Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why so many teens have $$$ cars?

Old 01-24-2004, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could have had a nicer car at a younger age, but I didn't. Sometimes you get what you deserve, sometimes you don't.

Life isn't fair. Don't dwell on it.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:53 PM

good ish sen-
Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 PM

MattH25
[QUOTE]They aren't putting us down because of that. They are putting us down (more like we are putting ourselves down) becuase we come off as uneducated, ungrateful, and disrespectful brats. Granted this is the internet but look at the spelling and grammar of some in this thread. It is downright garbage. Your is not spelled ur!!! No wonder they don't respect or value our opinions and input. They've lived life a heck of a lot longer than we have and no doubt have much more experience. It would be wise for us to start listening.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:05 PM

Arguments formulated from opinions can never be resolved. However, different perspectives on this issue provide more mutual understanding, something that I think all of us need.

I am not as young as some of you and not as old as many of you, but we all share something in common: We are young at heart. We drive S2000's, that's why. I am glad to be part of this community.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:58 PM

What's wrong with kids driving a S2000? I am 16 and I have one. But I have to keep straight A's in school and never get a speeding ticket or my parents will take away my car. They paid $15,000 and I paid the other $10,000 myself with my job. If someone earns something then there is nothing wrong with it. I had to work hard and keep working hard to get it so I actually value my ownership of a nice car at a young age and I take care of it unlike other kids whose parents buy the whole car for them and they just thrash it around.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just don't think someone that isn't even in college has the maturity to drive responsibly with a car like this. I don't mean it as a put down to the younger generation, you'll probabally agree when you get to my ripe old age of 25. It's hard to see it when you're that young (I thought the same thing at 16).

For my kids, they're driving a crappy wagon with rust and holes in the muffler when that time comes. If you're going to get something you have to earn it ALL by yourself. You shouldn't NEED motivation to get good grades or work hard. Go work in a factory for a year and that should be all the motivation you'll need.

Good grades are a reward in themselves, and if ya got a 4.0 then try challengeing yourself some more. Believe me, you'll need it when you get in the real world.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Benjamin
I believe that I'm speaking for a small but significant minority of us young people when I say that there are plenty of us that do indeed earn our toys.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zanardi50
Old 02-03-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez, this thread has really gotten tangential. I agree the perception seems skewed by many since most of us did not grow up on the Internet. When I was in college, internet was mostly restricted to university email systems. Downloads were still accessed via newsgroups and ftp protocol. Internet truly has gone global. I think kids are more aware of the world and such things like sportscars than generations past.

As for some kids getting S2000s or Ferraris and others busting their ass off for a Daewoo, face it, life isn't fair. Some of these rich kids will driver nicer cars when they grow up b/c they worked hard for it or got an inheritance. Some of these rich kids will drive clunkers when they grow up b/c they screwed around or got screwed by someone else. Some of the poor kids will drive nicer cars when they grow up b/c they worked hard for it or luckily won the lotto. Some of the poor kids will continue to drive clunkers b/c they screwed around or got screwed by someone else. It's like medicine. Some people die of lung cancer b/c they smoked 3 packs per day for 50 years. Some die of lung cancer b/c they smoked 1/2 pack per day for 3 years. Some live to 105 years old despite smoking 4 packs per day for 70 years.

As a doctor once told me, "Life ain't fair. Suck it up." Your energy is better spent enjoying your S2000 than moan at some 16 year-old high school kid with a nice set of wheels.

I drove a so-so car in high school and college. I earned good grades, worked some to save some money, and graciously accepted a nice gift during medical school. I went to med school so that I can genuinely help people. I like to think I'm more empathetic than the doctor who told me to suck it up, but that's reality. I see bad people get away with things while a good 22 year-old kid dies of a bad brain cancer.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kpdx01

Quick Reply: Why so many teens have $$$ cars?