Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is it so hard finding a replacement for my S2000?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm surprised you're not looking at NSXs, they're a bit more than 24K, but maybe it would be nice to switch to a mid engine platform for a change. You've had quite a few FR cars in the past, maybe it's time to try a different driving dynamic?

I've had experience tracking a factory stock 370Z (job related) and owning/tracking an E36 M3. The Z is a very grippy car from the factory, has a relatively nice interior, and can take abuse pretty well. The two issues seem to be the concentric clutch mechanism malfunctioning, causing the clutch pedal to drop on the floor, and the need to upgrade factory brake pads and fluids (should be done on a tracked car anyway IMO). I was never a fan of the coarse engine as it left a lot to be desired in higher RPMs.

The E36 M3 is a good daily driver/track car mix. I'd even go as far as saying it's an ideal mix of performance and comfort, as all M3s are. It's the cheapest to get into and has a huge following where many owners use the car for track days. My M3 was a very mild setup with just Koni shocks and 245s all around. It was a fun car to own but it always lacked engagement on the track because it was almost too easy to drive fast. It's a very consistent car and I'd highly recommend it for people who want to start attending track days, but to be honest, it got boring fast. It's certainly not as exciting as the S2000 on track, though it's a much better road car.

Out of your short list, I'd definitely lean towards an E46 M3, preferably in proper manual. You can never go wrong with an M3, it just doesn't feel as right as it should.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

What about selling your c5z, I am guessing it will be around 20k or more depending on mileage/year and picking up a c6z?

Those can be right in your price range 24k + ~20k from c5z = mint low mileage c6z! ... especially with the c7 out and about.

Oh and before everyone stones me to death for the nasty plastic c6z interior, if you shop around you can find one with some nice factory option interiors (I think 2011+)

Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Your reviews are pretty much what I thought when I test drove those cars. The mustang is really underrated imo, and I'm thinking long and hard about getting one, esp the new one coming up. I'm not a track rat like you, nor do I have any realistic expectation of becoming one, so the stang makes the most sense, and you really don't see alot of 2013 GTs around here, a crap ton of V6s yes, but not a lot of GTs, esp with the track pack. And you search hard and long, you could find a base model with the track pack and can get it for under 30K these days new, and that's a friggin steal. The E46 M3 is a nice car, but time isn't lenient on them, their interiors are known to deteriorate and let's not get into the usual euro electronics bashing, so for me it's sort of a wash, on one hand I have a better interior that's aging significantly, on the other hand I have a brand new interior. Don't get me wrong, the bmw inteiror is still the winner here, but for me it's no longer a huge advantage.
I love what you said about the 370z, alot of folks here constantly criticise it for being a porker etc but I found the driving dynamic to be, like you said, alot like the E46M, although I'm not good enough to really pick out the sublte differences. But I like the car lot, just kind of skeptical about the durability about the cars, I hope some 370Z owners chime in regarding that.
Honestly, the S2000 is great, but I don't like the huge gap between it'd dr jerkyl and mr hyde personalities. The mr hyde side is friggin awesome, but the dr jerkyl side makes you really grind your teeth; I have a friggin quick sports car, why do I need to drop 2-3 gears to pass a friggin a minivan? How much weight would it have added if the friggin sun visor was able to swing out so the left side of my head wouldn't burn? So I get why you're looking around.
The FRS and BRZ are an enigma to me, they pretty much made the car I always wanted... and this is going to shock some here but I wish Honda made it; a Honda interior with a K series engine for <25K would have been a done deal for me. The engine is the big letdown for me, lacks power, the Subaru tuning again falls short (remember the late 2009 stis? Now this torque dip? ugh), and it's a boxer engine which is great only it doesnt really give me a reason to tolerate it, spark plugs, head gaskets (known issues with subarus, although I believe these are using the new thicker ones), and belts. I'm sure the handling would have been just fine with an I4.
For me, on your list, it'd come down to your vette or the stang, but given your stable, I'd go vette. I need the versatility of the stang, but since you have a friggin M3 as a DD, you can have an impractical toy. Enjoy it man!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
Originally Posted by Nandska' timestamp='1375040877' post='22692077
any thoughts regarding a Z4M?
It crossed my mind, but they're hard to find, a lot more expensive than an otherwise comparable M3, and have a relatively limited aftermarket. If a decent example dropped into my lap, sure I'd consider it.
How about the "clownshoe" Z3 M Coupe? Just trying to give you another option as you have also looked at a 99 M3.

http://www.mcoupebuyersguide.com/listings/
Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A 2
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1375050704' post='22692290
[quote name='Nandska' timestamp='1375040877' post='22692077']
It crossed my mind, but they're hard to find, a lot more expensive than an otherwise comparable M3, and have a relatively limited aftermarket. If a decent example dropped into my lap, sure I'd consider it.
How about the "clownshoe" Z3 M Coupe? Just trying to give you another option as you have also looked at a 99 M3.

http://www.mcoupebuy...e.com/listings/
[/quote]

It has a crappy rear suspension design and felt very cramped when I sat in one. Rarity probably drives the price up (just guessing).

Here's another option: How about a brand new 2014 370Z w/ Sport Package? Nissan just slashed prices on them to better compete against the BRZ, and I can get one @ my local dealer for $30K, and Nissan is offering 0% financing for 60 months. The catfish mouth is gone, and it would have a full warranty. Seats, brake hardware, tires, etc. s/b all good enough to hit the track off the showroom floor. Yes, I'll need better pads and ducting, and eventually want to add another fuel pump to prevent starvation @ high g's.

Then I'd just have to decide which color to pick.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Do those have factory oil coolers now?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nate7
Do those have factory oil coolers now?
I believe they added them in the 2012 models.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes - I may still need to upsize it, but it's a start and installation s/b easier since the lines are already in place.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Looking at the new Z bumper, and I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but... I like the older bumper better. Has a lot of character and it fits the overall design of the car. Quirky, over the top, yeah, but this new bumper just sorta is bland. Frankly, they coulda just took the old bumper and take away the teeth and that would have appeased the masses.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
Originally Posted by A 2' timestamp='1375126677' post='22694078
[quote name='Chris S' timestamp='1375050704' post='22692290']
[quote name='Nandska' timestamp='1375040877' post='22692077']

http://www.mcoupebuy...e.com/listings/
[/quote]

It has a crappy rear suspension design and felt very cramped when I sat in one. Rarity probably drives the price up (just guessing).

Here's another option: How about a brand new 2014 370Z w/ Sport Package? Nissan just slashed prices on them to better compete against the BRZ, and I can get one @ my local dealer for $30K, and Nissan is offering 0% financing for 60 months. The catfish mouth is gone, and it would have a full warranty. Seats, brake hardware, tires, etc. s/b all good enough to hit the track off the showroom floor. Yes, I'll need better pads and ducting, and eventually want to add another fuel pump to prevent starvation @ high g's.

Then I'd just have to decide which color to pick.

[/quote]

WoW, which local dealer in Texas is this? At $30,000 for a new 14 with sport package I will bite.

Quick Reply: Why is it so hard finding a replacement for my S2000?