Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why so many teens have $$$ cars?

Old 01-21-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so many teens have $$$ cars?

They probably don't. But the perception is that they do, because we have web forums now. While those of us 2x the age of these lucky bastards were growing up, the internet was a DARPA project or university email systems. Even if you didn't have a rich kid in your high school, can you imagine if there were just one kid out of 100 high schools who did? And they're all on the internet now, with varying degrees of grammatical, literary, and typing expertise. And from a memory/cog psych. perspective, those posts which are really outrageous stand out in our minds

Now these kids are are not just talking to their buddies at school, but the entire spectrum of auto enthusiasts.

Sure, I bet that the income gap probably explains some of this phenomenon, but I bet the Internet being available plays a big part.

This isn't any kind slam. I think if all of us grew up with the web and internet forums, we'd probably not be so surprized.

-Andrew
Old 01-21-2004, 06:13 PM

It's called the First National Bank of Mom and Dad.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you won't slam them, I will. I think that kids should start off with beaters and earn their way up. I mean, when did this idea that graduation entitles them to a new car start? And why should a kid with little experiance be allowed the power of something like an M3 (seen it done). I started on a sable wagon and progressed up earning my own way. I still don't have a good one, but I will someday. And I think that makes you appreciate it all the more.

Just my bitch.....
Old 01-21-2004, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is one of those never-ending debate topics.

if they can, they can.
their money, their parents money, not my money,
who cares.

i'd be a happy parent if i can do the same to my kids, tho.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:28 PM

btw, one of my friends got brand-new yellow modena for his highschool graduation.
dang!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:34 PM

dang is right!! Some kid got a new m3 when i graduated some years ago
Old 01-21-2004, 07:41 PM

I believe that I'm speaking for a small but significant minority of us young people when I say that there are plenty of us that do indeed earn our toys. There are many more opportunities to make a decent income as a teenager today than there were 20 or even 10 years ago.

Most of this shift happened in the technology industry, where it is no longer what you know or what your education is that determines your income ability - it's what you know and what you can do that matters most.

This is at least partially to blame for the increase of young people with "$$$ cars." What's sad about my peers is that too many of them spend their money unwisely. I think that a lesson on retirement economics, compounding interest (both earned interest and charged interest) should be required public education before one reaches a working age. It's tempting and feasible to lease a new S2000 for $400 a month. That's not much more than I was putting into repairs in my first car - an Oldsmobile that I saved up $2000 to purchase.

Having earned my wheels, I can assure you that I have similar feelings about *anyone* who is given a luxury of such great value and responsibility without having to earn it. I feel sorry mostly for the recipients of such gifts. Giving kids new cars for birthdays or graduation, especially nice cars like an S2000, sends the message that material display of wealth is important in life, and that having things is a higher priority than learning their value.

Please though, don't fall into the habit of age prejudice. If you feel that jealous, I would recommend spending some time rethinking your priorities - and attempt to realign your actions and reactions with those morals that we all think we have.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:53 PM
dmz

While I don't think that there is anything wrong in providing good things for their kids. But, if they already have everything they want what drives them to learn and work hard to accomplish anything? Sadly the majority of those rich kids are setup to fail when they grow up. Let's just hope their parent will leave them enough money to last them a life time.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Banned

Drew2002. I live across the road from a high school and I am constantly amazed at the vehicles they are driving to school. I bought my first vehicle (a international harvester pickup!) at a wreckers and then had to rebuild the box, interior and engine! I installed an 8 track and hit the road! Would I have taken a new MG from my parents? Sure! But things were different then. The only kids that drove new cars, worked and earned them, or else they were spoiled rotten and we all knew it. I have teenagers now and they will earn their first wheels. Then they will also respect and take care of them because they will know what it took to get them. I hate to sound like an old geezer but we will reep what we have sewn. Check out statistics for juvenile crime and assaults today versus the 60's. I hate to also say this but my generation created these kids....
Old 01-21-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Euclid
It's called the First National Bank of Mom and Dad.

Quick Reply: Why so many teens have $$$ cars?