Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is the new CTR so slow?

Old 12-05-2017, 03:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GT350RS
LOL...So you chose it based on the brand...But you don't advocate Honda...And with that, you just made MY point.
yes, let's just assume I chose it based on the brand.

I don't care about the drivetrain of these cars because I have no plans of tracking this car (at least for now) and being in socal I don't have to worry much about bad weather situations.
Didn't choose the RS because I feel the exterior looks too boring and not a fan of the interior.
Didn't choose the STI because I don't like the fact that it's still using a motor from a decade ago.

Simple as that. I chose the Type R because I like the looks and the interior layout over the over 2 cars. I can careless which car performs better lol. The STI actually would've been my choice if it wasn't for the motor or their starlink infortaintment system.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

All the Issues With the Civic Type R and How Honda Is Fixing (One of) Them - The Truth About Cars
Old 12-05-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
It's a tiny 1.6 mile track.
Well I’d say it shows the CTR is pretty capable dynamically if it can run a time that close to the M2 despite the power deficit. The only place the M2 is likely gaining time is in the acceleration zones. For instance, the CTR beats the M235i(with less hp than the M2) by 1.3 seconds.

It was also tested to be 1 second faster than the Focus RS(actual competition to this car, not an M2 that costs ~25k more) on this track. Pretty impressive for a Civic.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
yes, let's just assume I chose it based on the brand.

I don't care about the drivetrain of these cars because I have no plans of tracking this car (at least for now) and being in socal I don't have to worry much about bad weather situations.
Didn't choose the RS because I feel the exterior looks too boring and not a fan of the interior.
Didn't choose the STI because I don't like the fact that it's still using a motor from a decade ago.

Simple as that. I chose the Type R because I like the looks and the interior layout over the over 2 cars. I can careless which car performs better lol. The STI actually would've been my choice if it wasn't for the motor or their starlink infortaintment system.
You own all Hondas as you said earlier, you test drove the RS and sti but then decided the type r was the one for you without driving it based on the looks inside and out. I'd say it's not an assumption you have a bias for Honda's. Not that there's anything wrong with that until you try and say that you don't.
Btw, what about the sti motor did you not like other than it was old?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brandondan1
Well I’d say it shows the CTR is pretty capable dynamically, if it can run a time that close to the M2 despite the power deficit. It was also tested to be 1 second faster than the Focus RS on that track. Pretty impressive for a Civic.
My point is power is not a factor on a 1.6 mile track. A crusty old 91 Civic SI can be faster than a C7Z06 on an autocross course....I'm sure the Civic handles very well but put it on something like VIR full or COTA and it will get blown out of the water.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
You own all Hondas as you said earlier, you test drove the RS and sti but then decided the type r was the one for you without driving it based on the looks inside and out. I'd say it's not an assumption you have a bias for Honda's. Not that there's anything wrong with that until you try and say that you don't.
Btw, what about the sti motor did you not like other than it was old?
Really doesn't matter to me whether you believe I am biased or not but I've already said my choice would've actually been the STI if it wasn't for the motor. I like the looks of the STI the best, and the interior being a happy median of the other two. They all drive pretty similiar (regular day to day driving) tbh with the STI having a little bit more turbo lag compared to the other 2.
regarding the motor, I just didn't feel like dropping 40 grand on a car that's still using a motor from a decade ago tbh. That's really the only reason lol. I know it sounds pretty stupid to some people but it is what it is lol. If it had some kind of a beefed up version of the FA series that's in the regular WRX right now, I probably would've gotten the STI.

Just from that reasoning alone, it was down to the RS or the Type R from the get go really. I only really went to test drive the STI because I've never driven one and wanted to see how it feels.
I've already also mentioned the reason why I DIDNT go for the RS. The seating position is very high, interior lay out felt cheap, and the looks is boring (although the exhaust sound sweet with the pops and bangs like I've said). I know some people prefer the more subtle, less "ricey" look and that's fine but that's just not for me.

To me, it's just entertaining to see Type R owners and Focus RS owners hate on each others cars lol. Not sure why they both need to justify their purchase over another by hating on each others car lol. They should be happy that there are making more cars in the similiar segment which might push other car makers to make a similiar car to compete with the current 3 available.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
My point is power is not a factor on a 1.6 mile track. A crusty old 91 Civic SI can be faster than a C7Z06 on an autocross course....I'm sure the Civic handles very well but put it on something like VIR full or COTA and it will get blown out of the water.
I agree to an extent, but a 1.6 mile track is not the same as an autocross course. For instance, an ND miata, which is super light/agile and dominates on an autox course, ran a 1:30 lap there, while the heavy/fwd CTR ran a 1:25. So while that track doesn't have super long straights, power still plays a role.

But yeah, totally agree that the car with better P/W ratio will be faster in a straight. It just goes back to the old argument... what do you prefer, outdriving people in the corners, or being able to mash the gas in a straight line? It's possible to have both if your pockets are deep enough, but at the Civic's price point I think it does a great job.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't understand the hate.

No one can objectively say Honda make bad cars. No one can objectively say CTR is a bad car. Just like no one can say objectively the RS is bad car, or the Golf R is a bad car, or the STI is a bad car, etc.

Do I think the Focus RS is a bad car? No. Would I get one if I was in the market for such type of car? Probably not. I'm just not a fan of it for various subjective reasons. That said, I really don't understand the title and the point of this thread. I think the title itself is a bit misleading and arguing what car is faster is really a moot point with today's technology. A Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE can out corner, out accelerate many cars costing twice, 3 times, or maybe even 4 times of its price. Does it mean the Camaro is better than those cars? Probably not. There is reasons those cars can be sold for 200k or 400k. I get this is car talk forum but it is not always about performance numbers. Sometime it is the intangible things in a car than make you tick.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

It's not hate, it's a disagreement that raises arguments from both sides that escalates the discussion. And despite numerous statements of hey if it works for you that's cool, eventually it gets interpreted as why you hating.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDonEffect:
boosted180sx (12-06-2017), Chibo (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ishtori5
I don't understand the hate.

No one can objectively say Honda make bad cars. No one can objectively say CTR is a bad car. Just like no one can say objectively the RS is bad car, or the Golf R is a bad car, or the STI is a bad car, etc.

Do I think the Focus RS is a bad car? No. Would I get one if I was in the market for such type of car? Probably not. I'm just not a fan of it for various subjective reasons. That said, I really don't understand the title and the point of this thread. I think the title itself is a bit misleading and arguing what car is faster is really a moot point with today's technology. A Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE can out corner, out accelerate many cars costing twice, 3 times, or maybe even 4 times of its price. Does it mean the Camaro is better than those cars? Probably not. There is reasons those cars can be sold for 200k or 400k. I get this is car talk forum but it is not always about performance numbers. Sometime it is the intangible things in a car than make you tick.
I owned a 16 STI Limited for 12 months and only could force myself to drive it 2,300 miles before I sold it. I can safely tell you that was a bad car.

Quick Reply: Why is the new CTR so slow?