Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Will the Elise be a lot more "fun to drive" than the S2000?

Old 02-20-2004, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by suvh8r
Old 02-20-2004, 06:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice info, Ive been tracking the arrival of the new elise for a while now!
Old 02-20-2004, 07:51 AM

For some other reviews on the Lotus Elise goto:

www.evo.co.uk
www.topgear.com

Great car, fantastic kart like handling, and will out drive an S2000 on a track. The trade off from S2000 to Elise is the lack of practicality. I would love to have an Elise 111S, but the lack of *luxuries* e.g. elec hood, boot space etc mean the S2000 is a more sensible option as I only drive one car.

The Elise is a perfect 2nd / weekend car.

Shame you guys don't get the VX220 as IMO its better than the Elise. Same performance as the 111R but far more tunable as the engine is a 2 litre turbo (192 hp as std).
Old 02-20-2004, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by moff
For some other reviews on the Lotus Elise goto:

www.evo.co.uk
www.topgear.com

Great car, fantastic kart like handling, and will out drive an S2000 on a track. The trade off from S2000 to Elise is the lack of practicality. I would love to have an Elise 111S, but the lack of *luxuries* e.g. elec hood, boot space etc mean the S2000 is a more sensible option as I only drive one car.

The Elise is a perfect 2nd / weekend car.

Shame you guys don't get the VX220 as IMO its better than the Elise. Same performance as the 111R but far more tunable as the engine is a 2 litre turbo (192 hp as std).
Not sure if you read the reviews I posted above. One was the Elise against the VX Turbo. Elise was the car of choice. Did you know they redid the Elise to bring it over here? You can get a/c, power windows, sound insulation, full leather, 4 speaker MP3 player, power locks, full carpet, alarm, ABS, Celica engine (190hp), Celica gearbox. Pretty much a set up like the S2K, but no cruise control, no power top, and not as much storage space.

I do wish the VX was available here though. Still a cool car.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Although the lotus will appeal to some of the same folks i do not think it is a valid comparrision. the elise is alot lighter as it is made of fiberglass and held together with glue. The engine is a tricked out mass produced Toyota Engine. The top and other features are afterthoughts comparred to the package of the engine and suspension.
the Elise is more track car than street car. It is over $40,000 to buy.

The Honda is different, but still a 4 cycl roadster, it is also hand built, goes for alot less money, can handle very well in the right hands probably keep up with the lotus, except for the weight...our cars maybe safer to be in a crash with due to the way they are built. We have the best gearbox known to man, need no upgrades or extras/packages to do respectible track work, and our cars can be driven every day as a road car, with real trunk, power weatherproof top, and all extras you might want, standard.

Add to the above our cars are mid/front engine, highly advanced in every aspect of design, share no other components with other cars, have a race bred engine, and are made of metal.

I guess the bottom line to me is that I would prefer a S to an Elise, I have tracked with some and seen them up close, sat in the cockpit, read and seen video reviews...for everyday driving and life in general I think the S is a more fun package, to drive.

Now, if i had both to drive on a track for one day,back to back, i would be in a better position to say which was actually more fun to drive on a track...in eveyday life i can say for sure the s is, and i am not even bringing reliability into the picture.

All this coming from a member of the Golden Gate Lotus Club, great cars for sure.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hirev
Old 02-22-2004, 05:59 PM

How can anyone not like this car!?

Old 02-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just made the decision to get on the list last week, and that color is now at the top of my 'short list'. YUM!!!
Old 02-22-2004, 06:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SC_Highlander
Old 02-22-2004, 11:52 PM

If everyone says it is an excellent handling car, I am sure it is. As far as the look, I still like S2000 more. Even so, I still wish to see it on the streets all the time.

Quick Reply: Will the Elise be a lot more "fun to drive" than the S2000?