Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is the new CTR so slow?

Old 11-30-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
C&D compared the CTR and FoRS in this month's issue (print only for now). CTR won by 1 point out of 240. Got a perfect 25/25 in fun to drive. Was slower than the Ford (5.2 to 60, 13.9 1/4) but trapped 1mph higher despite being 0.5sec behind in the 1/4 (thanks to FWD) and was a few tenths off of the CTR they tested earlier for whatever reason. Regardless, they basically said the Ford had a better engine, but the CTR had a better chassis - able to handle and communicate very well while having nice ride quality.
To this....
Just want to point out that the RS is riding on a platform that's been around since the 2011 MY.
So this all-new CTR finished one point ahead of a car riding on a 6 year old platform.
I can concede that this Honda, styling aside, is a remarkable feat of engineering...But let's give credit where it's due to the Focus as well...
Old 11-30-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by GT350RS
To this....
Just want to point out that the RS is riding on a platform that's been around since the 2011 MY.
So this all-new CTR finished one point ahead of a car riding on a 6 year old platform.
I can concede that this Honda, styling aside, is a remarkable feat of engineering...But let's give credit where it's due to the Focus as well...
New focus is around the corner...
Old 11-30-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

To this....
But it's also the platform that they currently sell so your point is semi moot.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I think most would agree that a FWD car beating a higher-powered AWD car (both equally focused) is a feat in and of itself. You have to be better in just about every other area because you know you're going to lose in the acceleration tests (at a minimum).
Old 11-30-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Put another way, the CTR beat the 1-year-old Focus RS (RS came out as a 2016 model, CTR is 2017) without AWD, while giving up 44hp and costing $5k less as tested. That doesn't sound as good, does it?

The new-gen Focus RS doesn't exist yet, and isn't even a certainty to be produced at this point. If that happens in 2-4 years, then we can rematch. For now the CTR wins...
Old 11-30-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by VilleS2K
But it's also the platform that they currently sell so your point is semi moot.
Don't see how. The CTR is only JUST better than a car that has it's roots in a 6 year old C segment commuter car? I've read that same article, and the RS lost ONLY due to the stiffer ride over a long distance. That's not a performance characteristic, that's an opinion.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The whole article was based on opinions anyways.
It was a 1 point difference because the RS scored more on ergonomics, interior/exterior styling, features/amenities which are all subjective.

We get it, you prefer the RS over the CTR. There's nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
The whole article was based on opinions anyways.
It was a 1 point difference because the RS scored more on ergonomics, interior/exterior styling, features/amenities which are all subjective.

We get it, you prefer the RS over the CTR. There's nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.
Better read the article again...

It won in the vehicle category 83 to 76.
It won the powertrain category 52 to 49
It lost in chassis 49 to 59...with 5 of those points being on one single item...ride.

Yes I do. The RS is more diverse. It's faster, better looking and can do more with AWD. It doesn't have anything to do with badges. I own a Honda just like the rest of you here.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It lost in chassis 49 to 59...with 5 of those points being on one single item...ride.

Yes I do. The RS is more diverse. It's faster, better looking and can do more with AWD. It doesn't have anything to do with badges. I own a Honda just like the rest of you here.
That's exactly what I mean. I said it won by only one point due to subjective parts of the comparison. The RS "won" in the vehicle category with majority of the point differential in exterior/interior/amenities which are all subjective. A lot of people don't like the fake vents and the outrageous looks it has.

So, once again it is all subjective to whoever is looking at it. To you, it's more faster, better looking. That's fine. I have nothing against that.
To me, I think the focus is too boring looking (maybe it’s the ricer in me speaking ), interior feels cheap, seating position is too high, its just as fast as the Type R (aside from a launch), however awd is a great thing to have but I dont really care for it here in socal. Only thing I like on the focus better than the Type R is the pops and crackles from the exhaust lol . The Type R definitely lacks in that department.

I still consider it a great car and can understand why people like it. It’s great that you like it. There are people out there who don’t agree. It's just the nature of the game.

i also don’t care for the badges. I like all cars in general. Import, or domestic. Just because I own all honda branded cars doesn't mean I'm an advocate to Honda. I give credit where credit is due. When I was looking for a new car, I test drove a new STI and the RS also before i ultimately decided to pick up the Type R instead. It was kind of a hard decision considering they didn't even let me test drive it, but I don't regret it one bit.
The following users liked this post:
iforyou (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn’t even consider buying a focus over a civic type r and I’m a ford guy.

Quick Reply: Why is the new CTR so slow?