Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why not the TT-S?

Old 05-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not the TT-S?

I'm looking seriously at moving on from the S after over 5 years, but I have to admit that I'm having trouble finding something that makes sense to me. I don't particularly want to make this (yet another) buying decision thread, but just as background I want something new, RWD/AWD, light weight, and 2 door. 370Z doesn't feel good to me, Vettes aren't my cup of tea, and I just find BMWs too ugly to tolerate. I'd love a Cayman S, but the expense makes it a hard choice.

I keep coming back to the TT-S for something that compromises a bit from the CS. I think it looks great and performance seems like it should be strong. I'm kind of surprised that it never seems to come up here at all, and I'm curious why those who have been car shopping recently have thrown it out (or didn't consider it at all)...

Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would lease one. It is a very nice looking car.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:41 PM

i like it too!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:46 PM

i looked at it but a brand new one is out of my price range (and used ones aren't available).

besides, i've already got a 4-cylinder turbo, AWD car - WRX w/mucho mods
Old 05-25-2009, 08:08 PM

I would say that the TT-S is too close to the TT.

I love the TT-RS as far as an upgrade but not the TT-S.

Cayman S is definitely the next level.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Pictures do not do these cars justice. They look so nice in person. Just so freaking sleek and stylish.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xmatt,May 25 2009, 07:09 PM
I'm looking seriously at moving on from the S after over 5 years, but I have to admit that I'm having trouble finding something that makes sense to me. I don't particularly want to make this (yet another) buying decision thread, but just as background I want something new, RWD/AWD, light weight, and 2 door. 370Z doesn't feel good to me, Vettes aren't my cup of tea, and I just find BMWs too ugly to tolerate. I'd love a Cayman S, but the expense makes it a hard choice.

I keep coming back to the TT-S for something that compromises a bit from the CS. I think it looks great and performance seems like it should be strong. I'm kind of surprised that it never seems to come up here at all, and I'm curious why those who have been car shopping recently have thrown it out (or didn't consider it at all)...

We love Audi, but generally find them less than "playful." I haven't driven a TT-S, but at ~3000-3100 pounds, 270 hp, and $45k base price... I'm not bowled over by any of those specs.

I think it makes a decent compromise car. But you can get a used 911 for that price....
Old 05-25-2009, 08:14 PM

it looks great but there is no performance and that price is just crazy.

335 coupe all the way!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A compromise to a Cayman S? It's a hyper-Beetle. A base Cayman is what you compromise to instead of a Cayman S.

At least this generation is looking better. Doesn't really do anything for me seeing as the only drivetrain choices are FWD (retarded, especially at that price) or AWD (pointless in that car).
Old 05-25-2009, 08:24 PM

$45k seems like a lot, but then it's only $10k more than an S2000 CR and about $20k less than a similarly-optioned CS (Porsche options are *insane*). I don't think I'd really want many options over the base car.

The 335 does seem nice, but I have to admit that the reason I'm not that interested is that they're common as Camrys around here and I kind of dislike sports cars that feel like they were mean to be sedans.

I guess I really just need to test drive it and see how it feels. I worry that the S has completely spoiled me for driving enjoyment and only the Porsche is going to feel like a true upgrade...

Quick Reply: Why not the TT-S?