Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is the new CTR so slow?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

boosted180sx, you nailed it. Not sure why you got accused of not reading the whole article/chart, because you clearly would need to read the whole article and whole scoring chart in order to see that the CTR lost points in interior styling and exterior styling big time, 6 points right there already. I'm in the same boat as you, the styling is actually more attractive to me haha!!
Old 12-01-2017, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT350RS
Better read the article again...

It won in the vehicle category 83 to 76.
It won the powertrain category 52 to 49
It lost in chassis 49 to 59...with 5 of those points being on one single item...ride.

Yes I do. The RS is more diverse. It's faster, better looking and can do more with AWD. It doesn't have anything to do with badges. I own a Honda just like the rest of you here.
The RS is also 5k+ more than a CTR. Yes I'm aware some dealers are marking the civic up but plenty of folks paid msrp for the vehicle.

Last edited by PawnShop23; 12-01-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CTR was only 3 tenths slower than an M2 @ Streets of Willow. I really want to drive one of these things.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GT350RS
Don't see how. The CTR is only JUST better than a car that has it's roots in a 6 year old C segment commuter car? I've read that same article, and the RS lost ONLY due to the stiffer ride over a long distance. That's not a performance characteristic, that's an opinion.
Wait...so is the CTR not based on civic which is also a C segment commuter car?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brandondan1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toVZvQJsqdQ

The CTR was only 3 tenths slower than an M2 @ Streets of Willow. I really want to drive one of these things.
It's a tiny 1.6 mile track.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ishtori5
Wait...so is the CTR not based on civic which is also a C segment commuter car?
he's just pointing out the fact that the focus rs is based off of a 2011 focus chassis while the Type R is based off of a much newer chassis.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
That's exactly what I mean. I said it won by only one point due to subjective parts of the comparison. The RS "won" in the vehicle category with majority of the point differential in exterior/interior/amenities which are all subjective. A lot of people don't like the fake vents and the outrageous looks it has.

So, once again it is all subjective to whoever is looking at it. To you, it's more faster, better looking. That's fine. I have nothing against that.
To me, I think the focus is too boring looking (maybe it’s the ricer in me speaking ), interior feels cheap, seating position is too high, its just as fast as the Type R (aside from a launch), however awd is a great thing to have but I dont really care for it here in socal. Only thing I like on the focus better than the Type R is the pops and crackles from the exhaust lol . The Type R definitely lacks in that department.

I still consider it a great car and can understand why people like it. It’s great that you like it. There are people out there who don’t agree. It's just the nature of the game.

i also don’t care for the badges. I like all cars in general. Import, or domestic. Just because I own all honda branded cars doesn't mean I'm an advocate to Honda. I give credit where credit is due. When I was looking for a new car, I test drove a new STI and the RS also before i ultimately decided to pick up the Type R instead. It was kind of a hard decision considering they didn't even let me test drive it, but I don't regret it one bit.
So how did you objectively decide to buy the type r if you didnt drive it,
Old 12-04-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

when did i say i chose the Type R objectively?
Old 12-05-2017, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
when did i say i chose the Type R objectively?
LOL...So you chose it based on the brand...But you don't advocate Honda...And with that, you just made MY point.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by woodburn
I wouldn’t even consider buying a focus over a civic type r and I’m a ford guy.
Only...It's a Focus RS. Perhaps because of the "Type R" nameplate being more known here in the US thanks to the Integra Type R...

In Europe and the rest of the world, the RS carries a different status. It's not "just a Focus" there. In fact, the RS name goes back a long, long time.

Quick Reply: Why is the new CTR so slow?