Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why so many teens have $$$ cars?

Old 01-22-2004, 07:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i think those of us who have kids can really talk here... about the real world... experience makes a difference.

i have a 14 year old and a 16 year old. My son drives my other cars and i let him drive the S with me around. he uses the car about 80 % of the time to go to and from school ,work, tutors, and shuffle his sister around.

after much thought, as long as he cooperates has he has done, with reasonable attitude and behavior, his grades maintain a B average or better, and uses some of his money to take care of it, i will buy him a first car, not new, but something he likes and i approve of.

i expect he will end up with a 4 door sedan, maybe a 92-93 bmw 325 or 525 or a more recent maxima or volvo 850. he also wants a 5 speed which is really fine by me. he also wants the 4 door sedan, which is also fine by me.

my first car was $150 and a real beater, my folks did not know beans about cars or care one bit...lucky for my son he has a carnut father, who incidentially took him to the one day skip barber school so i would be sure he had experience with car control.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RazorV3
in this country if you work hard(and smart), you get the things you want.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:24 PM
kvn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to school where most of the student's parents are very well off with big houses and $$$ to spend on their kids. While lots of my older friends (who can drive) have nice cars and in my school parking lot i see Bmws, A4s, X5, ML, SC430, S2000, TSX, TL just to name a few. I don't see how evreyone jsut labels them as "non-responsible kids with overpowered' cars supported by their stupid parents to buy thme such niec cars"

I think it is a double edged sword. I see lots of teens driving very fast and crazy-like with old civics or beater cars.. and i know that they think "O its a beater car, it donest matter how fast i go or if i crash it, its only worth a few hundred $$$ so i can drink n drive with no problem". While the kids with nice cars think "i cant wreak this car, its such a nice car and i love it, anyone comes near it il kill him " but then i wonder, what is going to happen to them after he crashes.. or someone crashes into him, since hes such a crazy driver with an very old beater.. if anyone just touches him, he mght be seriously hurt.

So this "problem" is not solved jsut by giving your kid/teen a old beater car to "practice on". I would rather have him take up racing lessons after he gets his licesense, so he knows how to drive/react when hes going fast or when hes driving in snow or whatever. This way he can also know his limits by testing them in a safe area with teachers. I wuoldnt feel save if my son/daughter was driving fast in an old civic ready to fall apart on contact... but that doesnt mean il by them an M3 jsut bcuz its "german".
Old 01-22-2004, 09:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

nm
Old 01-22-2004, 10:38 PM

Hey s2kp.....
So i take it im a shit head hmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????j/k- let me think? Im 20 gonna be 21 in 3 months and jus got an 03 s2. Thats besides the point, in all honesty i didn't put the money down for my car my parents did(thanks mom)lol- Anyway i work 35+hrs a week and go to school full time(15 units). I also used to drive a civic then worked my way up to what i have now, but i have to make the payments. I was tought to learn what the meaning of "Responsibilty" meant. This is how i was able to establish my credit and furthermore to put it under my name and my name only. Some might say Spoiled! I say i deserve it and it's because i now have to take on the responsibility of all the financial matters. My parents feel im responsible enough! this is why= I currently work as an Architectural drafter/3d designer and handle other matters within the office. I make more than enough now to pay my own bills including small things like a cell phone,etc..... But jus because ur young and recieve the assistance of ur parents early doesn't mean ur suppossed to lay back and be lazy. No way in hell am i gonna do that!-I'm gonna work my way up to a higher pay, help my parents out, and in the future im gonna get my kid what he wants too. Jus as long as i feel he desrves it and earned it! why not? i maintianed my grades, got a job, and im going to school yadi yadi!!!!!!!!!!!! But in the end i feel i deserve it jus as my parents thought. And to all u "teen" s2k owners out there CHEERS same to the non-haters and understanding people-
Old 01-22-2004, 11:29 PM

Some "kids" ie young adults are really ambitious though... I can guarantee if I had some type of plan and always looked for oppurtunities when I was 16, I'd be able to afford a nice or at least new car right now in college.. but I just played out the normal lifecycle, money-making isn't my top priority... But ya, majority have rich parents ... Some were born with a silver spoon in their mouths, some know the value of a dollar, different people, different lifestyles.. But c'mon now, if your parents offer you a nice car with no strings attached, I don't care who you are, you take it.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by EvoVII
Some "kids" ie young adults are really ambitious though... I can guarantee if I had some type of plan and always looked for oppurtunities when I was 16, I'd be able to afford a nice or at least new car right now in college.. but I just played out the normal lifecycle, money-making isn't my top priority... But ya, majority have rich parents ... Some were born with a silver spoon in their mouths, some know the value of a dollar, different people, different lifestyles.. But c'mon now, if your parents offer you a nice car with no strings attached, I don't care who you are, you take it.
That isn't really the point...of course you will take it...you are a kid. That is why kids are supposed to have parents. Parents are "supposed" to make the tough decisions and not bow to their child's whims. A kid would like to watch 10 hours of TV a day too, but that doesn't me he/she should. A kid would like to eat macaroni and cheese with gummy worms in it too, but again....not too healthy. You ever see those talk shows with the mom's and their 150lb 10 yr olds...now give that parent 10 million dollars and you know the kid would be pimping some 60k car. It's the same attitude and it is detrimental. Of course every kid who has mommy and daddy's black card is going to say everything is fine.

My wife had parent's who liked to buy her everything (well her dad mostly), but around the age of 16 or so she told him to stop and starting making trying to make her own way. Of course they still bought here clothes and even a car (beater civic), but we are talking about two very different levels. Go watch that stupid show "rich girls" or "The simple life." Yeah, spoiling your kids does no damage at all....
Old 01-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Sen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kpdx01
Old 01-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read back through the postings and I think I know what is happening here. I remember when I was a teenager till let's say 23 or so, when I sat around with friends we would all talke about how "I'm not going to make my kids.... or I'm going to give my kids...." Then when I matured more I realized my parents were right on the button. They, by not giving me all I wanted (which was everything) were passing along their wisdom and values. I wonder what the younger people who posted are actually going to do when they have teenagers!.......... I also wonder whether much of the fault lies with their parents, who are so caught up in their own class appearance and materialistic bullshit society circle that they purchased expensive vehicles for their children just to keep up with the neighbourhood. My .02.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sen

Quick Reply: Why so many teens have $$$ cars?