Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Will the Elise be a lot more "fun to drive" than the S2000?

Old 02-26-2004, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Elise is a better weekend car, and a worse daily driver. Don't even think about New England winters. The S2000 is more of a real car...as the prior owner of two Lotus 7 clones, remember that all the things that drive you crazy about the Honda as a daily driver will be there but more so. Despite the Toyota engine, it is still a Lotus, and things WILL fall off.....
Old 02-26-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Fstein
The Elise is a better weekend car, and a worse daily driver. Don't even think about New England winters. The S2000 is more of a real car...as the prior owner of two Lotus 7 clones, remember that all the things that drive you crazy about the Honda as a daily driver will be there but more so. Despite the Toyota engine, it is still a Lotus, and things WILL fall off.....
I don't remember anything that drove me crazy about the Honda. While I'm sure the Elise will have it's British car problems, it's going to be nowhere near what you get from the 7's. As long as the engine, drivetrain, and body don't/doesn't fall off, I'm happy. That's what a three year warranty is for. This won't be my daily driver and I don't live in New England.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:24 PM

i think it will be better for different people , some like the S and others will definitely like the elise BTW hi Tidal
Old 02-26-2004, 06:11 PM

I'm sure it's slightly more fun, but not a lot more. The more fun part is in its lighter weight, faster acceleration, etc. Both cars should handle amazingly to a good driver.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:23 PM

I've driven the VX220 turbo in England. Compared to my '03 S2K it felt:
- Faster
- Flimsy (rattles, bad ventilation, overall crappy built quality)
- Very cramped
- WAY lighter on its feet
- Gearbox slightly worse and harsh (even though it was a Gertrag item - but remember I had to shift with the left)

I liked:
- The speed, the lightness, the directness

I hated:
- NO REAR LIMITED SLIP DIFF. You won't see that in _any_ review. Yes, it may not need it all the time, but I like oversteer and you can't properly control it (or induce it) without an LSD. Probably you can find one aftermarket, but you'd have to look hard.
- Too flimsy to be considered side-by-side the S2K. In fact I'd call it marginal for everyday driving (almost as bad as a motorcycle).

The flimsy part *may* be partially taken care of by the US edition. Hopefully. Won't know till I drive one.

I 'd love to love the Elise, but after this test drive I 'm not sure I could live with it (not to mention the $10-$15K premium over the S).

Yiannis
Old 04-24-2004, 09:13 PM

Add us to the list, I am keeping my 02 S2k and my girlfriend is getting the Elise in a couple of months and trading in her 04 S2k!
Old 04-24-2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by nzaizar
Add us to the list, I am keeping my 02 S2k and my girlfriend is getting the Elise in a couple of months and trading in her 04 S2k!
Now wait, how did she get so far up on the list to get getting on in a couple months? What number is she on the list? What color, options is she getting? I know she hates the 04, but I'm surprised she's getting an Elise. Are you going to steal it away from her and give her back her 02 S2K?

That's cool though, maybe you can make some mods for us!
Old 04-25-2004, 06:20 AM

I can't say what number we are as I have no idea but i do know she was very specific about what she wanted so it will take a couple of months! I guess the only dealer in this area is Good Friends with my buddy Mark from the Wilde auto group and he can pull favors. I don't think she is "bumping" anyone because of her choices! She is a spoiled little bitch and I had nothing to do with it! We were at Sebring last weekend and I was talking to an Exige owner about cameras and she came up and said "oh what a cute car" and then they proceded to discuss the new Elise's arrival and no more than an hour later she had already reserved one! Oh how I hate her sometimes!
Old 04-25-2004, 02:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tidalwdave
Old 04-25-2004, 06:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda606

Quick Reply: Will the Elise be a lot more "fun to drive" than the S2000?