Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why no Honda V8?

Old 05-27-2005, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no Honda V8?

Something to think about this weekend, why is there no Honda V8 in any production vehicle? Every other major manufacturer has one. Technology shows they can be designed to be efficient. Honda is clearly one of the world's advanced engine manufacturers and has proven V8 race engines. Is it cost? Minimalist philosphy? I do not believe Honda/Acura can be a leader in the US truck or luxury car segments without a V8 engine.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this topic has been discussed many times...
Old 05-27-2005, 02:34 PM

I think Honda just doesn't want to go into the horsepower wars. They can put a V8 into the RL/Legend, but the current one already has gotten rave reviews, despite the fact that its competition is full of V8s and are faster.

Yea, I agree, its kinda pointless to build an awesome racing engine, making a name of it, and not selling it. Its a lot like advertising for a product that doesn't even exist. Heck, wasn't the s2000's engine built by the motorcycle division of research?
Old 05-27-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I read on this forum some time ago that Honda doesn't believe in V8 because they don't want to pollute the environment.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I've learned over the years that the mind of mother Honda is inscrutable. Don't bother trying to figure that one out.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Various excuses from the Honda fanboi's.

They don't need to because their V6's are just as good and get better fuel mileage (wrong and wrong).
Honda does not believe in V8's.
Honda does not want to pollut the environment.
Honda has a history of small displacement motors with technology.

Blah, blah ... blah.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:14 PM

I can't think of a good answer for Honda's current product strategy, especially for Acura. The lack of a FR platform and a v8 are going to cost them big time in the premium segment. One could say that Honda is a conservative company, and they turn a consistant profit by making the most from the least. However, that would hardly explain why they would build cars like the S2k or NSX (ie non-volume sports cars that share next to nothing in terms of components with the rest of their line).
Old 05-28-2005, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by steve c,May 27 2005, 03:43 PM
Various excuses from the Honda fanboi's.

They don't need to because their V6's are just as good and get better fuel mileage (wrong and wrong).
Honda does not believe in V8's.
Honda does not want to pollut the environment.
Honda has a history of small displacement motors with technology.

Blah, blah ... blah.
So what's the real reason then? You speak as if you know something else.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Caffeinated21,May 27 2005, 08:14 PM

I can't think of a good answer for Honda's current product strategy, especially for Acura. The lack of a FR platform and a v8 are going to cost them big time in the premium segment. One could say that Honda is a conservative company, and they turn a consistant profit by making the most from the least. However, that would hardly explain why they would build cars like the S2k or NSX (ie non-volume sports cars that share next to nothing in terms of components with the rest of their line).
Yeah, that's the thing, Honda is a logical company and I don't understand why they seem to have this resistance to anything over 6 cylinders. In previous decades, maximizing specific output in small dispalcement engines may have been the best strategy. But today, with dynamic displacement and other technologies, displacement and cylinders are no longer a barrier to efficiency or emissions compliance. Add the fact that all serious truck, luxury, sport, and now near-luxury segments are using RWD with efficient front V8s it seems that Honda is at a serious disadvantage. The only reason I can see is if development costs for a new engine are just too high. I dont know, I'm not an engineer, but it seems that if they've spent the money on great racing V8s wouldn't some of that carry over to a street V8? I just don't understand the reasoning. I'm thinking the Ridgeline, as innovative as it is, will be seen a lot like the old T100 - just a sideshow until it comes with a V8. Acura's luxury cars too, until they can compete with Lexus, Infiniti, Caddy, Benz, etc, with a front V8 and pure RWD.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 6sigma,May 28 2005, 03:28 PM
The only reason I can see is if development costs for a new engine are just too high.
This is actually one of the reasons. There was a news article a while ago that says that building a Honda V8 factory woudl cost $1 billion, which in Honda's opinion, is too high.

Quick Reply: Why no Honda V8?