Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is it so hard finding a replacement for my S2000?

Old 07-28-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

+1

You have the car you want - you just can't stop shopping for another car, that's all. You definitely have car ADD.

Heck, your recent shenanigans have ME shopping for new cars and I own a rare S2000 (GPW, 2008, red/black interior, super low miles) that I'll never be able to find again if I sell it!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
+1

You have the car you want - you just can't stop shopping for another car, that's all. You definitely have car ADD.

Heck, your recent shenanigans have ME shopping for new cars and I own a rare S2000 (GPW, 2008, red/black interior, super low miles) that I'll never be able to find again if I sell it!
but you'll get more $$ for it!!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christople
Chris S, you are doing what I would be doing if I had tons of cash, job security, and a place to store my cars.
I forget your total track history so let me drum up what I can remember...
You had S2000 you did for the track, then got the NC Miata which could keep up with your S2000 due to lightweight, better brakes, and easier to drive at the limit.
After the Miata you got a C6 Vette?
Did the track mods to the C6 and then got the ZR1?
Now you got the ultimate daily driver E90 M3 which is cool (unless you wanted the stick shift and kept it off the track I'd venture for the IS-F but thats me)

You just got the C5 Z06 and dumped a 08 S2000.

So now if what I recall is correct... you are now looking for another track mobile

Not sure if you have been keeping up with Edmunds Inside Line but they have a FRS with a supercharger on it now and everytime they take it to the track they have dumped alot of money into it and still find something that needs upgraded. I think if you add all what they have done to it on top of the cost of the car they are at $35k and still haven't touched brakes other than pads.

I'm gonna be the crazy one here and recommend unicorns: what about a Mustang R back in the early 2000's?
Might be harder to find... but out of the list that you mentioned I would go with the 370Z just because its something new and who knows you might like it... but coming from the Z06 I think you might learn to appreciate and look at it from a new perspective. I think the 370Z needs cooling upgrades for track use

this could have been quikag i dont remember...
Yes, I've def. been through more than a few track cars. Over the last decade, I've had 3 S2000's, a Cayman S, an NB Miata, an NC Miata, my M3, and my Z06. I have to admit, I'm constantly scheming how I might shift my cars around to mix things up - not necessarily to cure any dissatisfaction w/ what I have. Unlike some enthusiasts, I don't really aspire to any ultimate car or collection of cars - I just enjoy a wide variety of experiences w/ fun rides. Each successive car doesn't necessarily need to be faster than its predecessor as long as I can have a good time driving it. I don't think I could enjoy a Mustang R - isn't that a pure track car? (I don't and won't tow anything to the track unless it has 2 wheels)

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
For $24k, you could track your Z for a decade.

+1

True, one of my friends in Austin is always accusing me of having automotive ADD. Nothing wrong w/ the S2000 or C5Z, life is just too short to settle on one car for too long!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
friends in Austin is always accusing me of having automotive ADD. Nothing wrong w/ the S2000 or C5Z, life is just too short to settle on one car for too long!
I feel the same way! i can never decide & always looking forward to the next car lol
Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 PM

Since the car is tracked, why not just get a harness and solve the seat belt issue? Have you ever seen Matt Farah's modified c5 vette? He's a host on drive's /tuned and the smoking tire and his base c5 has race seats, harness, coilovers, wheels and tires and engine mods and I think it's the best looking and sounding corvette I've ever seen.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

another +5000 for the C5Z. take care of the seats and have a blast. if you think it's much superior than the other cars you've driven wait till you put some more mods on it
Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 AM

If this is a track only car what about something like a Super 7 replica? Now you have something really light, better through the corners than most road cars, great power to weight, the aero of a brick with a parachute yet unlike a FF you can still drive it to the track.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan2949
Since the car is tracked, why not just get a harness and solve the seat belt issue? Have you ever seen Matt Farah's modified c5 vette? He's a host on drive's /tuned and the smoking tire and his base c5 has race seats, harness, coilovers, wheels and tires and engine mods and I think it's the best looking and sounding corvette I've ever seen.
I've already bought Recaros w/ side mounts, sliding brackets, Sparco harnesses, and Brey-Krause harness bar. Problem is getting the seats to frickin' fit w/o removing the OEM belts, which I'm not willing to do. (it has to be capable of dual purpose use and worthy of passing inspection any time).

Originally Posted by rockville
If this is a track only car what about something like a Super 7 replica? Now you have something really light, better through the corners than most road cars, great power to weight, the aero of a brick with a parachute yet unlike a FF you can still drive it to the track.
It's not a track-only car. Super 7 reps are awesome, but it's very hot here at times, and can rain w/ little notice. The main reason I sold my S2000 was to get a closed roof car, and it better have great A/C as well.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan2949' timestamp='1375082169' post='22692787
I've already bought Recaros w/ side mounts, sliding brackets, Sparco harnesses, and Brey-Krause harness bar. Problem is getting the seats to frickin' fit w/o removing the OEM belts, which I'm not willing to do. (it has to be capable of dual purpose use and worthy of passing inspection any time).

Originally Posted by rockville
It's not a track-only car. Super 7 reps are awesome, but it's very hot here at times, and can rain w/ little notice. The main reason I sold my S2000 was to get a closed roof car, and it better have great A/C as well.
easy, daytona coupe replica if you must have another car

ive read about c5 owners swapping c6 seatbelts in, and then putting viper seats in- best option for the street imo
Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Why is it so hard finding a replacement for my S2000?
Because while the S2000 is not the best car at any one thing, IMO it IS the best blend of performance, fun-to-drive, purchase price, running cost, reliability, and repairability. The only major fault is that as a convertible, and some organizations don't allow it in their events. I don't know if there is any car out there that is better than the S2000 in all of those criteria. Usually if a car is superior in one, it's inferior in another.

Quick Reply: Why is it so hard finding a replacement for my S2000?