Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why not the TT-S?

Old 05-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, using internet BS to back up more BS does nothing. Not that there wasn't an issue to begin with but how many people post 'hey, no problems with my fuel pump'...exactly, as a general rule those with problems do the posting. Yes, BMW switched manufacturers for the high pressure fuel pump in mid 08 and I haven't seen it be an issue on unmodified cars. BMW also change the ECU around the same time and I'm not sure exactly what they did but it was an attempt to make the car less mod friendly...it caused all of the tuners to have to re-tune for the recent changes. Again, I only have personal experience to speak from...obviously no match for internet here say. My car has been modified since the first month I've owned it and none of rampant internet problems have surfaced. My 03 M3 had the BMW service bulletin performed for the bearing failure issue and the ones that were replaced in my car were flawless. My point here is is again...the people without issues (happens to be the vast majority) aren't the one's your sighting. When the S2000 first came it there were many #4 piston failures and it wasn't uncommon to read about it on THIS FORUM...again, most of us with early production cars experienced NO ISSUES.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:37 PM

Do you read? Within a few days of daily driving a 335, the fuel pump failed. I purposely drove the car hard in an attempt to induce what I had hoped would not happen. It was an 08 with under 10k on it. Your experience may be different than mine, but it doesn't discount the fear that I would have of owning the car, especially after the incident.

If it's not an issue as you say, they why would BMW even create an extended warranty on the fuel pump?

Enjoy your 335, I know I would if I wasn't afraid of the HPFP. I'm not interested in their extended warranty because a car out of commission is a PITA. BTW, it's occurred on 08's and 09's without any mods. Also, there were many versions of the "retuned" ECU, because of complaints of turbo lag and other forms of neutering. Unfortunately, they didn't get the reprogram right the first time as you imply, and apparently they still haven't.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lithium Lotus,May 28 2009, 11:02 AM
Overpriced for what you get. You can get a 370Z+ mods or a Corvette for the price of a TTS.
But on the other hand EVERYBODY and their brother has a Z,Vette, or 3 series . They are a dime a dozen . On a daily basis you see 10 Z's , 20 Vettes, and 50 3 series. These cars are everywhere! That is what I like about having something different like the S . You only see 2 or 3 of these a day. Not as common as Corn Flakes
Best bet here is wait and get a 4 or 5 yr old CPO Cayman S . At 5 yr mark I think Porsche retains 46 percent of its value so that should be somewhere around the 30 thousand mark if you can wait. The only trick would be to find one in a color you like and one with low mileage.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=Silverstreak HX,May 28 2009, 06:19 PM] But on the other hand EVERYBODY and their brother has a Z,Vette, or 3 series . They are a dime a dozen . On a daily basis you see 10 Z's , 20 Vettes, and 50 3 series. These cars are everywhere! That is what I like about having something different like the S . You only see 2 or 3 of these a day. Not as common as Corn Flakes
Best bet here is wait and get a 4 or 5 yr old CPO
Old 05-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by tarheel91,May 28 2009, 08:34 PM
Maybe it's a difference of location, but I definitely don't see 10 Z's or 20 Vettes a day. I remember seeing 2 Z's today and not a single Vette during about 2 hours of driving. Then again, I also saw 0 Cayman's (though normally I see 1-2). Plus, is it conceivable that someone doesn't care about that and just wants a car they find good looking and that performs the best for their money?
Correct, I am not looking for exclusivity. But I also find the 370Z uninspiring to drive and the Vette to be completely focused on maximum power and speed at the lowest price at the expense of all else, which I'm not really into. Just my tastes of course, I've got respect for both vehicles.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Banned

Why not the TT-S? Simply because it's freaking $50K - a price that can buy more "desirable" cars.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:43 PM

While not the S model, here's a review of the RS model, and it appears to be a big disappointment.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...&mktid=cj260233
Old 05-29-2009, 03:54 AM

Wrong again...they don't change ECU's due to turbo lag...they reflash which they did earlier on. They changed ECU's for better data logging (ie. determine who's doing what as far as mods) because they knew people were bumping boost on their pricey engine. How did you diagnose the hpfp and how did you verify that the car was previously un-modified? Again, you're missing my point...you drove 1 car of which there are many thousands of on the road without issue. I live in Florida (where it's very hot) and beat the piss out of my car on an almost daily basis and have zero issues...the multiple BMWCCA events and car club type meetings I run into lots of other 335/135 owners many of which are also modified. Have some of them had issues...sure, but the majority of us have not. The reason I referenced my M3 was because BMW extended the warranty to 100K miles on the M3 due to the blown of proportion incident with bearing failures...I'm sure it was more of politically motivated move to stop bad 'press' which is the same thing they did with the hpfp.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 AM

LOL. Earlier versions of the "retune" CAUSED turbo lag in attempt to protect the parts they thought were malfunctioning. Later versions corrected this. The car was dealership owned. I have no documentation or proof other than the word of the salesman that it was a demo car. Doubt many demo cars are modified, just beaten the piss out of. The car took a bit of time to start, which wasn't really an issue for me. I already knew this was one of the symptoms, but I continued on my way anyway. On the last day I had it (of course because I returned it the same day it happened), I was accelerating quickly onto the freeway and started noticing vibrating. It was light at first so I thought it may have been loose gravel and the RFTs. It got worse and engine light came on. It limped all the way back to the dealership. I'm just glad it made it that far and I promptly thanked my salesman. He called me back a few day latter apologizing (it was the the fuel pump) and asked me if I was interested in a 328.

And you're missing MY point... if it's not really an issue, then WHY would BMW go out of their way to create an extended warranty? This isn't some sort of minor issue, it will severely cut power, and god forbid someone have it happen to them as they are switching lanes and a vehicle is coming up too fast behind them to switch lanes. I'd rather not take the risk personally, especially since it had happened in a car I'd only had for a few days.

IMO if it was politically motivated, they should have just made it a recall. They can't identify the problem and some people are blaming it on the type of fuel used, which is ridiculous.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 PM

lol didn't know the fuel pump was such an issue. i drove an auto and it had significant boost lag stock, almost like a small displacement vortech supercharged car.

Quick Reply: Why not the TT-S?