So for the opposite: October 18, 2008 - the date my wife finally beat me at an autocross.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:00 PM

I know most guys think it's neat when a girl is really into cars but I'm so glad my wife doesn't care about cars. We do everything together, so this gives me my own hobby. I love spending time with her, but some things have to stay sacred.

Also, every girl I have ever met or dated who is "really into cars" feels the need to talk about cars and, like most car enthusiasts, they're clueless yet filled with opinions.

Seriously, every girl I've ever met who was into cars had to wear it on their shoulder like, "Hey, me too, guys." It's like that annoying girl in highschool who made out with a girl. I get it. Guys like that about you. Can you stop mentioning it ALWAYS?

Quick Reply: Women and cars